• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

villo0692

because I know that a lot of you ppl are prior air force enlisted, or AFROTC....and also that some of you have taken the AFOQT and TBAS...and did really good in it, as well as having flight experience....why was it that the AF told you that y'all were not good candidates again? it kind of blows my mind...if you google anything, it seems that they are hurting for fighter pilots, even opening the route for their enlisted ppl to commission....yet they reject people's applications....I just don't get it

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
because I know that a lot of you ppl are prior air force enlisted, or AFROTC....and also that some of you have taken the AFOQT and TBAS...and did really good in it, as well as having flight experience....why was it that the AF told you that y'all were not good candidates again? it kind of blows my mind...if you google anything, it seems that they are hurting for fighter pilots, even opening the route for their enlisted ppl to commission....yet they reject people's applications....I just don't get it

Ooooo where to begin. So I kept a log of all the people I talked to. Talked to two Tsgt's who told me to pound sand until I get my PPL. Then talked to a Msgt who listened to my story. Talked to her C/O some 2nd Lt UPT dropout. This was right when we went into COVID lockdown so was on a zoom call. The Msgt explained everything we talked about and things seemed to be going well. Then the 2nd Lt asked "why didn't you just take another job in ROTC?". I explained how being a pilot was my dream and how my ROTC commander and his XO (O6,O5) told me to never give up on my dreams. The Msgt told me well said, blah blah. There was and odd pause and the O1 was scowling. She went into this rant about being an officer first and a rate second (understood to an extent). I listened to the rant until she said as a direct quote "you sound like you have characteristics of toxic male-pilot-wannabe syndrome." When on to say that the AF has too many with those leadership traits already..."

I was really disappointed with how unprofessional she acted during the interview. I informed her that I had recorded this meeting and thanked them for their time. I was so turned off by the AF after that and stayed away from the military for some time and finished my masters. Navy OR reached out to me and the rest is history.

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
Prior Airforce here. All I did was contact an Airforce Officer recruiter to discuss my options. He flat out said all I could go for was drones. I don’t know if it was his quotas for my degree, but he insisted all I could put in for was Drones. I’m confused to but the way I see it, their loss lol. Since I have my Pro rec-yes from the last board, I guess this was simply meant to be. The Navy has cooler uniforms anyways ?

PEFO Silver-Shades

Prior Airforce here. All I did was contact an Airforce Officer recruiter to discuss my options. He flat out said all I could go for was drones. I don’t know if it was his quotas for my degree, but he insisted all I could put in for was Drones. I’m confused to but the way I see it, their loss lol. Since I have my Pro rec-yes from the last board, I guess this was simply meant to be. The Navy has cooler uniforms anyways ?
"Youre going to be a seamen." Damn joke that is almost always told to me when I say im joining the navy

Ghost SWO

Contributor
The USAF is hurting for pilots because they don't select great pilot candidates. They select great candidates, because... reasons. Then they wonder why their retention is so low. Many people join the USAF to be a pilot for clout or because they're told it's the best and then realize the piloting thing isn't for them. Slow Clap

You and me both, it really doesn't make any sense. I think a lot of USAF AD are salty that they couldn't do it, and they honestly expect you to fail when you try. The attitude I got from my leadership was something like, "Oh that's cool, good luck, you know it's really competitive... we've seen so many people fail before, besides... we really need you here". There are very few people in the USAF who truly want to help you succeed so it becomes a daunting task to undertake yourself.

When you try and pursue that route when you're active duty it feels like everyone is rolling their eyes at you. I wonder what my previous leadership thinks now but then again who cares, they missed out, not me. The fact that they sat on their butt and didn't help me in the process only hurts the USAF in the end. When leadership casts people's dreams aside for their own "organizational" (USAF) gain, they're only hurting their own organization in the end... People leave and fulfill their dream elsewhere. I left AD and pursued the pilot thing on the civilian side but here I am waiting on a date for Navy OCS with a pilot slot and couldn't be happier. I'm glad it's with the Navy in hindsight.

To answer more specifically, when I got out of AD and contacted the recruiter from the civilian side I was told they would not do a GPA waiver, that was after I told them I was a 98 PCSM. Shrug

Last edited:

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
The USAF is hurting for pilots because they don't select great pilot candidates. They select great candidates, because... reasons. Then they wonder why their retention is so low. Many people join the USAF to be a pilot for clout or because they're told it's the best and then realize the piloting thing isn't for them. Slow Clap

You and me both, it really doesn't make any sense. I think a lot of USAF AD are salty that they couldn't do it, and they honestly expect you to fail when you try. The attitude I got from my leadership was something like, "Oh that's cool, good luck, you know it's really competitive... we've seen so many people fail before, besides... we really need you here". There are very few people in the USAF who truly want to help you succeed so it becomes a daunting task to undertake yourself.

When you try and pursue that route when you're active duty it feels like everyone is rolling their eyes at you. I wonder what my previous leadership thinks now but then again who cares, they missed out, not me. The fact that they sat on their butt and didn't help me in the process only hurts the USAF in the end. When leadership casts people's dreams aside for their own "organizational" (USAF) gain, they're only hurting their own organization in the end... People leave and fulfill their dream elsewhere. I left AD and pursued the pilot thing on the civilian side but here I am waiting on a date for Navy OCS with a pilot slot and couldn't be happier. I'm glad it's with the Navy in hindsight.

To answer more specifically, when I got out of AD and contacted the recruiter from the civilian side I was told they would not do a GPA waiver, that was after I told them I was a 98 PCSM. Shrug

Seems that my post and yours tell the same story. Like you said, their actions only hurt themselves in the end of the day.