• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dip in the cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
A4sForever said:
Jesus Christ .... it's a JOKE !!! Stand at ease, LTJG .... and throttle back. Sigh ..... Man, there's so much hate in the world ..... :)

(can we turn this into a firearms forum, now ... ?? :) )

ok, like I said I may have been missing something, kind of hard to tell tone in a text internet message....

KBayDog

A4sForever said:
I would suppose that's why many Marines (well, who knows with USMC ... ) and Zoomies "don't" dimple ... USMC garrison caps were introduced during WW1 but not too many Marines flew multi-engine/multi-crew aircraft " B-I-T-D".

Marines don't dimple because of a peculiar guy named "Sergeant Major." The man who decends from the heavens and gives a Kiwi enema to any poor sap who commits the heinous act of *gulp* walking on the grass, or putting anything other than air in his cargo pockets, does not take kindly to any interpretation of P1020.34_ other than the one he learned in 8511 school.

So, if I'm feeling like a rebel (or just having a bad day), I'll wear my pisscutter cocked to the right side like my WWII Gyrene forefathers. Perfectly legal, and gets a few looks from the old-timers. It is my way of walking on the grass with my hands in my pockets.

Semper Fi, Mac...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Marines don't dimple because of a peculiar guy named "Sergeant Major." The man who decends from the heavens and gives a Kiwi enema to any poor sap who commits the heinous act of *gulp* walking on the grass, or putting anything other than air in his cargo pockets, does not take kindly to any interpretation of P1020.34_ other than the one he learned in 8511 school.

So, if I'm feeling like a rebel (or just having a bad day), I'll wear my pisscutter cocked to the right side like my WWII Gyrene forefathers. Perfectly legal, and gets a few looks from the old-timers. It is my way of walking on the grass with my hands in my pockets.

Semper Fi, Mac...
Kiwi enema? How bizarre, yet funny ;)

Brett

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Command ballcapd are awesome. They don't get blown off your head by the wind and are easy toput on with one hand.

I know a guy whose roommate in college went Supply and is now the Helo control guy on his ship. This guy thinks this makes him part of the aviation community so he ordered himself a leather jacket and wears it all the time.

KBayDog

Brett327 said:
Kiwi enema? How bizarre, yet funny ;)

Brett

Bizarre, yes. If you are a Marine, it is not funny :eek:

At least I'm not going to boot camp these days - I bet the brown suede irritates the cornhole a lot more than smooth Kiwi did :D

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Hey guys....what ever happened to tucking the tie in the shirt thing? I thought that was pretty damn flashy, made popular by the Army Air Corps if I'm not mistakened. Did navy guys back then do the same thing? Or am i just hallucinating? Anyways....just thought id bring that up cuz i did it once in my SDBs at a dining in and my CO smiled at me (then again i was a lil tipsy) :eek: . BOOYAH!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
Hey guys....what ever happened to tucking the tie in the shirt thing? I thought that was pretty damn flashy, made popular by the Army Air Corps if I'm not mistakened.

(This comes from my Dad --- USA (ret) , joined 1939 as buck pvt, entered pre-draft, pre-Pearl Harbor (couldn't get a job) and retired as an O-6, he saw "the pre-WW2 Army" -- much smaller and usually all professional).

He said: The tucked tie was an Army deal --- usually mandated by individual commands when wearing no uniform coat -- hotter climes and summer, again. See why I like Hawaii and the Philippines ??? Some Army uniforms (long sleeve shirts -- no blouse/coat) required a tie. Short sleeve shirts did not ....

Most troopers did not have a "tie clasp" -- uniform or otherwise (Depression days --- no extra $$$ -- remember?) -- and the spectre of 200 ties flapping in the breeze on the parade ground was more than some CO's would tolerate. Patton was one of the more famous examples who required his men to wear ties -- tucked -- even in a combat zone.

Navy guys (myself included) who partook of this idiosyncrasy did it while eating just to keep the chow off our ties ---- maybe that's why they call it "The Officers' MESS" ??? I still do the drill (tie inside shirt) or take it off completely (the tie, not the shirt, you fool:) ) when partaking of that delightful diversion known as the "crew meal" @ 39,000 feet on the way to Tokyo. I've got several shirts trembling for mercy before the ladies in the Tokyo laundry --- but only one tie.

image230.jpg
image231.jpg

Which is sharper ?? See the difference ... ???

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously, Road, being prior SWO you should have the "one handed two finger spread" down by now(preferred method for the single-mano garrison donning).

Personally not a fan of the command ball cap. Seen too many toolbox senior officers sporting the "flat bill, not broken in" farmer look. Great gifts for family though.

I prefer the grimy salty grubby wash khaki cover. Extra "mung" on the headband for me please.

(Mung can also be found on Bourbon Street, actually ON the street at about 4am. It's what they're hosing off)

B

Blutonski816

KBayDog said:

That's the first thing I learned when I was in a USMC JROTC in High school...
One of my Instructors was a SgtMaj who spent 30 years in the Corps. the Senior instructor learned my name easily, but the good ole Sergeant Major totally butchered the pronunciation of my first name and did so from the day I started to the day I graduated. When my fellow cadets asked me, "dude, why don't you tell him how to pronounce your name?" I just looked at them and said "I don't care who you are, nobody tells the Sergeant Major how to do things."

beau

Always though that Dip was for Hookers. Or I heard it was for guys with 100 traps. Either way I dont see any STUDs with the Dip that is for sure.....oh wait, one of the guys in my class does it......I should slap him silly! He is a prior too!!!??? I'm kinda under that "I havent earned yet" mentality.....as i should be!

Pags

N/A
pilot
But what is gonna earn it for you if you don't know what it represents? Ain't nothing wrong with an SNA sporting the dip in my opinion.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
etnuclearsailor What about the non-aviation chiefs doing it? Is it possible this look has spread so far from its origins to have lost its meaning?[/QUOTE said:
Well, Chief's do it because they can!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Guys ... let me help you out here. There is nothing "special" about the so-called "dip" in the rear (front of cap or no "dip" for dweebs) of the garrison/piss-cutter/overseas khaki cap. It is an "affectation" -- historical, traditional, that many (most?) Aviators and probably a lot of black shoes participate in ..... that's it. There ain't no more. :)

There are a lot of uniform "affectations" taken in the interest of individuality in a uniformed, conformist organization. Check out sailors' white hats or Dragons/Lightening Bolts on their finest Hong Kong tailored blues, for example. It is ALWAYS fun, interesting, and educational to check out/discuss stuff like this, for example, -- and keep it coming --- for its historical origins and so forth --- but it is not a badge of "Been There Done That ..." it just ain't.

gretagarbo.jpg
GARBO LIKED "WINGS" ON HER DIXIE CUP !! GASP !!

Soooo ... what does that mean ???:) See my point ... ??

gpa%20brunelle%20navy%20w%20hat%20fix.jpg
ww2navyhat.jpg

Just be grateful you don't sport these ..... !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.