• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Dual Controls ??

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Hey all. I was wondering if anybody was aware of a "trainer" version of the F-14. I was 99 percent sure there never was one and that ALL F-14s could only be flown from the front seat. Any info to the contrary or can anybody confirm?

Thanks.

Rubiks06

pilot
If thats the case then how did a new pilot qualify in the 14? Or was there just a bunch of sim time then they sent you on your way with an NFO or instructor that hoped you knew what you were doing?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
If thats the case then how did a new pilot qualify in the 14? Or was there just a bunch of sim time then they sent you on your way with an NFO or instructor that hoped you knew what you were doing?

Same way they qualify / ed in the F-8, F4D, A-6, EA-6B and anything else with one set of controls and / or seat. Alone after sims and training or with a qualed pilot or NFO in the right seat.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First hop for a new pilot in the FRS was IP up front, new pilot in RIO's seat. Out to the working area for a performance demo...come back land, hot pump, hot switch seats, take off with new pilot in front for first hop at controls, IP in back, do same performance demo flight just shown to pilot.

Every hop after that one was Pilot/RIO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First hop for a new pilot in the FRS was IP up front, new pilot in RIO's seat. Out to the working area for a performance demo...come back land, hot pump, hot switch seats, take off with new pilot in front for first hop at controls, IP in back, do same performance demo flight just shown to pilot.

FRPs get 10 backseat hours in the Prowler, then first few flights are with an IP in the right seat to get them through stalls/falls and circus landings.

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor

So did the FRS IPs get to log a little NFO time?...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So did the FRS IPs get to log a little NFO time?...
With 2 pilots up front, right seater logs copilot time. With an NFO up front, NFO logs special crew time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With 2 pilots up front, right seater logs copilot time. With an NFO up front, NFO logs special crew time.

Did you feel like the sims adequately prepared you for PF-1? I know the backseat time is more for getting used to the flow of things, but the sim isn't exactly known for its high fidelity. Just curious about your own experience.

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor

How can you log copilot time if you have no way of actually taking control of the aircraft? I guess prowler guys could technically reach over the the center section, but for F-14 guys? I'm guessing this is a question of symantics and thats just how the Navy decided to do things...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F-14 RIO seat was special crew time...nothing else.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you feel like the sims adequately prepared you for PF-1? I know the backseat time is more for getting used to the flow of things, but the sim isn't exactly known for its high fidelity. Just curious about your own experience.

Brett
PM sent.

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
They actually made the new pilot sit on the instructor's lap.