• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31July2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
My recruiter submitted my packet for Supply on July 5.

My Stats:
54 OAR
3.9 GPA Bachelors of Business Administration with a Marketing Emphasis
Graduated December 2022

I’m 22, and I’ve had lots of odd jobs but nothing super relevant to supply
I was very involved in my local Unitarian Universalist church.
I’m also bilingual. Spanish is my second language

So, let’s say they do pick me this round, what’s the best case scenario for an OCS date? I’m unemployed right now. Should I look for a low-wage job for the next 6 months?

So I wanted to join right after college but I quickly realized that wouldn’t happen.. I graduated May of 2022 got a job in finance in August of 2022. Passed all my test to manage money and now I’m going up for my first promotion.

Don’t put your life on hold build yourself as much as you can right now. Thankfully my boss knows what I’m doing with the Navy and is allowing me to go up for a promotion which I’m super grateful for.

Build yourself, and SAVE MONEY WHILE YOU CAN!!!!

So I wanted to join right after college but I quickly realized that wouldn’t happen.. I graduated May of 2022 got a job in finance in August of 2022. Passed all my test to manage money and now I’m going up for my first promotion.

Don’t put your life on hold build yourself as much as you can right now. Thankfully my boss knows what I’m doing with the Navy and is allowing me to go up for a promotion which I’m super grateful for.

Build yourself, and SAVE MONEY WHILE YOU CAN!!!!
I can agree with this. In hindsight, I would have taken this approach. Unless you know you have an OCS date before starting a new job, the employer shouldn’t have too much of an issue whenever you do end up leaving. People start and leave jobs all the time for better opportunities that they didn’t yet have. You can also take advantage of job listings catering to recent college graduates, some of which will stop considering you the further you get away from graduation.

nefalexa

Friendly reminder for anyone who needs feedback for their motivational statement, I have some free time to help.

exNavyOffRec

I’m actually thinking the opposite… I’m guessing most May grads started the application process before graduation and made it to the May board.
It doesn't work like that, there aren't surges of college grads, mostly they are applicants who have already graduated with some in college sprinkled in, with those in colleges they often attend the spring career fairs, then start the application process which means they hit the boards in the second half of the year.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
It doesn't work like that, there aren't surges of college grads, mostly they are applicants who have already graduated with some in college sprinkled in, with those in colleges they often attend the spring career fairs, then start the application process which means they hit the boards in the second half of the year.

I’ve seen a lot of people get turned down for aviation recently more specifically SNA. My recruiter wasn’t “allowed” to process new aviation candidates in the past year or so

eranger24

That’s the approach that I took. Thought I could go to OCS 3-6 months after graduation. Picked up a job at a hotel so that I could just up and leave whenever and it wouldn’t be an issue. Two years and six no’s from the military later, I’m now with a defense contractor. It’s a lot steeper of a learning curve than my last job so I would feel pretty bad about leaving sooner than later. I know you said you applied for supply, but based on aviation trends, I will probably at the very minimum be at this job for around a year before being able to go to OCS assuming favorable bird results. That’s just my personal experience and thought process though. In your case, it probably just depends on how confident or not that you are about selection and shipping dates.
Damn six applications, have you only gone for SNA?

exNavyOffRec

I’ve seen a lot of people get turned down for aviation recently more specifically SNA. My recruiter wasn’t “allowed” to process new aviation candidates in the past year or so
Some commands do that, really unless it is NRC saying not to do that all it does is hurt those in that recruiting area.

Damn six applications, have you only gone for SNA?
Kind of.. only one has been from the Navy but that was for SNA. Two were from AF rated boards and the remaining three from the Marines (two medically for ground contracts due to past surgery and one from failing the NAMI physical, though recently got PQ status). Definitely didn’t help bouncing around so much, but it’ll pay off soon.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Hey guys I'm new here but I've been reading around here a lot recently and was wondering if anybody could help me out. A little about me: I'm a recent college grad and OCS applicant. I got accepted to both SWO and SWO EDO programs, but got Pro Rec N for Pilot/NFO in the May board. Numbers I applied with:
  • Degree: B.S. Mechanical Engineering
  • GPA: 3.62
  • ASTB: 63 7/7/7
  • Flight Experience: None
My dilemma now is that in order to reapply for this July board I have to decline both SWO options. This puts me in a disadvantageous position if I ever care to be reconsidered for either of those, but I'm very passionate about aviation and have felt that it's what I've wanted to do more than anything for a long time now. Does anybody have advice on whether or not I should keep reapplying? I've also been told varying things on whether or not aviation boards could see my SWO declinations and choose not to consider me because I could be viewed as not willing to serve in any capacity or "picky". If anybody here knows a definitive answer to this it would be very helpful as I'm feeling pretty pressured to just take SWO and stick to safety. My biggest fear is eventually not being able to apply for pilot boards anymore and being considered for nothing ultimately if SWO boards don't want to take me after declining once.
Why did you apply for SWO if you do not want to do SWO? Not accepting SWO and reapplying for SNA/SNFO has significant risk in not getting selected for a long time. If aviation is what you really want then reapply. Just understand you might be waiting years when you could be at OCS in a few months. 7s used to be solid scores for SNA, but now they are unreliable. They are competitive for SNFO, but I am confused why you put SNFO third instead of second if aviation is what you want. I would recommend retaking the ASTB if you do reapply. I'm not sure how much time you have to decide, but I would highly recommend getting some flight training before declining your SWO contract to ensure aviation is actually something you like.

nefalexa

Kind of.. only one has been from the Navy but that was for SNA. Two were from AF rated boards and the remaining three from the Marines (two medically for ground contracts due to past surgery and one from failing the NAMI physical, though recently got PQ status). Definitely didn’t help bouncing around so much, but it’ll pay off soon.
If it gives you hope, I was in the same boat. 3 times air national guard applicant, twice Air Force active duty pilot board applicant, twice navy SNA applicant. Last one was success:)

If it gives you hope, I was in the same boat. 3 times air national guard applicant, twice Air Force active duty pilot board applicant, twice navy SNA applicant. Last one was success:)
It only takes one yes, glad things worked out for you! Hope it was worth it… but I think we already know your answer for that

eranger24

Well it’s clear as day that you wana be an officer so good for you on not giving up! I’m def considering the marine route if this doesn’t shape up whether it be a ground or air position. It sucks that these applications take so much time