• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

44magnum

I have a dilemma here and hopefully someone might have some advice... I am applying for sta 21 to get a degree in history, and I want to go to UCSD. I already have my associates degree, and I want to keep taking classes. The problem is most schools only accept 69 transfer credits, and I already have 75. So if I get any more credits, some are going to go to waste. Since I am at sea duty, I don't think I would be able to start going to UCSD now, and I don't want to get stuck getting my degree from one of those generic navy college schools. I don't want to wait on getting picked up by the program, since I probably won't get picked up this year, and by next year I could be very close to having my degree. I feel like I'm wasting my time here not going to school, and I would atleast like to get calculus out of the way to increase my chances of getting picked up next year. I hope that's not too confusing, thanks for any input.

CTT1 D

ENS D
I have a dilemma here and hopefully someone might have some advice... I am applying for sta 21 to get a degree in history, and I want to go to UCSD. I already have my associates degree, and I want to keep taking classes. The problem is most schools only accept 69 transfer credits, and I already have 75. So if I get any more credits, some are going to go to waste. Since I am at sea duty, I don't think I would be able to start going to UCSD now, and I don't want to get stuck getting my degree from one of those generic navy college schools. I don't want to wait on getting picked up by the program, since I probably won't get picked up this year, and by next year I could be very close to having my degree. I feel like I'm wasting my time here not going to school, and I would atleast like to get calculus out of the way to increase my chances of getting picked up next year. I hope that's not too confusing, thanks for any input.

UC's have stringent policies in regards to who they allow to transfer in as well as which courses they accept. While you may have 75 credits under your belt, they may not give you credit for all of them. On their website is a tool which provides the list of accepted courses based on the college through which the credits were attained. If you happen to be short a few, you can go to any of the local community colleges or even Coastline CC.

Good luck

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Also, I'm 24 and will need all 3 years to get my degree, which means i'm starting to approach the age limitations. I won't have many other years to apply.

ET2 Awesome Swanson :icon_smil

ET2,

I am in the same situation as you. I am 23 now but by the end of NSI and start of school I will be 24 and will need all 3 years to finish my degree. Did you request an age waiver in your package to excede the 27 year mark? I did not so if selected this year I will only have 2 1/2 years to finish prior to turning 27. It is possible but requires a heavier load each semester to make up for losing one. My suggestion is making up a degree plan that has you finishing both before and after turning 27. So if your deadline is 27 then you have a way of achieving it. If the month-to-month waiver does kick in and cuts us a break then we will also have a degree plan that uses all 3 available years. So if selected this cycle you know you have a degree plan ready for whatever dates they give you to be done by.

Earlier in this thread some individuals have said the month-to-month waiver automatically kicks in and some have said you have to request it. Because of this it is probably a good idea to be prepared for both. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!!

SkyBoundET2

I though the instruction for this year stated the age limit as 28? I'll have to look again, and talk to my CC about the waivers kicking in automatically or not. Good advice, thanks. Also, i love your signature. Swanson is my married name, and when i changed it, complete strangers kept walking up to me and saying "Samsonite, i was WAY off!". I had no idea what they were talking about, and STILL haven't seen that movie. :D

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
selection board begins soon, I know I'm getting pretty impatient for results

etspike

Guess I should chime in too, since I have once question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

I have a pretty good handle on putting together my package, there are a couple of people in my command who have gone through STA and are letting me copy some of their application packages, putting together mock boards, etc.

But my big question was (of coarse) about corrective eye surgery for the pilot option. From what I can gather, PRK is waiverable, but I can't seem to find anything about LASIK or intraLASIK. I don't suppose you guys would know anything?

I'd love to fly if I'm able, but if that won't work out I'd still like to try and get a commision. Thanks guys, and I swear I used the search function; it just didn't return anything more recent than 2003.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Guess I should chime in too, since I have once question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

I have a pretty good handle on putting together my package, there are a couple of people in my command who have gone through STA and are letting me copy some of their application packages, putting together mock boards, etc.

But my big question was (of coarse) about corrective eye surgery for the pilot option. From what I can gather, PRK is waiverable, but I can't seem to find anything about LASIK or intraLASIK. I don't suppose you guys would know anything?

I'd love to fly if I'm able, but if that won't work out I'd still like to try and get a commision. Thanks guys, and I swear I used the search function; it just didn't return anything more recent than 2003.

Everything you ever wanted to know about waivers for eyes. http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi.../pdfs/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology 080624.pdf

Your particular question is addressed under 12.15

Hope that helps.