• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Dual Controls ??

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ you weren't asking me, but Australia flies them and Kaman still supports the H-2 today.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ you weren't asking me, but Australia flies them and Kaman still supports the H-2 today.

When the Navy dropped them out of inventory, others benefited. I think the Kiwis are flying an even sweeter version right now that was a new build whereas Aussies are still trying to get theirs certified last I heard and Egyptians took some on, too. Poland was supposed to get some FFG-7 Frigates with SH-2s (in the garage so to speak).

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Hey guys, first off, no hard feelings for ripping me a new one and thanks for actually answering the question about dual controls in the 14 in the original post. I understand where you were coming from. It's been explained to me.

Secondly, I'd love to give you guys a ride over the mean streets of San Diego County. Not sure the boss would allow it though. Feel free to shoot me a message if you're interested and I could at least show you around the place.

Third, as far as my thoughts on the H-2 (and I know this thread has morphed a bit and I'm sorry) I loved it. I liked what it did and I thought it was one sexy bitch. I knew ASW was on the way out since the end of the cold war but counter narcotics and SSC in the Gulf with the doors off and the crappy M-60 hanging out each side was pretty cool. Wish we had the miniguns instead.

The H-2 was the jack of all trades, master of none. ASW, ASST, SSC, medevac, SAR, UNREP, troop transport, etc. You name it, we did it. A good variety of stuff.

The SH-2G (HSL-84) was much better than the F model. It was like sticking a corvette engine in a Volkwagon. Basically the same engines as the H-60 in a much lighter bird. It also had an incredible, stand-alone ASW sonobouy processor. Ask any AW who worked it and they will agree.

I think the Aussies, Canadians and maybe still Egyptians still use it. The H-2 was my first choice if you can believe it and I don't regret it a bit. Met some really good guys while I was in. The guys I keep in touch with aren't flying anymore which is aprt of the reason I'm glad I am at my current job which is a f'in blast. I'm a lucky SOB.

Just got back from a flight in the MD-530F. We've got 2 of those, 3 MD-500D models, one E model and 2 Bell 205A1++ medium lift fire/rescue birds. Soon we will add the Bell 407.

OK, that is about as off topic as I can get. With that, if you guys have any other questions regarding me, feel free, shoot away. I know you've had your share of BS artists in here.

Lawman

None
Arent you one of if not the only department that still maintains a lethal force option from the Helo? I remember seeing shots of some San City in California Helo doing weapons certifications for the crew to use MP5's fired from the door.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Shooting from helo

Arent you one of if not the only department that still maintains a lethal force option from the Helo? I remember seeing shots of some San City in California Helo doing weapons certifications for the crew to use MP5's fired from the door.

We haven't trained in a while to shoot from the helicopter. Not to say we can't do it. Nobody in our unit routinely carries one of our AR-15s unless we are going to a qual shoot. That may change soon. San Bernardino County Sheriff definitely shoots from the air. I was at a motorcycle academy up there and they were making swiss cheese out of a hillside.

Lawman

None
We haven't trained in a while to shoot from the helicopter. Not to say we can't do it. Nobody in our unit routinely carries one of our AR-15s unless we are going to a qual shoot. That may change soon. San Bernardino County Sheriff definitely shoots from the air. I was at a motorcycle academy up there and they were making swiss cheese out of a hillside.

Neat hat trick but I cant seriously see any on scene Commander making that call. But hey if the department wants to spend their budget on gas and bullets to let the Air guys get their jollies shooting up a hill from a Loch I hope they remember that the next time it comes around to tell your city leadership you cant get a better responce time because you cant afford to put any more officers on the street.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Neat hat trick but I cant seriously see any on scene Commander making that call. But hey if the department wants to spend their budget on gas and bullets to let the Air guys get their jollies shooting up a hill from a Loch I hope they remember that the next time it comes around to tell your city leadership you cant get a better responce time because you cant afford to put any more officers on the street.

On scene commanders don't need to make those calls. We're deputy sheriff's. If I guy needs to be shot at, we'll shoot him without asking "Mother may I?" The countryside out here is pretty diverse. Ocean, urban city area, mountains and desert. Often times the helicopter crew may land to take law enforcement action or cover a rural deputy because his cover unit is 30-40 minutes driving time away. The same is true for San Bernardino County. Our county is 4200 square miles.

We have no problem with the city/county leadership realizing the value of the services we provide. The citizens see it and the deputies/officers on the ground see it. If we thought it was a waste of time, we wouldn't bother. I suppose San Bernardino County Air Support feels the same way but I'm not speaking for them.