• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Shoestring??

phrogpilot73

Go for the C-9 instead of the Citation. Much better for the civilian resume although both will work. The Citation is very stable when flying those pesky ILSes. You also don't have to worry too much about the multi-engine aero stuff as (if I remember right, it's been about 3 years) its Vmc is below stall. If fact, when I got my CE500 type, we did V1 cuts in the plane instead of the sim.

Whichever you fly, be sure to go to the local FSDO after your NATOPS check and get the type rating added to your civilian license. When you upgrade it to an ATP for that future airline gig, the type automatically upgrades with it.
Actually, the C-9 is a transition and you've got to do WAY more networking (read: on your knees...) than I want to do. The nice thing is that the training pipeline (at least at VMR-1) is: Flight Safety International, Mutli-Engine Add On, ATP, Type Certificate, than back to the squadron... I'll take the ribbing about the multi-colored Phrog - Everyone here knows that helo time and $0.50 will get you a coke!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid, you'd get points for that if I could give em to you. Awesome!

phrogpilot73

We are all exceptional in our own way. Life goes on Corky
I was saving this for my class on CAS, but I guess I'll break it out now. Apparently, there's a book about being a Cobra pilot:
7484784.gif

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was saving this for my class on CAS, but I guess I'll break it out now. Apparently, there's a book about being a Cobra pilot:
7484784.gif

That is where you Phrog guys go wrong CAS stand for Close Air Support, you know shooting bad guys and stuff. Not Close @ss Spectating.

I'm just trying to help since you are now the "duty expert" on CAS for your Battalion.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Actually, the C-9 is a transition and you've got to do WAY more networking (read: on your knees...) than I want to do. The nice thing is that the training pipeline (at least at VMR-1) is: Flight Safety International, Mutli-Engine Add On, ATP, Type Certificate, than back to the squadron... I'll take the ribbing about the multi-colored Phrog - Everyone here knows that helo time and $0.50 will get you a coke!
With that pipeline and at least a hundred or two hours in type, you would have no problem getting a corporate gig after the green machine spits you out. Especially since there are more than a few jobs out there looking for dual rated guys and few that meet this qual.

However, if airlines are what you want (and I think that starting in the next 4-5 years there will be hiring at most of the majors again), it might be worth taking a slurp or two for the C-9. Than you will have 2 types as well as transport category fixed-wing time. Just a thought....does it count if you spit quickly?????

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, since the Navy loves to play "what if's", I know the sim monkey's do, a PAR does you a hell of alot of good if you're NORDO. The only precision approach on your plate then is an ILS. Exacly shoo's point, why not add an ILS to a $33 million airframe, seems like a no brainer to me.

I was shocked to find the Prowler had an ILS, of course then I giggled when I saw the "runway" thingamabob is our course deviation indicator.
Well, we can play what-ifs all day long (if the sun explodes, pretty much everything is OBE, right?), but the bottom line is that these decisions are made way above our paygrades and they probably have a good reason, even if it's just to save money. That's where filing mins come in to play. BTW, you'll get used to the aforementioned "thingamabob."

P.S. I'll be up for thanksgiving weekend to ski. Make nice w/ RIF and you can come along. If you hate me here, just think of how much fun a 2 hour ride to Baker will be. ;)

Brett

phrogpilot73

That is where you Phrog guys go wrong CAS stand for Close Air Support, you know shooting bad guys and stuff. Not Close @ss Spectating.

I'm just trying to help since you are now the "duty expert" on CAS for your Battalion.
See, but you guys worry too much about shooting and sh!t... We always thought CAS stood for:

Constantly Abusing Slvts.... Hence the reason I get the deer in the headlights look when some platoon commander asks me about rockets and guns... Then suggest a night out in Wilmington ;) Shot over...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Phrog guys get a deer in the headlights look on any topic more involved than flying from point A to point B and landing. Hell half the high schoolers on this board can do that.

phrogpilot73

Phrog guys get a deer in the headlights look on any topic more involved than flying from point A to point B and landing. Hell half the high schoolers on this board can do that.
Yeah, but can they do it while simultaneously thinking about beer, and talking about chicks? That's what they teach us in WTI... ;)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Smack talk has come to an end. I have nothing but respect for the Phrogies, they do bring a sense of fun to an ACE ready room. Im off to bed now

phrogpilot73

ghost119 said:
The deer thing got me thinking. Has anyone ever attached a pair of horns to the nose of their helo? I would think that there was someone from Texas over in 'Nam who wished he still had his truck and desided to bolt em on there. Just wondering,
I've never seen it, nor have I seen the airframes change from NAVAIR... ;)

petescheu

If you're relying on an ILS approach to keep you from running out of gas, you're a bad aviator.

Brett

I believe I said that when you are in an emgcy situation and the weather is below non-precision mins for 50 miles and there isn't a Navy field close by, you're just gonna wing it?
I wouldnt tell the group of Marine Hornet pilots who almost all ran out of gas coming into the Azores from across the pond because they couldn't break out b/c weather was below mins that they are bad aviators. I bring it up only because losing a jet has almost happened before.