• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

Flugelman

Contributor
U.S. Marine Corps MV-22s in Iraq in the last couple of weeks have begun flying aerial scout missions in support of raids in Al Anbar province. That’s according to the Marine commandant, Gen. James Conway, who met with reporters at the Pentagon yesterday. While raids have become less frequent, he said, the Ospreys are demonstrating one of their advantages. "The 22 is very quiet," Conway said. "It's an added advantage when it comes to getting troops on the ground without hearing a helicopter coming from a couple miles out."

That kinda surprises me because I've been on the golf course here in Yuma when one or two have flown over. The first time I was curious as to what it was, not having heard one before. Second and subsuquent times I knew what the noise was and was excited to see one in flight. I would estimate the noise level to be less than a UH-1 but more than a TH-57. You definitely know something is in the neighborhood. My experience was with birds in F/W mode and not hovering so that could make the difference, I guess.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Someday an Osprey story will be written without the words "troubled," "controversial," or end with, "But...."

Still waiting.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be interested to see some breakdown of number of ASRs completed per night vs. other assault support platforms. That would be a good metric to indicate it's performance...

So would everyone else, but last time we checked, the V-22's tasking wasn't showing up on AES. Why not?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Perhaps someday.

In fact, all Phrogs were grounded that year because the aircraft had a tendency to fall apart in flight.

Maybe the Osprey was built 40 years too late?

I've read that the "fall apart in flight" thing was actually a misinterpretation of mishap data. The aircraft were indeed found in two pieces, but that was due to the CH-46 falling apart on impact. It would split at the "field splice," the weakest point in the fuselage. When the pieces were found split in two, people mistakenly thought that was the cause of the crash, rather than the result. "Bonnie Sue" talks of one bird that had a catastrophic failure of one of the aft bellcranks and fell apart, but that crew made it out, I believe.

Nevertheless, speaking to an old Vietnam-era guy, he said that some H-34 pilots were turning in their wings rather than fly the phrog.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've read that the "fall apart in flight" thing was actually a misinterpretation of mishap data. The aircraft were indeed found in two pieces, but that was due to the CH-46 falling apart on impact. It would split at the "field splice," the weakest point in the fuselage. When the pieces were found split in two, people mistakenly thought that was the cause of the crash, rather than the result. "Bonnie Sue" talks of one bird that had a catastrophic failure of one of the aft bellcranks and fell apart, but that crew made it out, I believe.

Nevertheless, speaking to an old Vietnam-era guy, he said that some H-34 pilots were turning in their wings rather than fly the phrog.

There was an epic shot of a Navy 46 doing VERTREP when it literally split into two pieces. I've seen it several times, but can't remember where. Something about a synchronizer falling that made sure both rotors were "in harmony" if I recall.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Put it this way - there is no EP for sync shaft failure. If there was, it would be something along the lines of make peace with your maker.

Heh...am I the only one that thinks there ought to be EPs like that? I mean, some kinda "yeah...you're screwed, man". Just so that everyone's clear on things.

1. Head/Helmet...PLACE BETWEEN LEGS (ALL)
2. Buttocks...KISS GOODBYE (ALL)
If time and conditions permit:
3. Scream in terror until impact (ALL)

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Heh...am I the only one that thinks there ought to be EPs like that? I mean, some kinda "yeah...you're screwed, man". Just so that everyone's clear on things.

1. Head/Helmet...PLACE BETWEEN LEGS (ALL)

This is in direct contradiction to the first step of most EP's for us backseaters:

Seat: Full aft and harness LOCKED

number three is good though.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There was an epic shot of a Navy 46 doing VERTREP when it literally split into two pieces. I've seen it several times, but can't remember where. Something about a synchronizer falling that made sure both rotors were "in harmony" if I recall.

I can't for the life of me remember his name (Asian guy) - but one of the pilots in this mishap survived and was an IP in HT-18 when I was an SNA there - circa 1987. He presented the mishap details during a safety stand down. A Thomas coupling on the sync shaft failed in quite a catastrophic manner. The two rotor systems colided and caused the cockpit and forward transmission area to severe from the airframe and fell 150 feet (in the vertrep pattern) to the water. The pilot at the controls autorotated the best he could. This guy was the only survivor.

I had completely forgotten about this until I read your post! This mishap was covered in Approach article around 1986-1987

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This mishap was covered in Approach article around 1986-1987

That was when I had the helm and stumbled on the image and decided to use it to tell the story as it is totally captivating. Wish I knew how to get it in digital form.

Meanwhile, back to recent news on Ospreys deployed from two sources.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So is there any new word if the Navy is actually gonna pick some of these up? According to a pamphlet left in the ready room, their on the hook for several.

I think it'd be a fun aircraft to fly. Glad to hear it's doing well.