• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

taxi1

pilot
NYC was proof that locking down was the right thing to do, because NYC locked down late with respect to the arrival of the virus, and see what happened to them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One could argue that if someone is making $20 million a year, do they really need $23 million a year?
Telling someone else what they “need” is a dangerous road to go down. Who gets to dictate what people allegedly “need,” and what stops them from pushing their own agendas?

The American system is designed to decentralize power and insulate the status quo from the whims of the mob for good reasons.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Will be interesting to see what happens in GA, TN, SC in a few weeks. Hopefully you're right.
TN won’t change much. Gov Lee gave areas with their own health departments the ability to make their own decision. So all the major metro areas have decided to close until May 5th now.. ?. Fedex hasn’t slowed down in Memphis. In fact, picked up and the numbers of Covid cases at FedEx are very small..

Treetop Flyer

pilot
NYC was proof that locking down was the right thing to do, because NYC locked down late with respect to the arrival of the virus, and see what happened to them.
NYC is the most densely populated place in the country. I don’t get on packed busses or subways. I don’t have multiple roommates crammed into a tiny apartment. NYC is not representative of the vast majority of the country. Living in suburbia and driving to an office is not nearly the same level of exposure.

Somehow Sweden isn’t having to use bulldozers to clear the bodies from the streets. Instead those streets have people sitting at cafes living their lives.

taxi1

pilot
We're going to find out. The experiment is nowhere close to being concluded.

I'm all about relaxing things as soon as possible. Just not going draw the conclusion yet that "for the vast majority of the country that was never a realistic threat".

SlickAg

pilot

I'm all about relaxing things as soon as possible. Just not going draw the conclusion yet that "for the vast majority of the country that was never a realistic threat".
“Tegnell said sampling and modeling data indicated that 20% of Stockholm’s population is already immune to the virus, and that “in a few weeks’ time we might reach herd immunity and we believe that is why we’re seeing a slow decline in cases, in spite of sampling (testing for the coronavirus) more and more.””

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I live in AZ. 7.3 million people. Phoenix metro is 4.8 million. Lots of tourists and a measure of international business. Much of the Navajo Nation is in AZ and it has been hit hard, per capita. Lots of retirees and nursing homes. All that is to say we ain't NY or FL or even ND.

As of yesterday, AZ has tested 56,600 people and we have 5459 cases. Just 229 deaths. Soon they will be testing 1000 people a day ramping to 3000+ per day. Hospitals are at about 60% capacity with a 25% surge in additional beds available in a formerly closed hospital configured for this emergency. Only 9% of hospital beds are COVID patients. ICUs are also at 60%. Currently just 18% of ICU beds are COVID use (about 280 people). Every ICU bed, 1650, has a ventilator and about 50 ventilators are in reserve. Although the daily reporting of cases has been highly variable, you could infer that the state is on the down side if no new unreported numbers flood in.

With reasonable precaution, not unlike what the feds are recommending, and capacity for a bit of a rebound in cases, doesn't this look like a state that could start to get back to work? I think so. And I am sure there are states that have even better numbers going into this debate.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

I didn’t say that. I said for the majority of the country it was never a realistic threat to overwhelm the system. Now for the vast majority of Americans, yeah it was never a realistic threat.

SlickAg

pilot
I live in AZ. 7.3 million people. Phoenix metro is 4.8 million. Lots of tourists and a measure of international business. Much of the Navajo Nation is in AZ and it has been hit hard, per capita. Lots of retirees and nursing homes. All that is to say we ain't NY or FL or even ND.

As of yesterday, AZ has tested 56,600 people and we have 5459 cases. Just 229 deaths. Soon they will be testing 1000 people a day ramping to 3000+ per day. Hospitals are at about 60% capacity with a 25% surge in additional beds available in a formerly closed hospital configured for this emergency. Only 9% of hospital beds are COVID patients. ICUs are also at 60%. Currently just 18% of ICU beds are COVID use (about 280 people). Every ICU bed, 1650, has a ventilator and about 50 ventilators are in reserve. Although the daily reporting of cases has been highly variable, you could infer that the state is on the down side if no new unreported numbers flood in.

With reasonable precaution, not unlike what the feds are recommending, and capacity for a bit of a rebound in cases, doesn't this look like a state that could start to get back to work? I think so. And I am sure there are states that have even better numbers going into this debate.
Sounds very similar to Florida. I watched an interview with their governor last night (not the one referenced below) that talked about their response and their plan. They targeted assisted living facilities and nursing homes, set up rapid response teams to respond to outbreaks there, and basically told everyone else to be responsible. Never banned outdoor recreational activities.

Both are very telling in light of articles I posted saying that nursing homes accounted something like 50% of the deaths, and the NYC subway was the biggest culprit in transmission; not to mention when you force people to stay inside together you’re essentially assuring transmitting the virus to everyone you’re with.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think the experiment is well underway in some states where the government has taken a more hands-off approach. I think we might be surprised at the stats that come out of Arkansas and Oklahoma, for example. (Not that any state has all the answers for themselves or for any of their neighbors.)

The article that @Treetop Flyer posted yesterday (the one about "what if" the virus hit Montana but spared New York) was clickbait, and he warned us as such- but the article really strikes a chord because there is a certain smugness, defensiveness, and natural suspicion anytime there are two or more groups of people who have different lifestyles (I think the word for it is ignorance).

There are plenty of lessons for all of the states to learn and to make the residents question their particular lifestyles. California has their "car culture" that has apparently done a lot to limit the spread... but contrast that with there is a clear blue sky over the entire state that hasn't existed there since, well, since before the invention of color photography. I think subways and mass transit, the systems in dense cities that is, are really fantastic in how a government can invest in the common good (federal and state government roles includes the roads... right?) but those same systems are getting a lot of blame for spreading the virus. So who's right and who's wrong? And it's funny because for a long time, both states have had an outsize influence a lot of policies for the rest of the country. I'm not trying to make it about so-called coastal elites vs flyover states, it just makes you wonder about so many things that we take for granted, whether it's what "works" in our day to day lives or what just "is" in our lives.

SlickAg

pilot

More than 1 in 5 New Yorkers are estimated to have had the Coronavirus. In other words, 2 million people.

@taxi1 , remember the CNBC article I posted today that said Stockholm has had a 20% infection rate as well?

So, NYC locks down, and has a 20% infection rate. Stockholm does NOT lock down, and has a 20% infection rate...

Last edited: