• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to the March 2013 Board

AirGuy

These are the stats of AW members that posted them for the last board. If you absolutely destroy the ASTB you'd have a shot, BUT keep in mind that this board was supposedly less competitive than others. They took 50ish% and 96% of SNA and SNFO applicants respectively according to a memo from NRD Houston posted further in the thread below. ASTB and GPA are the most important thing for SNA/SNFO.

http://www.airwarriors.com/communit...g-to-jan-board-2013.39817/page-40#post-726916
Thanks for the information. With regard to GPA, is major taken into consideration?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Thanks for the information. With regard to GPA, is major taken into consideration?

Supposedly it isn't. However, I would imagine that those who destroy the ASTB have some kind of tech degree, and so it does help you out, albeit indirectly.

USAF_WX2USN

My kit was completed and submitted for the IDC board, but I also have SWO on there. I did MEPS last week (as it was still thought to be a requirement), but had to get a medical waiver before being PQ. If it does not come through in time, will my kit still be seen by the SWO board since it was already submitted and the medical requirement is no more? Or does something else still need to be done before tomorrow's deadline?

Trying to re-ping NavyOffRec with the above....

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
My kit was completed and submitted for the IDC board, but I also have SWO on there. I did MEPS last week (as it was still thought to be a requirement), but had to get a medical waiver before being PQ. If it does not come through in time, will my kit still be seen by the SWO board since it was already submitted and the medical requirement is no more? Or does something else still need to be done before tomorrow's deadline?

If this is at all in reference to what I said earlier, I'll clarify: you still need to go to MEPS before you submit your application. A PQ letter from command is not required at the time of application submission; however, it must be received/complete by the time the board meets in March.

exNavyOffRec

The PQ requirement in partially in effect, if it is submitted with the application the NRD gets immediate credit for the application, if not the credit comes after selection.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
That's good to hear. I'll work hard on everything. Say there is a OCS board in Jan 2014 (deadline in say november 2013). I will be graduating in December 2014. So will I be able to submit my application on november 2013 to the Jan 2014 board? Because that would be more than 12 months from graduation.
Well if there is a Jan 2014 board, the deadline would likely be a month before: December 2013. Which would be just about 12 months before graduation, so that should work.
Also. Is the interview optional or just not available at all for SNA / NFO applicants? If it is optional, then would it be advantageous to do it? I would like to start preparing ahead of time, since application date is close by.
Interviews are not required for non-prior applicants. As far as whether you can do one anyway, I couldn't say, but the LOR's and employer references should suffice. As long as the LOR's are from people who know you fairly well.

nombrescreeno

If this is at all in reference to what I said earlier, I'll clarify: you still need to go to MEPS before you submit your application. A PQ letter from command is not required at the time of application submission; however, it must be received/complete by the time the board meets in March.

You sure about that? According to NavyOffRec:

Here is the latest info, no it is not required, but it is in the best interest of the NRD to get it done and here is why, and they are going by "quality" and "not quality"

If a person is considered quality and they are submitted with a PQ letter, NRD gets credit for submission when submitted whether they are selected or not.
If a person is considered quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, get selected, then get PQ letter, then NRD gets credit.
If a person is considered quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, they are non select NRD gets no credit.
If a person is considered not quality and they are submitted with a PQ letter, NRD gets credit only if they are selected.
If a person is considered not quality and they are submitted without a PQ letter, get selected, then get PQ letter, then NRD gets credit.

Here is an example recruiter one submits 10 quality kits none with PQ letter, one is selected he gets credit for 1 but recruiter 2 submits 4 quality kits with PQ letters and none are selected, but he is credited with 4, so in the eyes of NRC recruiter 2 did more work.
No mention of anything other than needing the PQ letter to get credit

USAF_WX2USN

The thing is, my kit was already submitted- for the IDC board. I have SWO listed as my third choice. I just wanted to make sure that if I don't get selected on the IDC board, that my kit makes it to the SWO board. I already did MEPS and was told that my waiver would only take about 48hrs to process and it's been a week and a half. If the waiver doesn't come in today am I still good for the SWO board since the entire kit was turned in on Jan 7th or does something else need to be done so it will get rolled over to the board after the IDC?

AirGuy

Well if there is a Jan 2014 board, the deadline would likely be a month before: December 2013. Which would be just about 12 months before graduation, so that should work.

Interviews are not required for non-prior applicants. As far as whether you can do one anyway, I couldn't say, but the LOR's and employer references should suffice. As long as the LOR's are from people who know you fairly well.

I see, so in that case I won't be preparing for an interview. Thanks for replying and letting me know. Thanks to everyone for the help.

AirGuy

Supposedly it isn't. However, I would imagine that those who destroy the ASTB have some kind of tech degree, and so it does help you out, albeit indirectly.

Well alright. Thanks for posting the stats. Do you know where I can find more? It seems as long as I have a 8/8/8 or above ASTB, I might have a good shot. I'll study hard.

patton307

I guess I'll give my stats again for the record....3rd official time up (2 non-select prior)
The last board was pretty disappointing to be a non-select considering the high percentage recommended. But unfortunately I know my problem areas. No harm in trying haha, I got one more year for them to tell me "No"

27/m (almost 28)
AT2(AW) 5 AD, 4 SELRES (honorably w/ no NJPs or negative marks)
All MP Evals
3.56 Virginia Tech BA History
3.60 Guilford Tech AS Aviation Management
~160 flight hours ASEL/IFR
6/7/7 50 (one retake left)
Founder/President of Student Veterans Org @ VT
Multiple hours volunteer time, Pilots-n-Paws, Homes-for-Troops
LORs - US Senator, 2-Star USAF Pilot/VTCC Commandant, Current CO, Board member from Pilots-n-Paws
Currently employed as an account manager for a large commercial aircraft company
TS/SCI clearance

the banger! --> Admitted drug use 10 years ago & a dropped DIP charge, 3 speeding tickets
if your DIP charge was dropped, I don't see why that would be an issue. Others might say differently. Having the TS/SCI clearance is def awesome to have. I don't think too many people who are applying that are non-priors or currently in can say they have one.

exNavyOffRec

if your DIP charge was dropped, I don't see why that would be an issue. Others might say differently. Having the TS/SCI clearance is def awesome to have. I don't think too many people who are applying that are non-priors or currently in can say they have one.

Any arrest are an issue.

VFRonly

Pro-Rec SNFO May, 3rd 2013
I would like to just let everyone know here that with the advice from my OR, I am not applying this board due to my ASTB score, it was a 47 5/6/5. I will be done with my degree requirements in a few months and I will be able to then put all of my effort into studying for a retake so that I can put my application in the July board with a lot better chance of getting selected NFO which is my goal. I may be getting a letter of recommendation from an active O-4 NFO as well which may help. Good luck to all applicants!

nombrescreeno

It is very possible some NRD's will try to submit only those with PQ letters to make sure that NRD gets credit.

Understood, but it seems like what Graham2017 is saying that you still need to go to MEPS before application submission (Feb 1), PQ letter can come later but must be in by the time the board meets (Mar 4). That seems odd given that the board doesn't see anyone's medical paperwork. And from what you wrote, an NRD can still get credit if they get a PQ letter after selection - but they run the risk of not getting any credit if non-select