• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

BOCOD

I would say to not ever talk to Ed. I had bad experiences with him. Only call after selections are out and only if it is VERY important. You are better off logging into the website and checking that out every day. I did even after selection because I couldn't believe I actually got selected. But again, just log in and check your account daily because if you don't then you might miss out like what almost happened to me.

SkyBoundET2

I would say to not ever talk to Ed. I had bad experiences with him. Only call after selections are out and only if it is VERY important. You are better off logging into the website and checking that out every day. I did even after selection because I couldn't believe I actually got selected. But again, just log in and check your account daily because if you don't then you might miss out like what almost happened to me.

what almost happened to you?? i'm interested... :) i wasn't planning on calling him, really. Is emailing him that bad of an idea? assuming results are out, i have been selected, and i'd like a spot in BOOST? i'm telling you- i could use it. That's really the only reason i'd bother the man...

haubby

None
Contributor
Ed doesn't choose who goes to BOOST. The dean of academics for BOOST is the one who makes that determination. If you've been out of high school greater than 4 years or have no math under your belt, your chances are greater for being selected for BOOST but not guaranteed.

BOCOD

Almost all nukes will not go to BOOST. After selection I thought I was given an age waiver out to 31 because of what I was already told by guys in STA-21 that were 30 years old and going pilot (don't start anything about max age or anything like that, it has been discussed in other threads). I thought this because the website said I was granted an age waiver. I submitted a degree plan to Ed and he said I needed to make corrections to it in regards to the NROTC classes. After those changes were made I submitted it again. I was going for an engineering degree, that is why I needed the three years (also because The Citadel does not accept any credits of your SMART transcript that comes from military schools). I called him after emailing it to him and he said it looked good and I was good to go and would see orders soon. About two days before Christmas stand down I looked at the website and he posted a message saying my degree plan was no good and I was only getting two years for my degree. I called and asked why and got into the huge debate over max age. I had to hurry and get a degree plan together and eventually got one that worked. I am getting my degree in business administration in two years. I only had english 101 transfer in. I am taking around 23 credits a semester during fall and spring and 21 during the summer, but I will get it done on time. I got orders about two weeks before NSI started. I pretty much got my orders on Tuesday and transfered on Friday. So I really don't like Ed because he did't even have the courtesy to call or email me to tell me that I was only getting two years for my degree. I say don't call him because he won't call you. When I was talking to him he was also very rude and blamed me, but the way I see it, it was his fault because he could even call or email. Good thing I checked the website every day.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I am taking around 23 credits a semester during fall and spring and 21 during the summer, but I will get it done on time.

Wow!!! That sounds like a very heavy load. I can only imagine the stress that goes along with it. Hope you find time for the occasional beer, or 12. Good luck!

SkyBoundET2, I know you want to attend BOOST but doing so causes you to start school in the Fall instead of the Summer. We are both facing the issue of turning 27 during our school prior to the full 3 years allowed to complete degree is up. So starting in the Fall (if attended BOOST) will cause you, or us, to lose the Summer session where we could be taking a full load of classes. Just something to think about. We don't decide if we go to BOOST or not anyways and it doesn't sound like Ed does either. If you are going to try to have that included in your orders I wish you the best. I would prefer not to go just to allow longer for school but if my orders say I am going then I will make it work. Besides, from what others have said it sounds like BOOST is actually fun and exciting. Who knows, we might actually learn something. Ha!!

SkyBoundET2

So starting in the Fall (if attended BOOST) will cause you, or us, to lose the Summer session where we could be taking a full load of classes. Just something to think about. We don't decide if we go to BOOST or not anyways and it doesn't sound like Ed does either. If you are going to try to have that included in your orders I wish you the best. I would prefer not to go just to allow longer for school but if my orders say I am going then I will make it work.

I didn't consider having less time for the degree... That is a good point. While it would be nice to have a "refresher" which is what i've been lead to believe BOOST is, I've never had a problem learning in a classroom enviroment, so i don't think it would be necessary. Good lookin' out, man. :) Incidentally- did you notice my earlier post asking you if you happened to have written a STA-21 help guide called "The good, the bad, and the ugly", and and know an AT2(frocked) Biediger? The phrase from your personal statement you mentioned earlier in the thread is almost identical to a help guide i got from my friend's sister, who was stationed at Oceana.... Thought maybe you did some revisions...

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Incidentally- did you notice my earlier post asking you if you happened to have written a STA-21 help guide called "The good, the bad, and the ugly", and and know an AT2(frocked) Biediger? The phrase from your personal statement you mentioned earlier in the thread is almost identical to a help guide i got from my friend's sister, who was stationed at Oceana.... Thought maybe you did some revisions...

That name doesn't sound familiar but I do have a few help guides though. I got a couple from previous threads, previous selects, and one from an AT2 (I guess now he is an OC) that has been posting on this thread. The only one I have with a title is "STA-21 Instructions for a New Applicant". When I was still working on my package I would print anything and everything that mentioned STA-21, ASTB, CO endorsement, etc.. The search function on this website helped me tremendously. A lot of these guides probably have some of the same material in it, just different titles and formats that were put together by different people.

rbsbll09

STA-21 NFO Applicant
I am in AZAN, and the top ranked airman in my squadron, so i am trying to think on the positive side. I am wondering if anyone knows if the board was able to meet, or if they are having trouble becuase of the storms? also, does anyone know how long after results come out do you start Boost or NSI?

Good Luck to everyone!!!

0812GM

FY09 STA-21 NFO Select
Down here in Pensacola we haven't had any weather that would adversly affect anything. I am not exactally sure but I think that the earliest you can start is in FEB. Good luck!

rbsbll09

STA-21 NFO Applicant
Does any know if you HAVE to go to one of the schools you mentioned on your application data form?

SkyBoundET2

Does any know if you HAVE to go to one of the schools you mentioned on your application data form?

From what i've read, changing your decision about a school to attend is NOT one of the things that you must inform NETC about. You simply attend a different NROTC affiliated college.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor

You can go anywhere you like as long as you get the appropriate docs from the school to Ed prior to them requesting your orders. Even after that I think some people may have changed while we were up at NSI. But they obviously had to have pretty good reason at that point. Also I'm sure other people have already said but I didn't hear of anyone not going where they wanted. There's probably a few isolated stories out there but for the most part everyone seems to get what they wanted.

clay_79

On the STA-21 website under my package status it shows a single unit(1) required for college transcript. There is a zero next to it since I do not have prior college. My understanding was that prior college credit was a plus but not a requirement for the program. Any thoughts on this?