• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31July2023 SNA/SNFO Board

M
Well it’s clear as day that you wana be an officer so good for you on not giving up! I’m def considering the marine route if this doesn’t shape up whether it be a ground or air position. It sucks that these applications take so much time
It’s definitely a good route to go! And agreed on the long application processes. Still have a much higher appreciation for the Navy process compared to the AF, who only lets you apply to one of each type of board per year.

gtownjake

Someone tell me the likely blatantly obvious reason they don’t look at SNA/NFO, or any other officer applicant on an individual level like they do with enlisted? Like sure if backups are happening, raise the standard… but why put us all against each other on these boards and risk losing what couldve been successful applicants?

Edit- I also am aware of the “quotas” and not picking too many, just seems like the application process is designed to be arduous to weed out people.

Tracker95

Hey guys I'm new here but I've been reading around here a lot recently and was wondering if anybody could help me out. A little about me: I'm a recent college grad and OCS applicant. I got accepted to both SWO and SWO EDO programs, but got Pro Rec N for Pilot/NFO in the May board. Numbers I applied with:
  • Degree: B.S. Mechanical Engineering
  • GPA: 3.62
  • ASTB: 63 7/7/7
  • Flight Experience: None
My dilemma now is that in order to reapply for this July board I have to decline both SWO options. This puts me in a disadvantageous position if I ever care to be reconsidered for either of those, but I'm very passionate about aviation and have felt that it's what I've wanted to do more than anything for a long time now. Does anybody have advice on whether or not I should keep reapplying? I've also been told varying things on whether or not aviation boards could see my SWO declinations and choose not to consider me because I could be viewed as not willing to serve in any capacity or "picky". If anybody here knows a definitive answer to this it would be very helpful as I'm feeling pretty pressured to just take SWO and stick to safety. My biggest fear is eventually not being able to apply for pilot boards anymore and being considered for nothing ultimately if SWO boards don't want to take me after declining once.
Was picked up SWO, had to write a letter declining position. On the next board I was picked up for NFO which I wanted and accepted

exNavyOffRec

Someone tell me the likely blatantly obvious reason they don’t look at SNA/NFO, or any other officer applicant on an individual level like they do with enlisted? Like sure if backups are happening, raise the standard… but why put us all against each other on these boards and risk losing what couldve been successful applicants?

Edit- I also am aware of the “quotas” and not picking too many, just seems like the application process is designed to be arduous to weed out people.
Expand on what you mean by looking at an individual level?

The process is not that difficult, besides MEPS you can get an application together in a few hours if you have the basic documents on hand. We would have people take the ASTB in the morning and we would do the application right after that.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

The process is not that difficult, besides MEPS you can get an application together in a few hours if you have the basic documents on hand. We would have people take the ASTB in the morning and we would do the application right after that.

Probably in your time it could have moved that quickly. Where you around to witness the absolute killer weapon by the name of Genisus?

gtownjake

I guess a better question would be have selection boards always been a thing? It seems like hearing older guys talk about their experience and going through the pipeline they never mention getting selected. They were either qualified or they weren’t. Times definitely change.

exNavyOffRec

I guess a better question would be have selection boards always been a thing? It seems like hearing older guys talk about their experience and going through the pipeline they never mention getting selected. They were either qualified or they weren’t. Times definitely change.
boards have always been a thing

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

Only about 3 years ago there was an auto qual with a 7/7/7 or above!

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
That lasted for only a very very short time, it was more than 3 years ago as it was prior to COVID (several years prior I think), however the rumors persisted for years.

Yeah I don’t remember how long it lasted. One my buddies now flying F-35Cs got auto selected and got like a 3 week notice before he left. He was notified before the board convened too

Biff42

Looks like the October board is no longer taking place, according to the new schedule that dropped a few days ago.