• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Second, you better watch what you say about the Phrog going anywhere - Marines are standing by to end you.

Wise men have said that the last Phrog driver is yet to have been born ...

Disclaimer: The following message might cause feelings of anger and bitterness in some users. Read only after consulting your physician.

Who are these wise men you claim? Honestly, on this whole phrog thing, I know it's a workhorse and all, but isn't it like the oldest platform operating today? Everytime I go up in one of those things, I feel like it's about to rattle apart or twist in half.

submarinerssbn

i read that because the navy doesn't want to pay that much for the f-35 lighting then it is going to by more super hornets, there really isn't any way to tell when the navy will come up off the funds to give the usn the badest fighter ever!!!!!! i hope it comes over to the navy while i am in api or down the pipeline. highly unlikely, but i will definetly try to hop into one when they do arrive. anyways yeah the navy is cheap, who knows when.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You must be thinking of the Marine Corps - and its not 'cheap', its being 'thrifty' and making good use of all your resources. :D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
First of all, they have nothing to do with each other ... did you mean the MV-22?

Second, you better watch what you say about the Phrog going anywhere - Marines are standing by to end you.

Wise men have said that the last Phrog driver is yet to have been born ...

The Marine Corps has three operational V-22 squadrons right now, plus a training squadron and a test and evaluation squadron. The USAF has no operational units with the V-22 yet, but they are looking to move up their IOC date.

The phrogs are going to SAR duty and up on sticks next to the guard shacks at air stations. That last phrog driver had better get a move on getting through college and flight school by the age of 9, else he will be SOL, unless he wants to fly for Columbia Helo or something...

Attachments

• 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 102

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The Marine Corps has three operational V-22 squadrons right now, plus a training squadron and a test and evaluation squadron. The USAF has no operational units with the V-22 yet, but they are looking to move up their IOC date.

The phrogs are going to SAR duty and up on sticks next to the guard shacks at air stations. That last phrog driver had better get a move on getting through college and flight school by the age of 9, else he will be SOL, unless he wants to fly for Columbia Helo or something...

"You drive that old busted joint. I drive the new hotness. Old and busted, new hotness...old busted hotness."

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Come on, I thought if anyone would see through my phrog rhetoric it would be you, sir! I would hope anyone reading that would take what I said with a big grain of salt. :icon_wink

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Any idea what the ones at Hurlburt are for? Are they eval airframes? Not calling you out, just wondering if you know their purpose, since they're definitely flying at a operational base.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Any idea what the ones at Hurlburt are for? Are they eval airframes? Not calling you out, just wondering if you know their purpose, since they're definitely flying at a operational base.

Isn't Hurlburt an AFSOC base? I thought the first MV-22's were going to AFSOC.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is, but I'm not sure if the -22 is operational there. Since Phrog is plugged in, thought he might know what they're doing down there.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
i think the v-22 is only in the air force but the v-35 joint strike fighter is supposed to come on line as a new fighter but who knows when

Not to be an asshole or anything...but if you don't know what you are talking how about not posting? Someone who actually knows something about the question can probably answer.

Here is a good means to gauge the situation: If you find yourself typing "i think" and it isn't because you are 90-99.9% certain of the answer, let it pass.

Break, Break,

KBayDog said:
Funny - every time I go up in one of those things, I go up with complete confidence that she is safe for flight. That's the beauty of a flying such a classic bird - there is nothing "unknown" about the aircraft.

I dunno, the Huey is a pretty old bird that there should be nothing "unknown" about, and I remember when they got the bright idea to change the Tail Rotor Driveshafts to make them common with the Cobra. Then the platform was downed after the tail started cracking up, spar cap conditional inspections were added - found more cracks, then came the strake to dick around with the airflow on the #1 side of the tailboom, etc... etc...

Old aircraft have most of the bugs worked out of them - but D level keeps finding ways to put new bugs back into them it seems like. I also wonder how powerful the newer Phrogs are compared to the old ones, now that we have all sorts of avionics gizmos attached to them. (This has pretty much crippled the Huey's effectiveness)

That's my O-Level-haven't-been-in-a-squadron-since-2003 perspective.