• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cecil Field vs. Oceana...not done yet!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Like wise...I wasn't even a needle width close to the A4s "message" mode. ....Similarly, when I was in high school in Hawaii.....
*Sigh* ...You've hurt me deeply, Joe ... but I will get over it.

2nd point: where did you go to school?? Kailua???

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
*Sigh* ...You've hurt me deeply, Joe ... but I will get over it.

2nd point: where did you go to school?? Kailua???

1) I meant that as a sincere compliment - nobody can lay on the message like you...Brett can generate a tart quip, but you send a MESSAGE (often illustrated) and part of the true richness of AW (and entertainment).

2) Yes, I am a Kailua grad...didn't want to be a private school type..of course, I learned what it was like to be part of a minority there (Ha'ole was typically preceded by F___ing)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like it's going to be tough for Cecil

Looks like a local judge in Jax is shutting down the vote in Nov. for moving the MJB to Cecil. Probably more fights in the future of this colossal BRAC CF.

If you want to hear a bizarre song about saving Cecil, go to this site and the music will begin playing automatically. You can even download the .mp3 if you wish and print the lyrics.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So yeah...what about Beaufort...can they support the increase in numbers there? That was my first thought when someone said that Cecil doesn't want us and Oceana may have to close....

Hell, I'd damn sure rather go there than back to Jacksonville....although NAS Key West sounds like a smart move to me.:)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So yeah...what about Beaufort...can they support the increase in numbers there? That was my first thought when someone said that Cecil doesn't want us and Oceana may have to close....

Hell, I'd damn sure rather go there than back to Jacksonville....although NAS Key West sounds like a smart move to me.:)

Beaufort over JAX? You've got to be kidding.

Brett

Navyfan06

pilot
Beaufort is GREAT! Only an hour from Charleston and like 20 min to Savannah, GA. Great town, great people, small , but very friendly-pro military town. When the airshow is going on people come out in droves to see everything, can't go on enough about the place. Although I really don't think they have the infrastructure to support all the jets from NAS Oceana.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
You guys are reading me wrong. I'm referring to the people in the Hampton Roads area in general. On a personal level they'd rather piss on you than give you the time of day. That's the impression I got while I was stationed there. I've heard some defend them claiming that it's because of the stupid stuff that squids do that sours the community towards us, but I never got that impression anywhere else I was stationed. I know that Chesapeake is supposed to be one of the best cities to raise a family, and maybe I'd get a different vibe from the area now that I'm older, married and have kids. But back when I was a young enlisted sailor, I hated the area with a passion. I'm speaking based on my experience, so you guys who love Norfolk can put your pitchforks down, cuz I didn't mean to piss anybody off.

I don't get that feeling, I mean sure there are some who might not appreciate the military's presence but I'm sure that's in pretty much every military town. I wouldn't call it an overwhelming presence or a majority by no means though. This area would not be developed the way it is if it wasn't for the military presence, and should Oceana go away I think they will realize that. I hope Oceana doesn't myself, but that might be wishful thinking

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beaufort is GREAT! Only an hour from Charleston and like 20 min to Savannah, GA. Great town, great people, small , but very friendly-pro military town. When the airshow is going on people come out in droves to see everything, can't go on enough about the place. Although I really don't think they have the infrastructure to support all the jets from NAS Oceana.

Seriously, I have to agree with Brett, you have got to be sh#tting me!! :confused: Having lived in Charleston for 4 years and going down to Beaufort a few times I can honestly say there is nothing there. There is less to do there than in Oak Harbor, and there ain't a whole heck of a lot to do there either.

And it ain't 20 minutes to Savannah, more like an hour......

Navyfan06

pilot
Hey Flash - Lived in good old chucktown for my 4 years in hell too! Just graduated, Beaufort is growing pretty quickly, granted its not as big as Jax, but there is more and more stuff to do down there. And yea its about 45 min (clocked it from bluffton where I would stay w/friends), but River Street in Savannah is a great time!

Have a good one!

Go Dogs!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Man, me too ....

MAN! MAN!!! MAN!!!!
HA HA!!!! Couldn't resist.;)

I lived right in between Kings Bay and JAX for not quite three years. I'm just not a city kinda guy. I wouldn't argue that Jax has "more going on in the traditional sense but most of it is just not that stuff I'm in to. I don't mind driving 45 minutes when I want to go party as opposed to 45 minutes when I want some peace and quiet and some space from my neighbors...Just how I like it...I realize for most its the other way round.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Flash - Lived in good old chucktown for my 4 years in hell too! Just graduated, Beaufort is growing pretty quickly, granted its not as big as Jax, but there is more and more stuff to do down there. And yea its about 45 min (clocked it from bluffton where I would stay w/friends), but River Street in Savannah is a great time!

Have a good one!

Go Dogs!

Population comparison:

Charleston- 106,712 (2005 estimate)

Savannah- 313,883 (2005 estimate)

Beaufort, SC- 12,950 (2000 census)......12,058 (July 2005 estimate)

Growing?.......:confused:

Oh, yeah....Fight Dogs, Fight!

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
There are a few squeaky wheels around here complaining about jet noise, but I think they are the minority. Their case has been bolstered and spot lighted by the blatant politics really at fault for this debacle.

It is a military town: North side is NASA / Langely and Fort Monroe (US Army), Cheasapeake is Naval Security Group Northwest, Norfolk has 2 big Navy bases, VA Beach has Oceana.
There is a healthy respect for the military in this town and it is a huge employer around here.

I agree...the CG also has about 5000 people in the Hampton Roads area; Hampton Roads has one of the largest concentrations of military personnel in the US. And I agree about the bellyaching...it is a vocal minority and something easily covered by the local media. Do they not give a sh!t about our armed forces...who knows. There is a mixture of those who moved into the flight pattern of the jet base and will always be unhappy(idiots), those who were OK with the Tomcats and are unhappy w/the increase in noise of the Hornets (semi-idiots), and those who are not under the pattern but get the occasional window-rattling jet overhead who is entering/leaving the area a little differently (a weak point, but still a point). But that doesn't mean they curse the military...just the nameless/faceless senior leadership. Planes often alter patterns they fly in areas because of noise abatement. As it will always be when airports are in populated areas.

I was stationed in Portsmouth in the late '80s...most of the folks I met were way pro-military (of course the local bars would have folks who roll there eyes at us...what bar doesn't when they see drunken sailors?). I still have family in Norfolk and have found the same positive climate.

Time changes everything I guess. Back in my day folks in Norfolk would post signs "Sailors and dogs keep off the grass".:icon_wink

Here is a link supposedly debunking this: http://www.snopes.com/military/keepoff.asp
Drop them a line to set them straight if need be, Chief.:)