• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dream sheet--WWII

What WWII USN/USMC aircraft would you want to fly?

• Total voters

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
#1--F4U Corsair
#2--F6F Hellcat
#3--FM2 Wildcat (this is the improved Wildcat, or Wilder Wildcat)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Devastator, Hornet VT-8, June 4, '42...on John Waldron's wing.

Ahh, final flight to glory. I'd want to have been George Gay or Albert Earnest of the VT-8 Avenger detachment. The only two pilots to survive.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
anyone for the heavies...like the Privateer??
1458330062_64f61c0f19.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
than you might want to get in to one of these.... I think the Harpoon actually raided some of the Japanese held Aleutians as well as sink a butt-ton of U-boats in the Atlantic.

Well, there's no Kingfisher either if we're going to get a bit more obscure.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ahh, final flight to glory. I'd want to have been George Gay or Albert Earnest of the VT-8 Avenger detachment. The only two pilots to survive.
One of my Dad's brothers was in VT-3 of the YORKTOWN Air Group ... obviously, I never had the chance to meet him as he was lost in the battle.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You wankers can always put "other" down. I also omitted the blimps, too, if you want to be picky. There were a couple dozen different aircraft types employed by just the USN and USMC. I just put down the more famous ones.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Mumbles: That's the PB4Y-2 Privateer that they're re-building at Sherman Field. My dad was an AMS-2 & waist-gunner in this a/c in New Guinea, Morotai & the Leyte Gulf Campaign. It was used for high-altitude bombing & photo-reconnaissance.

MettGT

pilot
F4U....and although not USMC/USN I do like the P-38 for WWII era aircraft. Grandpa flew them in the Pacific.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
You wankers can always put "other" down. I also omitted the blimps, too, if you want to be picky. There were a couple dozen different aircraft types employed by just the USN and USMC. I just put down the more famous ones.

EZ Phrogger....
at least I didn't put this flying flapjack down!:icon_tong
zim1.jpg

whatever you do....please don't give me a set of these....unless you get me a job with Goodyear flying over the superbowl!
images

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EZ Phrogger....
at least I didn't put this flying flapjack down!:icon_tong
zim1.jpg

Now the question becomes . . . Who can name the flying flapjack? (Hint: it comes from a company well known for making Navy aircraft)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Now the question becomes . . . Who can name the flying flapjack? (Hint: it comes from a company well known for making Navy aircraft)
Vought, of course :) ... or is that what you meant ???

Or was it International House of Pancakes ???

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor

There's a great article in the Winter '91 issue of The Hook magazine about the test flying of the Vought V-173, the testbed for the proposed F5U (which was built, but never flown). Vought's best experimental test pilot, Boone Guyton, flew the first flight on 23 November 1942. To say it was eventful is an understatement. Heavy vibration and unresponsive controls nearly caused a disaster, but Guyton was able to get it back on the ground in one piece. The aircraft landed by going to full power, pulling the nose up and letting the big wing area slow the aircraft down to a near zero-speed landing. The aircraft was finally retired in March 1947 and now resides in the National Air And Space Museum (it may still be in storage... I don't know).

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
There's a great article in the Winter '91 issue of The Hook magazine about the test flying of the Vought V-173, the testbed for the proposed F5U (which was built, but never flown). Vought's best experimental test pilot, Boone Guyton, flew the first flight on 23 November 1942. To say it was eventful is an understatement. Heavy vibration and unresponsive controls nearly caused a disaster, but Guyton was able to get it back on the ground in one piece. The aircraft landed by going to full power, pulling the nose up and letting the big wing area slow the aircraft down to a near zero-speed landing. The aircraft was finally retired in March 1947 and now resides in the National Air And Space Museum (it may still be in storage... I don't know).

proof again...

if you can put big enuff motors on it....you can make a turd fly.