• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

alaurin

All day, every day!
I'm not submitting my packet for March. It was taking too long to get my LOR's, we didn't have time for MEPS and I didn't want to send in a half complete packet.

BleedGreen

pilot
Unfortunately I can't submit for this board either. I am having some issues with my physical and have to wait until the July board to resolve it

AirGuy

Mainly, people in leadership positions who know you, your character, work habits, potential leadership skills, etc. well, like Professors, Employment Managers/Supervisors, Boy Scout Leaders, HS/College Coachs, Military Leaders. High ranking Officers are fine (if they indicate in the letter that they are somewhat familiar with you). A glowing LOR from a civilian supervisor or a Military E-7/O-2, you have worked for... probably would carry more weight than a standard "ho hum" form letter from a O-5/6+! Don't become over-awed by the prospect of LORs from high ranking Military or Civilians, it all depends on what they write.;)
EDIT- I'd advise against LORs from high ranking Politicians these days - would do more harm than good... casting doubts upon your good judgment!:eek:
BzB

Thanks for the info. I know a couple of professors that somewhat like me for going the "extra mile" in their classes. If there is no interview for non-prior, and I'll have to ask NavyOffRec about this, then my LOR's are really important. I know I was already advised to take the approach to just do my best in everything. But with LORs, I will have to establish good points of contact. Perhaps retake the same professors for the next level of classes, if they teach them. In general, do you think a 2.8 in an engineering major combined with very good ASTB scores would be competitive for OCS?

Btw I was reading through the forums and you have some hilarious posts up. Thanks for the good laugh.

AirGuy

To make sure everyone understands AD requires interviews for the designator they are applying for, non AD requires only LOR in most cases, exceptions are SEAL/EOD/CEC and soon to be Supply (I think I listed all of them).
What about non-priors? In a previous post someone listed 3 categories: AD, non-AD, and non-prior. So I am assuming that non-AD means reserve / guard, or finished with enlistment, is this correct?

BleedGreen

pilot
What about non-priors? In a previous post someone listed 3 categories: AD, non-AD, and non-prior. So I am assuming that non-AD means reserve / guard, or finished with enlistment, is this correct?
From what I understand non-ad refers to anyone not active duty, including members of the Reserves. The requirements for applying is the same for both civilians and Reservists

AirGuy

From what I understand non-ad refers to anyone not active duty, including members of the Reserves. The requirements for applying is the same for both civilians and Reservists
To make sure everyone understands AD requires interviews for the designator they are applying for, non AD requires only LOR in most cases, exceptions are SEAL/EOD/CEC and soon to be Supply (I think I listed all of them).
In that case, for non-prior / non-AD, is the interview optional or just not available at all? If it is optional, then would it be advantageous to do it? I am going to apply for the SNA / NFO communities. But I would like to start preparing ahead of time, depending on what's best.

Xin Xia

Pro-Rec Supply Corp
In that case, for non-prior / non-AD, is the interview optional or just not available at all? If it is optional, then would it be advantageous to do it? I am going to apply for the SNA / NFO communities. But I would like to start preparing ahead of time, depending on what's best.

For the SNA/NFO communities, if you can manage to get a high ASTB, and clean background records, you should be in a great position to get accepted, from what I have heard, and seen.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In general, do you think a 2.8 in an engineering major combined with very good ASTB scores would be competitive for OCS?
That's a tough question, better addressed by NavyOffRec. I have seen the GPA minimum of 3.o bandied about here lately, yet I also see cases where GPAs in the 2.8/2.9 were selected. It seems to me that boards are given some discretion in weighting lower GPAs vs high ASTB scores. It's kind of like a "what are my chances" question, tough to predict exactly what any given board will do. One thing I know for sure... if you really want it, whip up your very BEST package & submit it on time. That, and try hard to improve your GPA in the classes you have remaining and bullseye the ASTB.;)
Btw I was reading through the forums and you have some hilarious posts up. Thanks for the good laugh.
Appreciate that, although we often address serious questions/subjects on the AW website, occasional bits of "ready room humour" along the way, helps keep everyone on an even keel.:D
BzB

exNavyOffRec

You are better off getting several LOR's from people that have known you, that you have worked for.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the info. I know a couple of professors that somewhat like me for going the "extra mile" in their classes. If there is no interview for non-prior, and I'll have to ask NavyOffRec about this, then my LOR's are really important. I know I was already advised to take the approach to just do my best in everything. But with LORs, I will have to establish good points of contact. Perhaps retake the same professors for the next level of classes, if they teach them. In general, do you think a 2.8 in an engineering major combined with very good ASTB scores would be competitive for OCS?

Competitive no, but if you get a high ASTB will you have a chance yes.

USAF_WX2USN

My kit was completed and submitted for the IDC board, but I also have SWO on there. I did MEPS last week (as it was still thought to be a requirement), but had to get a medical waiver before being PQ. If it does not come through in time, will my kit still be seen by the SWO board since it was already submitted and the medical requirement is no more? Or does something else still need to be done before tomorrow's deadline?

AirGuy

Competitive no, but if you get a high ASTB will you have a chance yes.

That's good to hear. I'll work hard on everything. Say there is a OCS board in Jan 2014 (deadline in say november 2013). I will be graduating in December 2014. So will I be able to submit my application on november 2013 to the Jan 2014 board? Because that would be more than 12 months from graduation.

Also. Is the interview optional or just not available at all for SNA / NFO applicants? If it is optional, then would it be advantageous to do it? I would like to start preparing ahead of time, since application date is close by.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
In general, do you think a 2.8 in an engineering major combined with very good ASTB scores would be competitive for OCS?

These are the stats of AW members that posted them for the last board. If you absolutely destroy the ASTB you'd have a shot, BUT keep in mind that this board was supposedly less competitive than others. They took 50ish% and 96% of SNA and SNFO applicants respectively according to a memo from NRD Houston posted further in the thread below. ASTB and GPA are the most important thing for SNA/SNFO.

http://www.airwarriors.com/communit...g-to-jan-board-2013.39817/page-40#post-726916

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
Did you only submit 1 LOR? Are you AD, non-AD, or non-prior? Once they call you for the interview, does that mean you are basically in as long as you pass the interview? I'm guessing you applied for SNA since you were interviewed by a P-3 pilot.
I submitted four LORs, but the retired SWO was the only one with military experience (other three were past bosses/professors). I actually applied to SNA, SWO, and NFO. Apparently I didn't need a NFO interview to submit that designation. It went through with no problems; in fact, my OR said a lot of NFO selects didn't apply for NFO but rather as SNA and caught the eye of the board as a better NFO candidate for one reason or another.

*edit - non-prior