• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31July2023 SNA/SNFO Board

gtownjake

I’m in the same boat as @FlyingGamecock, very similar scores, GPA, and degree. Also got a Pro Rec N in May, with this board being my second shot. Below are the changes I made, so we will see what happens. (I know you didn’t ask).

- I graduate in December, so my updated transcript reflects the Spring Semester.
- Retyped my motivational statement.
- Added LOR

TraylorPark

Hey guys I'm new here but I've been reading around here a lot recently and was wondering if anybody could help me out. A little about me: I'm a recent college grad and OCS applicant. I got accepted to both SWO and SWO EDO programs, but got Pro Rec N for Pilot/NFO in the May board. Numbers I applied with:
  • Degree: B.S. Mechanical Engineering
  • GPA: 3.62
  • ASTB: 63 7/7/7
  • Flight Experience: None
My dilemma now is that in order to reapply for this July board I have to decline both SWO options. This puts me in a disadvantageous position if I ever care to be reconsidered for either of those, but I'm very passionate about aviation and have felt that it's what I've wanted to do more than anything for a long time now. Does anybody have advice on whether or not I should keep reapplying? I've also been told varying things on whether or not aviation boards could see my SWO declinations and choose not to consider me because I could be viewed as not willing to serve in any capacity or "picky". If anybody here knows a definitive answer to this it would be very helpful as I'm feeling pretty pressured to just take SWO and stick to safety. My biggest fear is eventually not being able to apply for pilot boards anymore and being considered for nothing ultimately if SWO boards don't want to take me after declining once.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Hey guys I'm new here but I've been reading around here a lot recently and was wondering if anybody could help me out. A little about me: I'm a recent college grad and OCS applicant. I got accepted to both SWO and SWO EDO programs, but got Pro Rec N for Pilot/NFO in the May board. Numbers I applied with:
My dilemma now is that in order to reapply for this July board I have to decline both SWO options. This puts me in a disadvantageous position if I ever care to be reconsidered for either of those, but I'm very passionate about aviation and have felt that it's what I've wanted to do more than anything for a long time now. Does anybody have advice on whether or not I should keep reapplying? I've also been told varying things on whether or not aviation boards could see my SWO declinations and choose not to consider me because I could be viewed as not willing to serve in any capacity or "picky". If anybody here knows a definitive answer to this it would be very helpful as I'm feeling pretty pressured to just take SWO and stick to safety. My biggest fear is eventually not being able to apply for pilot boards anymore and being considered for nothing ultimately if SWO boards don't want to take me after declining once.

What was your preference order?

TraylorPark

That’s a pretty long list. It’s like going to SOAS for the Seal officer selection course and having SEAL as number 2. It would be viewed negatively…
Do you mean by my placement of SNFO at 3? My recruiter asked for a top 5 so I gave a top 5 without thinking that would hurt me ?‍♂️

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Do you mean by my placement of SNFO at 3? My recruiter asked for a top 5 so I gave a top 5 without thinking that would hurt me ?‍♂️

Yeah to give yourself your bets shot only put SNA, SNFO for a pilot board. If you want to go SWO then only put SWO. You see what I’m getting at here?

When I put SEAL at 2 is was a slap in the face believe by NSW, and I was told not to do that.

exNavyOffRec

1) SNA, 2) SWO EDO, 3) NFO, 4) SWO IP, 5) SWO
They will know, you will have to write a letter declining SWO-EDO, since that was #2 and SWO #5 you would have been processed for OCS for SWO-EDO.

Why did you put down something you didn't want to do? I don't even know why your OR let you submit SWO-IP as they have no quota.

The hard part for you is to really have a shot at SNA you need to retake the ASTB, but you can't retake the ASTB without declining SWO-EDO. This puts you between a rock and a hard place, if you decline SWO-EDO and don't get picked up aviation how will you feel? or if you retake the ASTB and score lower you will be sunk.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah to give yourself your bets shot only put SNA, SNFO for a pilot board. If you want to go SWO then only put SWO. You see what I’m getting at here?

When I put SEAL at 2 is was a slap in the face believe by NSW, and I was told not to do that.
Some designators care about position, others do not, SEAL absolutely does, SWO does not, aviation not really, Supply somewhat does, IWC does.

rdfogel

My recruiter submitted my packet for Supply on July 5.

My Stats:
54 OAR
3.9 GPA Bachelors of Business Administration with a Marketing Emphasis
Graduated December 2022

I’m 22, and I’ve had lots of odd jobs but nothing super relevant to supply
I was very involved in my local Unitarian Universalist church.
I’m also bilingual. Spanish is my second language

So, let’s say they do pick me this round, what’s the best case scenario for an OCS date? I’m unemployed right now. Should I look for a low-wage job for the next 6 months?

My recruiter submitted my packet for Supply on July 5.

My Stats:
54 OAR
3.9 GPA Bachelors of Business Administration with a Marketing Emphasis
Graduated December 2022

I’m 22, and I’ve had lots of odd jobs but nothing super relevant to supply
I was very involved in my local Unitarian Universalist church.
I’m also bilingual. Spanish is my second language

So, let’s say they do pick me this round, what’s the best case scenario for an OCS date? I’m unemployed right now. Should I look for a low-wage job for the next 6 months?
That’s the approach that I took. Thought I could go to OCS 3-6 months after graduation. Picked up a job at a hotel so that I could just up and leave whenever and it wouldn’t be an issue. Two years and six no’s from the military later, I’m now with a defense contractor. It’s a lot steeper of a learning curve than my last job so I would feel pretty bad about leaving sooner than later. I know you said you applied for supply, but based on aviation trends, I will probably at the very minimum be at this job for around a year before being able to go to OCS assuming favorable bird results. That’s just my personal experience and thought process though. In your case, it probably just depends on how confident or not that you are about selection and shipping dates.