• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dream sheet--WWII

What WWII USN/USMC aircraft would you want to fly?

• Total voters

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Corsair is absolutely crushing the competition on this one. Pappy Boyington would be proud.

I imagine the multirole aspect of this aircraft is in play here, but probably it's mostly the fact that it looks absolutely badass!

Pags

N/A
pilot
I go back to my roots in patrol aviation. Back in the days when the message "sighted sub, sank same" actually had a chance of actually being sent.

I can't remember which book it was in, but it had a great story about a unit in Iceland that was unlucky in its sub hunts. In order to motivate his crews, the CO ordered the club closed until a sub was sunk. The crew that sank the first U-boat sent "sank sub, open club."

mttaggart

The F7F never saw combat in WWII... not exactly a "WWII platform" in that regard.

I know the common knowledge says that the Tigercat saw no combat in WWII, but it was in service before the end of the war, right? Engagements, maybe not, but definitely sorties flown. My grandfather was with the 79th Seabees on Okinawa in 1945, and has often regaled me with tales of Marines flying the roaring Tigercat then. So, the war wasn't over. Does that still count?

'Cause good lord is that plane a beauty. And with those engines, I understand it can climb like nobody's business.

MasterBates

Corsair, because its cool.

Hellcat, because it kicked mucho ass. And was "easier" behind the boat (an important feature, if I am flying)

But I would probably be out of Anthros for everything but the PBY and Privateer.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
But I would probably be out of Anthros for everything but the PBY and Privateer.

Amen....

Don't forget:

nanbelob.jpg

Insert appropriate (or not so) % question here.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... But I would probably be out of Anthros for everything but the PBY and Privateer.
No anthros in the "real" world ... only in today's kinder, gentler Navy. In the ol' days -- you could fly whatever you were good enough to fly ... :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Corsair is absolutely crushing the competition on this one. Pappy Boyington would be proud.

I imagine the multirole aspect of this aircraft is in play here, but probably it's mostly the fact that it looks absolutely badass!

Because the Corsair was the shit. Lets see, scored kills from WWII up to July of 69....defeated both the P-51 (F-51 at the time) and the ground attack version of itself. A Mig kill to boot in the Korean War, along with a few Yaks. My wife is friends with the wife of a local lawyer, John Bordeleon, cousin to the Navy's only Korean War ace and night-figter Corsair Ace.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Anybody catch the Dogfights show on the History channel yesterday with that featured the F6F? Great show, good interviews with some Aces of WWII and of the Hellcat. Found it to be a great episode though, I don't I watch it regularly.

Yank

Anybody catch the Dogfights show on the History channel yesterday with that featured the F6F? Great show, good interviews with some Aces of WWII and of the Hellcat. Found it to be a great episode though, I don't I watch it regularly.

Great show, but if they had shown the "camera" bouncing around in the turbulence one more time I was going to go crazy. That's a silly and useless little contrivance in an otherwise good show.

Does this bother anyone else, or am I just touchy?

If you watch closely, they will screw the graphics up alittle from time to time. I saw a Mosquito with accurate markings (roundels) in one scene, and a UNION JACK on the fuselage in the next!

To get around the threadjack, I chose Corsair, for pure aesthetic appeal. Read The Jolly Rogers by Blackburn if you haven't already.

badger16

None
Though the corsair is super sexy, i'd have to go with the Hellcat. Big is beautiful!

If I had my choice of any Naval aircraft of WWII it would be anN Australin Navy Hawker Sea Fury...Now that is a beautiful bird!

brownshoe

Contributor
No anthros in the "real" world ... only in today's kinder, gentler Navy. In the ol' days -- you could fly whatever you were good enough to fly ... :)

No kidding. I didn’t know about anthros then, but we had an IP in 44 whose callsign was “Cyclops” what does that tell you?:) How he stuffed his body into an A-4 was beyond me, but he did.

On a lighter note; he also had an MGA, like me at the time. And how he stuffed his body into that car is also beyond me, but he did. We played “tag” a time or two on 103rd Street just outside the gate of Cecil.:)

Ah the old Navy.;)

Steve

brownshoe

Contributor

Was "Skeeterman" in this episode?:D:tongue2_1

Steve

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Sorry for being a post whore, and most of these aren't USN warbirds, but I took these pics at Wright-Patt AFB last summer. Amazing, Amazing museum.

Attachments

• wrightpatt 027_800x600.jpg
    wrightpatt 027_800x600.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 18
  • wrightpatt 049_800x600.jpg
    wrightpatt 049_800x600.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 23
  • wrightpatt 051_800x600.jpg
    wrightpatt 051_800x600.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 15
  • wrightpatt 055_800x600.jpg
    wrightpatt 055_800x600.jpg