• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31OCT22 SNA/SNFO BOARD

cjh5073

Figured I’d be a little edgy
I also "waited" until the last day, sent mine at 12:50 pacific. Still haven't got confirmation.
So just so y’all are aware, I had the FLAG office submit my package for me after my July meeting.

Followed up 2 weeks before the package was due in September, had to scramble because Mr. Celestin hadn’t received it, after 2 weeks of radio silence I involved my airboss and it got handled. Received a confirmation a day later.

Idk if y’all have a mentor or a DH you can go to but it sounds like that worked for me.

Hate to say it - but I’d also maybe come to terms with the fact that they might not accept your package.

Hope it works out for both of you though. I can say I’ve put in enough work for this package id be pissed it all gets thrown away because someone doesn’t respond.

luckynumbr27

I don’t want to crush any dream or cause any panic right now, just going to pass along that every SNA/NFO candidate in the October OCS class was informed that all Naval Aviation candidates are on an indefinite hold and we will not be going to OCS when we were slated to. Very vague information right now, but it appears that the FY23 Officer Accession Plan has still not been signed, and there are ongoing conversations of a potential significant reduction in Aviation accessions for the FY. Aviation OCM and NRC agreed to hold off shipping any more pilots or NFOs till they figure it out. Idk what that means for those of y’all still applying, but now you know a little more from the other side. Good luck to all.

exNavyOffRec

My CO was involved I had to go through him to send the letter up. Im just going hope and pray that my scores will be good enough for SNFO. I heard from Mr. Paul aviation selection numbers are gonna be low this board....
They should be no different than the most recent board, they take the total number and divide by the number of boards, and that is what the board has to give.

exNavyOffRec

I don’t want to crush any dream or cause any panic right now, just going to pass along that every SNA/NFO candidate in the October OCS class was informed that all Naval Aviation candidates are on an indefinite hold and we will not be going to OCS when we were slated to. Very vague information right now, but it appears that the FY23 Officer Accession Plan has still not been signed, and there are ongoing conversations of a potential significant reduction in Aviation accessions for the FY. Aviation OCM and NRC agreed to hold off shipping any more pilots or NFOs till they figure it out. Idk what that means for those of y’all still applying, but now you know a little more from the other side. Good luck to all.
They normally don't give the numbers to NRC until Dec and sometimes as late as Feb,

Everything is a trickle down, the number of squadrons determine the number of aviators they need from CO all the way down to new accessions, so unless there is a major reduction in squadrons there shouldn't be much of a change.

There can be fluctuations based on how NROTC and USNA have done as far as retention from entering that pipeline until graduation, but when dealing with large numbers the effect is minimal. There can also be fluctuations based on how people are doing in the pipeline, less attrition means reduced need for new accessions.

exNavyOffRec

I talked to him this morning. He straight up said “and I will tell you this, sna/nfo board are subject to cancellation” obviously nothin new that we don’t already know but also wasn’t the reason for my call
He is not wrong, I have seen boards cancelled at the board date, it is very rare but it happens.

It is no secret that they are way ahead of selections as at this point of the year having people slotted for FY 24 is just nuts, especially how many that have been put in FY 24.

luckynumbr27

They normally don't give the numbers to NRC until Dec and sometimes as late as Feb,

Everything is a trickle down, the number of squadrons determine the number of aviators they need from CO all the way down to new accessions, so unless there is a major reduction in squadrons there shouldn't be much of a change.

