• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Treetop Flyer

pilot
View attachment 25342

More than 1 in 5 New Yorkers are estimated to have had the Coronavirus. In other words, 2 million people.

@taxi1 , remember the CNBC article I posted today that said Stockholm has had a 20% infection rate as well?

So, NYC locks down, and has a 20% infection rate. Stockholm does NOT lock down, and has a 20% infection rate...
Wonderful “breaking news headline” too

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
NYC is the most densely populated place in the country. I don’t get on packed busses or subways. I don’t have multiple roommates crammed into a tiny apartment. NYC is not representative of the vast majority of the country. Living in suburbia and driving to an office is not nearly the same level of exposure.

Somehow Sweden isn’t having to use bulldozers to clear the bodies from the streets. Instead those streets have people sitting at cafes living their lives.

Agreed. The Swedish government handled this crisis like mature adults, and will still have a working economy when this is over.

Our government panicked like scared children, and destroyed three years of positive economic growth in a matter of weeks. Hoping those in power can pull their head out of their ass soon and open up the country, before we hit 1930s levels of poverty.

SlickAg

pilot
Agreed. The Swedish government handled this crisis like mature adults, and will still have a working economy when this is over.

Our government panicked like scared children, and destroyed three years of positive economic growth in a matter of weeks. Hoping those in power can pull their head out of their ass soon and open up the country, before we hit 1930s levels of poverty.
I’d love to be optimistic on this but I fear it’s already too late.

D

Deleted member 24525

View attachment 25338
[/QUOTE]
You’re right, comrade! How dare those evil capitalists try to maximize profits!!

View attachment 25338
nope.

This is your quote that I’m responding to:

“A higher minimum wage also means less people that a company can afford to hire. Less workers=less people buying crap. Let companies compete with each other over talent. Wages/benefits will work themselves out.”

Listen, I give ZERO fucks how much money Jeff Bezos makes-zero-good on him. HOWEVER, your argument is that he can’t affford to hire more people if the minimum wage goes up-and that’s complete horseshit. He CAN afford it. He just doesn’t want to.

so NO, advocating for higher wages from the working class is not Leninist or Marxist, but nice try.

I can not believe how much we argue against our own benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I recently read a chapter from the book "Humble Pi - When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World" that made a convincing case for why CEO pay went up so much and stayed there.

Part of a typical CEOs compensation is in stock options. Prior to 2006, the valuation of stock options was often misunderstood by company boards, and during a period of economic expansion, they began compensating CEOs in what amounted to a lot more money than they realized. Then, a formula was released that allowed options to be valued effectively (the guy who came up with it apparently won the Nobel Prize in Economics). But by then, CEO pay had effectively tripled due to what amounted to years of over-payment in the form of stock options. Thus, it led to a new, unintended high valuation for CEOs, and a "new normal" for their compensation package.

[tl;dr]: Companies now pay their CEOs proportionally three times more than they used to due to a misunderstanding of how to value a particular type of security. I'm sure there are other factors at work, but it was nice to read something other than the "Greedy CEOs are hogging all the cash!" media narrative.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
It will be an interesting experiment if/when Universities open back up in the Fall. That's a big part of a lot of town economies. Even if the students are young and resilient, the professors span the age range. Dorms are close quarters.

What are the academies contemplating right now?

D

Deleted member 24525

Telling someone else what they “need” is a dangerous road to go down. Who gets to dictate what people allegedly “need,” and what stops them from pushing their own agendas?

The American system is designed to decentralize power and insulate the status quo from the whims of the mob for good reasons.
Myself and the person you quoted are not making the same argument. I WANT the CEOs, and anyone in America, for that matter. To make as much as possible. I’m not going to say “who NEEDS 20 mil or 25 million.”

I’m simply stating that hiring less people isn’t the only option, raising prices isn’t the only option if you increase minimum wage.
good on them for making a lot of money, but pay your fucking people.

Last edited by a moderator:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
It will be an interesting experiment if/when Universities open back up in the Fall. That's a big part of a lot of town economies. Even if the students are young and resilient, the professors span the age range. Dorms are close quarters.

What are the academies contemplating right now?

They are cutting staff and laying off employees. I saw a headline yesterday that Johns Hopkins was projecting $475 million in losses.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I recently read a chapter from the book "Humble Pi - When Math Goes Wrong in the Real World" that made a convincing case for why CEO pay went up so much and stayed there.

Part of a typical CEOs compensation is in stock options. Prior to 2006, the valuation of stock options was often misunderstood by company boards, and during a period of economic expansion, they began compensating CEOs in what amounted to a lot more money than they realized. Then, a formula was released that allowed options to be valued effectively (the guy who came up with it apparently won the Nobel Prize in Economics). But by then, CEO pay had effectively tripled due to what amounted to years of over-payment in the form of stock options. Thus, it led to a new, unintended high valuation for CEOs, and a "new normal" for their compensation package.

[tl;dr]: Companies now pay their CEOs proportionally three times more than they used to due to a misunderstanding of how to value a particular type of security. I'm sure there are other factors at work, but it was nice to read something other than the "Greedy CEOs are hogging all the cash!" media narrative.

If people really wanted to see what CEOs of public companies make, in the form of cash compensation, all they have to do is look at the their annual 10-k filing (I'm a finance guy). Hint...it's heavily weighted toward stock options.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wages represent compensation proportional to productivity, responsibility and the investment made by the employee to prepare for the job ( training, degrees). A minimum wage may force a business to pay employees more than they produce. And don't forget, many entry level jobs do pay more than minimum wage as that is what the market for labor demands in that area. There is no such thing as a minimum living wage. Woman with 4 kids and a car loan going to get paid more than a teenager for the same job? Who's living are you trying to support?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If people really wanted to see what CEOs of public companies make, in the form of cash compensation, all they have to do is look at the their annual 10-k filing (I'm a finance guy). Hint...it's heavily weighted toward stock options.
Among other reasons CEOs get so much stock, is because employees and stock holders resent high salaries for CEOs, especially when they are taking in a huge paycheck and the company is sucking wind. So, Boards start paying in stock to "tie" their CEOs to company performance. But usually they are options, sometimes they are gifted stock with no requirement to hold it, and many other tactics most employees and stock holders, don't understand. In the end, when performance is good, CEOs (and other officers) can rake in the dough. When performance is poor, CEOs still do just fine.