• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun Military vs Civilian pilot thread on another site.(AW/Baseops regulars weigh in)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I knew pilotben1986 would be back. I'm kind of at fault though, rubbing it in a bit.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew pilotben1986 would be back. I'm kind of at fault though, rubbing it in a bit.

He's a piece of work asking Hacker about senior officers to try to Threadjack the discussion away from him without addressing the issue at hand. Then he claims to be trying to calm down the argument while slamming HALpilot. At least he can predict the future...he knows he'll get slammed, but tries to make others look bad for trying to clue him into the big picture. He's got a huge chip on his shoulder about leaving USAFA and trying to say what he does now is more demanding. That makes him blind to the obvious. He ought to quit while he's behind; he isn't going to improve his street cred without shaking his attitude and admitting he was wrong (doubt his ego will let him).

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^I suspect that anyone who would squander a chance at USAFA or Boat School and lose his shot at Military flight skool would be bitter....it makes sense.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
He's a piece of work asking Hacker about senior officers to try to Threadjack the discussion away from him without addressing the issue at hand. Then he claims to be trying to calm down the argument while slamming HALpilot. At least he can predict the future...he knows he'll get slammed, but tries to make others look bad for trying to clue him into the big picture. He's got a huge chip on his shoulder about leaving USAFA and trying to say what he does now is more demanding. That makes him blind to the obvious. He ought to quit while he's behind; he isn't going to improve his street cred without shaking his attitude and admitting he was wrong (doubt his ego will let him).

The unfortunate thing..is there are a lot of these people out there. I've come into contact with these types playing sports and actually excelling at them. They didn't make it because it was "too political" or they just didn't have the right contacts. It never was because "Man, honestly, there were just people out there who were better players. I tried my best, but it just wasn't to be."

There is always a little truth to the political stuff, but I would think that comes into play the higher up you go (ie trying to become an Admiral). I believe to get "in" , a lot has to do with your ability and this guy just didn't have it for whatever reason and rationalized his way out of an uncomfortable situation. Nobody wants to think they aren't good enough.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I have run into quite a few of those folks over time....it's always the same thing, "yeah, I was gonna do that but xxxx" and it is always from the guys who didn't even make it in the front door, let alone log .10 in a red and white a/c. Their advice becomes increasingly funny when they presume that if they had just made it past that one obstacle, they would have gone all the way. I'm not even done with primary and have already seen a couple folks wash out.....and those people actually put some real effort into it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I wish he'd come over here and make a few posts......then he'll learn what "positive" really means....as in I'd positiviely stick my boot up his ass.....

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I wouldn't get in a pissing contest with a civvie and instrument flying...
Now how low and fast, easy argument to win...

However, you have to keep in mind that you can only tie the record for flying low.

The "I coulda' done that" crowd is always the most skeptical.

Just this weekend, I met a guy who told me,"You're a Marine, huh? I almost went to Marine boot camp..."

I'm thinking, "Wow, a recruiter called you...that puts you in the top 99% of high school seniors."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish he'd come over here and make a few posts......then he'll learn what "positive" really means....as in I'd positiviely stick my boot up his ass.....

I predict...sooner or later, he'll Google himself (like Al Gore) and then he'll go "Yikes, the chip has been knocked off my shoulder yet again!". Question is whether he'll register as "PILOT" Ben* or be a little more original.

*"PilotBen as a username is another clue how his ego has gotten the better of him

However, you have to keep in mind that you can only tie the record for flying low.

The "I coulda' done that" crowd is always the most skeptical.

Just this weekend, I met a guy who told me,"You're a Marine, huh? I almost went to Marine boot camp..."

I'm thinking, "Wow, a recruiter called you...that puts you in the top 99% of high school seniors."

A few ROTC guys and I went to a surplus store to get some cheap gear, where the cashier told us that although he wasn't ex-military but if he was he probably would've been a SEAL or in Air Force SpecOps.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I predict...sooner or later, he'll Google himself (like Al Gore) and then he'll go "Yikes, the chip has been knocked off my shoulder yet again!". Question is whether he'll register as "PILOT" Ben* or be a little more original.

*PilotBen as a username is another clue how his ego has gotten the better of him

Ben Dover would be apropros....

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
The unfortunate thing..is there are a lot of these people out there. I've come into contact with these types playing sports and actually excelling at them. They didn't make it because it was "too political" or they just didn't have the right contacts. It never was because "Man, honestly, there were just people out there who were better players. I tried my best, but it just wasn't to be."

If you don't have the strength of character to recognize when you're not good enough I don't think you've got any business being an officer in the military. I may tell all the girls I had to retire from hockey because of injuries, but I know the best I could hope for was a slot at a mid-level Division III school.

But what do I know, I am still just hoping to get into a commissioning program.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
If you don't have the strength of character to recognize when you're not good enough I don't think you've got any business being an officer in the military. I may tell all the girls I had to retire from hockey because of injuries, but I know the best I could hope for was a slot at a mid-level Division III school.

But what do I know, I am still just hoping to get into a commissioning program.

Bending the truth to get laid is different than bending the truth to help you sleep better at night.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I never played football but if I had I would have been the QB for Texas by now; I wouldn't have let Texas Tech end the dream.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
HD once threw a football over a quarter of a mile, and Pilotben landed an airplane 0/0 with the runway under water.