There can be fluctuations based on how NROTC and USNA have done as far as retention from entering that pipeline until graduation, but when dealing with large numbers the effect is minimal. There can also be fluctuations based on how people are doing in the pipeline, less attrition means reduced need for new accessions.
I got the distinct impression from my OR who was informed by district who was informed by NRC that the 1,000 + man backup in Pensacola is 100% the reason we are not leaving on time. They have no where to put us after graduation. As you’ve pointed out, that probably won’t affect new selects in upcoming boards, but they are straight not sending aviation candidates to OCS until they figure out how to blow the blockage out of flight school. October 2022 is the class on deck for OCS whenever they decide to open the flood gates again, and there are at least 4 classes of Pro rec Y aviation candidates behind of us. If they “significantly reduce” accessions for FY 23 like most of our ORs said and bump us to FY 24, new selectees in this board will be shipping to OCS late 2023/early 2024.

exNavyOffRec

I got the distinct impression from my OR who was informed by district who was informed by NRC that the 1,000 + man backup in Pensacola is 100% the reason we are not leaving on time. They have no where to put us after graduation. As you’ve pointed out, that probably won’t affect new selects in upcoming boards, but they are straight not sending aviation candidates to OCS until they figure out how to blow the blockage out of flight school. October 2022 is the class on deck for OCS whenever they decide to open the flood gates again, and there are at least 4 classes of Pro rec Y aviation candidates behind of us. If they “significantly reduce” accessions for FY 23 like most of our ORs said and bump us to FY 24, new selectees in this board will be shipping to OCS late 2023/early 2024.
They still need X numbers to commission in each YG or that leads to further issues, last year they sent nearly all of the aviation FY 22 accession to OCS by Dec 21 which probably caused some issues. OCS has flexibility to move people around and so if they do hold you for a short time it will allow them to adjust.

They would have had July, Aug, and Sept classes with aviation so realistically they could hold off for several months and still get the numbers commissioned in FY 23 they need to.

There are actually 2 issues, the backlog in Pensacola and the fact they have people selected out into FY 24. A pause on shipping can help Pensacola and a cancelling of a board can help the selection issue, but no one wants either to happen.

cjh5073

It’s all just interesting. All you hear is how there’s a shortage, and then this.

I’m hoping my age (34) will help me get to the front of the line (if I’m selected) but it probably won’t really matter anyway.

BDavis11

Contributor
So just so y’all are aware, I had the FLAG office submit my package for me after my July meeting.

Followed up 2 weeks before the package was due in September, had to scramble because Mr. Celestin hadn’t received it, after 2 weeks of radio silence I involved my airboss and it got handled. Received a confirmation a day later.

Idk if y’all have a mentor or a DH you can go to but it sounds like that worked for me.

Hate to say it - but I’d also maybe come to terms with the fact that they might not accept your package.

Hope it works out for both of you though. I can say I’ve put in enough work for this package id be pissed it all gets thrown away because someone doesn’t respond.
He has a lot of emails to go through. He has my email and just has to process it he said so I’ll be fine

Cloddish

Im not here to crush hopes and dreams but to offer perspective. I started the application process in 2020 got in 2021 upon graduating college in the spring. I still haven’t gone to OCS. In that same time frame I have friends who have finished their masters, have earned promotions, have purchased a house, and have gotten married

I could be about a year away from applying for First Officer positions at a Major. Unfortunately I’ve had OCS dates dangled in front of me for a couple of years now and haven’t been able to commit to anything. Im currently unemployed, will soon be uninsured, and for the foreseeable future will be couch surfing because they pulled the rug out less than two weeks before I was supposed to fly out. I had my FINSEL, I swore in, I had hotel reservations, and my recruiter said I’d have a plane ticket by the end of the week.

You have to take into consideration the time commitment that this is and the sacrifices required before you even get a paycheck from big navy. While the old proverb, “Welcome to the Navy, hurry up and wait!” will always ring true, it’s even more so right now. I dont think the last 2-3 years have been a waste for me however, I could have done a whole lot more with my career during this time frame.

Since I was a kid I was dead set on being a 3rd generation naval aviator, but if I could go back 3 years I would have just gone the civilian aviation route and be making six figures right now like some of my buddies.

Waiting to class up in pcola sucks, but that time is at least working toward your 20 years if nothing else. Waiting to go to OCS after ceaseless delays? Fucking garbage.

Anyway, time to add another FINSEL to my collection. Gonna frame each one I get.