• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

Paddles

Soooooooooo ... how do you know when to call it off ??? If you don't "call it" ... call a "kill" ... they may try to press something when it's pointless to continue ... I'm not disagreeing w/ your gentleman-ness considerations ... just sayin' what it was like to do "it" for a job ...

It's about training and getting "better" ... lessons learned ... not egos.
At least that's the desired outcome ... :)

Although w/ Naval Aviators, there's always some degree of ego involved.

You may be reading too much into my comments.

I'm only saying b/t IPs and you usually call KIO about 2 seconds after his SA light has come back on and he realizes he's getting shot. If not, then you continue to shoot him:icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You may be reading too much into my comments.

I'm only saying b/t IPs and you usually call KIO about 2 seconds after his SA light has come back on and he realizes he's getting shot. If not, then you continue to shoot him:icon_tong
Probably ... like I said -- we were doin' it "as a job" ... you're doin' it for fun.

That's worlds apart.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Always call your shots and kills. One of the better ACM exchanges I've heard on tape: Shootee, after a long string of "Tracking calls" from the shooter, "Any ideas what I should do now?" Shooter, "Ya could try ejecting." Priceless. Thanks Baroo.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200903/air-force

The article goes into Col Rodriguez's 3 kills and then on into some history and of course the need for the F-22. Kind of interesting in that the HUD tape was retrieved from a Mig-29 that showed an AIM-7 about to hit him in the face. Read a little blurb from an Indian magazine editor that said during the last Red Flag with the their SU-30, they held a 21:1 kill ratio over our fighters. I of course have no idea if true but good discussion......for those in the know newbies...warning.

I want a copy of that picture.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Hmmm, the powers that be have been making a BIG push to sell the F-22 in the past few weeks. Cracking open the paper last week I see full page ads for the F-22, appealing to its economic and jobs impact. A few days later there is a big editorial talking up the F-22:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/06/AR2009020603513_2.html

Then this article. I am not thinking it is all a coincidence.

Speaking of which...on a recent visit to the Ft. Walton Beach/Eglin AFB area I've seen full blown billboards advertising the F-22 as the Sound of Freedom.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200903/air-force

The article goes into Col Rodriguez's 3 kills and then on into some history and of course the need for the F-22. Kind of interesting in that the HUD tape was retrieved from a Mig-29 that showed an AIM-7 about to hit him in the face. Read a little blurb from an Indian magazine editor that said during the last Red Flag with the their SU-30, they held a 21:1 kill ratio over our fighters. I of course have no idea if true but good discussion......for those in the know newbies...warning.

There is a problem with Rico's claim about that picture: the MiG-29 camera doesn't record forward through the combining glass. It records DOWN through the actual CRT that generates the HUD symbology.

A journalist friend of mine who has written numerous books on the F-15 (including one that details the history of all the F-15 kills), when I sent him the article, commented that the AIM-7 photo is supposedly from a drone that was shot down.

Not sure of the real story.

WRT the Red Flag story, that is total crap: The Flankers were part of the blue force! Unless, of course, the Indians are considering kills achieved on the Aggressors as victories against "our fighters".

They actually had a documentary of this actual engagement he is talking about on the history channel on a series of Dogfights. He goes through the whole dogfight and I think they might even have a clip of him shooting the plane.

Marco

Yea, 21:1 is crap. They were pounding mud on the Blue side, as per Hacker. Met a small group of their pilots. Good dudes, nice, personable, etc.