• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
'VAPES has got it -- and Nittany has put up the link to what I was going to suggest you check out -- the vastly overly complex current version of the ACM FTI (at least they still call it 'FTI' ... I guess some things never change :)) ...

BUT: in 1000+ hours of ACM, not once did "we" use the "Trigger Down" terminology -- the word "snapshot" broadcast on the freq, yes -- but not accompanied by "trigger" .... must be a relatively recent development. But since I went to TG-Adversary skool over 25 years ago and had my last ACM hop @ 20 years ago :sleep_125... nothing's recent and anything's possible. :)

We'd never call a fight off as a result of a "snapshot" -- as it's a high-angles, high-aspect shot with high closure/crossing rate -- it was just a wishful head's up on someone's part and a "you might have just been shot" call on someone else's part ... as it involves a lot of luck and you'll never "know" whether it worked unless you carry REAL BB's in the bird -- which is frowned upon in training. :)

Even when we later carried the ACMI pods and lit up the big-board ranges @ Nellis & Tyndall a fight would never get knocked off as a result of a called or (later) tape documented "snap" ...

Of course, in "our" case ... we're talkin' iron sights and guns that go "BOOM-BOOM-BOOM" rather than "BUUZZZZZZZZZZ".

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I avoid "Trigger down snap" and am more commonly heard saying "Pippers on tracking" ;)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
What ever happened to "Guns, Guns, Guns....Die you gravy sucking dog!" ??

or..."that guy got 3rd degree pipper burns"??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I avoid "Trigger down snap" and am more commonly heard saying "Pippers on tracking" ;)
That was kinda' SOP in my day(s) when actually locked in the saddle in a guns solution ....

"TRACKING ... TRACKING ... TRACKING ... (usually required 3 times for 'cred') ... GUNS KILL"!!!:)

*edit* ... Let me back up a second: it was "Pipper's ON ... tracking ... tracking ... etc., etc. ... " If the target did a good defensive/last-ditch maneuver and "broke" your tracking solution -- you were required to call (honor system) "Pipper's OFF" ... followed by "Pipper's ON" if you reacquired a good shot/solution ...

Followed by a huge & hard pull-off left/right and a roll over the top of the recently departed "victim" ... :D

Followed
in the debrief by a liberal application of salve and liniment for the Blue force's pipper burns ... :D

Followed by a round of beers at the bar if you timed your last hop right ... :D

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I usually call "tracking" until I hear sobbing over the Tac freq.":cowboy_12

(unless I'm defensive, that would just be stupid...):D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I usually call "tracking" until I hear sobbing over the Tac freq.":cowboy_12
I love it when they cry ... :D

Or curse on the frequency after you "bounce/bump/thump" 'em and they didn't even see you comin' ... :)

And sometimes they just "wet" themselves. Don't believe me??? Just look at 'em on the ramp when they dismount and remove their helmets -- soaking wet -- and the wet head is dead. :D

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I used to just start laughing evily on TAC at "turning in fights on" when fighting other IPs...

Is it ok to saddle in on your skipper 2 turns post merge on his last flight in the squadron? He never calls me anymore...:icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is it ok to saddle in on your skipper 2 turns post merge on his last flight in the squadron? He never calls me anymore...:icon_tong
You know; I'm not sure how to read that ... as I waved the Admiral off for being LIG and HE never calls ME or sends a card on my birthday anymore ... :icon_cryi:sleep_125

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Last Ace....article

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200903/air-force

The article goes into Col Rodriguez's 3 kills and then on into some history and of course the need for the F-22. Kind of interesting in that the HUD tape was retrieved from a Mig-29 that showed an AIM-7 about to hit him in the face. Read a little blurb from an Indian magazine editor that said during the last Red Flag with the their SU-30, they held a 21:1 kill ratio over our fighters. I of course have no idea if true but good discussion......for those in the know newbies...warning.

Paddles

When fighting another IP...I always found it best to say nothing when you get a shot. They know they are being shot. Kind of like not spiking a football after you score a touchdown. It's best to act like you've been there before.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When fighting another IP...I always found it best to say nothing when you get a shot. They know they are being shot. Kind of like not spiking a football after you score a touchdown. It's best to act like you've been there before.
Soooooooooo ... how do you know when to call it off ??? If you don't "call it" ... call a "kill" ... they may try to press something when it's pointless to continue ... I'm not disagreeing w/ your gentleman-ness considerations ... just sayin' what it was like to do "it" for a job ...

It's about training and getting "better" ... lessons learned ... not egos.
At least that's the desired outcome ... :)

Although w/ Naval Aviators, there's always some degree of ego involved.