• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FEB AMDO, IW & SWO rolling boards

exNavyOffRec

Take it for what it's worth because I'm a civilian only hearing what my recruiter tells me, but I'm told that not only is FY14 full, but they've scaled back the quota for FY14 SWO's, pushing many that were already selected back to FY15. So if that's true, then if you're selected it will likely be for FY15, however that shouldn't make much of a difference to you as I'm told OCS classes for FY15 will start in the Summer. So don't worry about that. The selection rate for the past two SWO boards though has been very low, relatively speaking (~17% for the July board, 10% in December). That said, it looks like you've got a strong GPA and OAR, so I imagine your application will be competitive. I don't know how rolling boards work at all, so maybe someone else can help you out there.

To add to what you have said part of the equation is going to be how many were pushed, that will determine if they pick more SWO's now, or delay until later.

JamesL37

Take it for what it's worth because I'm a civilian only hearing what my recruiter tells me, but I'm told that not only is FY14 full, but they've scaled back the quota for FY14 SWO's, pushing many that were already selected back to FY15. So if that's true, then if you're selected it will likely be for FY15, however that shouldn't make much of a difference to you as I'm told OCS classes for FY15 will start in the Summer. So don't worry about that. The selection rate for the past two SWO boards though has been very low, relatively speaking (~17% for the July board, 10% in December). That said, it looks like you've got a strong GPA and OAR, so I imagine your application will be competitive. I don't know how rolling boards work at all, so maybe someone else can help you out there.

Does that mean people ProRec'd for SWO during October and December won't go to OCS until June? Dear Lord...

SaltyDawg85

Does that mean people ProRec'd for SWO during October and December won't go to OCS until June? Dear Lord...

I don't know if that's what it means. I have no idea what the determining factor was in who they pushed back and who they kept in for FY14. I was initially among those pushed back to FY15 and I was selected in the July 13 board. Could have been completely random.

JamesL37

I don't know if that's what it means. I have no idea what the determining factor was in who they pushed back and who they kept in for FY14. I was initially among those pushed back to FY15 and I was selected in the July 13 board. Could have been completely random.

This would be less painful if they just told me when I'm going even if it was a year away.

SaltyDawg85

This would be less painful if they just told me when I'm going even if it was a year away.

Hey man, imagine you were in my shoes. I've been pro-rec since 31 July, and still no FINSEL. And my 29th birthday is looming in August! But I feel your struggle, for sure.

SaltyDawg85

age critical people are usually given priority.

Yes sir, I believe once I brought my birthday to the attention of my OR (last week) it changed things considerably. I went from hearing nothing for months to finding out I had been pushed to FY15 then bumped back to FY14 and FINSEL generated within two days.

JamesL37

I have seen people wait for nearly 2 years to go to OCS for SWO after pro rec Y when they have become backed up

What would you recommend/have seen one do during the purgatory? That's the hardest part for me. I can't make any commitments to work, church, school, etc. and so I'm just living month to month with a part-time job.

SaltyDawg85

What would you recommend/have seen one do during the purgatory? That's the hardest part for me. I can't make any commitments to work, church, school, etc. and so I'm just living month to month with a part-time job.

It's like you're reading me my life story here, bro. Lol. It is a difficult situation. Especially because you have people asking you constantly - "when are you leaving?" Not having an answer for them is terribly frustrating. If I knew back in March of last year what I know now, I might not have told employers (potential or current) that I was leaving, because it just closes any doors you might have had opened to you. Nobody wants to hire someone for a full time job if they're planning on leaving for the Navy in six months. But I'm an honest person so it's hard for me to not disclose that. Also, try getting in a serious relationship with someone who knows you're leaving. Now there's a tough sell.

JamesL37

It's like you're reading me my life story here, bro. Lol. It is a difficult situation. Especially because you have people asking you constantly - "when are you leaving?" Not having an answer for them is terribly frustrating. If I knew back in March of last year what I know now, I might not have told employers (potential or current) that I was leaving, because it just closes any doors you might have had opened to you. Nobody wants to hire someone for a full time job if they're planning on leaving for the Navy in six months. But I'm an honest person so it's hard for me to not disclose that. Also, try getting in a serious relationship with someone who knows you're leaving. Now there's a tough sell.

Worst part is, when I first applied for OCS, my OR told me people go to OCS within few months of ProRec. At this point, my part-time job doesn't quite pay for my food and rent so it's been eating into my savings I've been planning to use to pay back my student loans. I really don't know how much longer I can hold up... Would telling this to my OR help out at all?

exNavyOffRec

spoken like a young person that hasn't been in the corporate world :), you would be surprised how many people start a job then jump to another when a better one opens up, I have known several personally that have started a job then had another company give them a better offer from previous interviews and they jump. If you are happy with part time work great, if not get something full time, you are under no duty to disclose you awaiting a letter to go to OCS, technically until that letter arrives you have no offer.

SaltyDawg85

Worst part is, when I first applied for OCS, my OR told me people go to OCS within few months of ProRec. At this point, my part-time job doesn't quite pay for my food and rent so it's been eating into my savings I've been planning to use to pay back my student loans. I really don't know how much longer I can hold up... Would telling this to my OR help out at all?

Doubtful, not because your OR wouldn't sympathize, but because he's not the one making the decision on when you go. My advice would be to seek a better job and just go about your business like you would if you weren't leaving, as NavyOffRec said. At the end of the day, anything can happen, right? If for some unthinkable reason you weren't able to commission, you wouldn't want to have wasted a year and a half of your life waiting on a job that you never got to start.

I only wish I had figured this out months ago and hadn't been piddling away in the part time (almost full time) job I've been piddling away in all this time and living back at home (I sold my nice car and bought a junker in addition to letting my lease expire after I was pro-rec'd)

JamesL37

Doubtful, not because your OR wouldn't sympathize, but because he's not the one making the decision on when you go. My advice would be to seek a better job and just go about your business like you would if you weren't leaving, as NavyOffRec said. At the end of the day, anything can happen, right? If for some unthinkable reason you weren't able to commission, you wouldn't want to have wasted a year and a half of your life waiting on a job that you never got to start.

spoken like a young person that hasn't been in the corporate world :), you would be surprised how many people start a job then jump to another when a better one opens up, I have known several personally that have started a job then had another company give them a better offer from previous interviews and they jump. If you are happy with part time work great, if not get something full time, you are under no duty to disclose you awaiting a letter to go to OCS, technically until that letter arrives you have no offer.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the current hardship will make me appreciate being a naval officer even more if/when I do become one.