• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
On the STA-21 website under my package status it shows a single unit(1) required for college transcript. There is a zero next to it since I do not have prior college. My understanding was that prior college credit was a plus but not a requirement for the program. Any thoughts on this?

To answer your question, if you don't have any prior college, you don't have to provide transcripts. As you know, you will have to turn in an official SMART transcript to quantify the credit that you may be entitled to for your military experience.

Dude, yes it isn't a requirement to have prior college but it is VERY HIGHLY ENCOURAGED. As you know this is a very competitive program and you need to make your package competitive any way you can. I didn't get picked up until I completed an Associates Degree and had Senior standing. My advice is to take math now. Try to get Calc 1 over with as soon as possible.

clay_79

thanks for the reply. I put in for the spec ops option and have an age waiver already so waiting another year or two is almost out of the question for me. Do you know if the community managers sit on the board or is it just a representative of that community?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Hopefully the 3,231 just submitted their on-line applications and not packages or it may be a tough year for selection. :icon_long

Very interesting information. That is a really big number, makes me even more nervous for the results. Out of those 3,231 that did submit a package you have to take into consideration the ones that didn't have all the required documents. I don't know why but some people send in an incomplete application in which the selection board doesn't even consider. I'm not positive but I don't even think those incomplete packages make to the board for review.

If the storms can leave Florida alone for another few weeks then hopefully the results come out on time. I already have my fingers crossed, guess I better start with the toes.

rbsbll09

STA-21 NFO Applicant
those are really high numbers for the STA-21 program. More than likely those numbers only submitted their application not a package. in each of the previous years the results message has quoted about 750 packages, with only 525 eligible for board. so with 210 slots everybody has around a 40% chance of making it. you can tell if you were board eligible by looking at the package status tab on your application page.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Not sure how many of you that applied this year have SRB's headed your way come Oct 1 but be cautious on spending it until the results are out. Unless I read it wrong if selected we are not authorized any special pays such as a SRB so we will have to pay it back. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is how it goes. It would be nice if we could get this years but the rest of the payments are stopped. Any of the previous selects run into this? Do they wait until the results come out before paying everybody who has applied?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Found this on the Navy Reserves news clips

MENTORSHIP ... HELP GET TO 3,232:
FY09 STA-21 Application status: 5,018 have registered on the
STA-21 Web site; of those 3,231 who have submitted their applications

https://listserv.navyreserve.navy.mil/WA.exe?A2=ind0808&L=MPTE_ALL_HANDS&P=1928

Hopefully the 3,231 just submitted their on-line applications and not packages or it may be a tough year for selection. :icon_long

Nothing against any of you guys, but I'm happy to see this. I was getting frustrated continually seeing only 800 people with applications in. This is probably the best program available, and the information doesn't seem to be getting out to the Sailors. I know when I finally get back to the fleet it's something I'll definitely be recommending to someone interested in a commission.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
On the STA-21 website under my package status it shows a single unit(1) required for college transcript. There is a zero next to it since I do not have prior college. My understanding was that prior college credit was a plus but not a requirement for the program. Any thoughts on this?

Well, I would say that it pretty much is a requirement. There are plenty of good performers in the fleet that apply for this program, and apparently many more this year. You have to separate yourself from the others. College credits is one of the best ways to do it. The top guys from the fleet will receive glowing evals/recommendations from their chain of command, but the ones that go outside are the ones that are going to be getting selected.

SkyBoundET2

Not sure how many of you that applied this year have SRB's headed your way come Oct 1 but be cautious on spending it until the results are out. Unless I read it wrong if selected we are not authorized any special pays such as a SRB so we will have to pay it back. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think that is how it goes. It would be nice if we could get this years but the rest of the payments are stopped. Any of the previous selects run into this? Do they wait until the results come out before paying everybody who has applied?

from what i have gathered during lengthy conversations with my NCCS, if you reenlist just prior to or after submitting a commissioning package, they NC's arrange to suspend your SRB pending selection results. If you are selected, you will never receive the money, and therefore will not have to pay anything back. If you receive all monies prior to submitting your package between FY selection periods, the money is yours and you do not have to pay it back. I have a pretty high SRB coming if I don't get picked up this year, so I was very interested in this information. :D

AME1Tack

FY09 STA-21 Pilot Hopeful
Nothing against any of you guys, but I'm happy to see this. I was getting frustrated continually seeing only 800 people with applications in. This is probably the best program available, and the information doesn't seem to be getting out to the Sailors. I know when I finally get back to the fleet it's something I'll definitely be recommending to someone interested in a commission.

I am glad more folks are applying for STA-21, in my command I was the only one and that's pretty sad. I just wish more Sailors would apply the FY after I am selected (hopefully):D

haubby

None
Contributor
from what i have gathered during lengthy conversations with my NCCS, if you reenlist just prior to or after submitting a commissioning package, they NC's arrange to suspend your SRB pending selection results. If you are selected, you will never receive the money, and therefore will not have to pay anything back. If you receive all monies prior to submitting your package between FY selection periods, the money is yours and you do not have to pay it back. I have a pretty high SRB coming if I don't get picked up this year, so I was very interested in this information. :D

This actually affected a few people this year. If you reenlist after the day you submit your ONLINE application and selected for the program, you will not receive your SRB. If you have received it they will take it back.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
This actually affected a few people this year. If you reenlist after the day you submit your ONLINE application and selected for the program, you will not receive your SRB. If you have received it they will take it back.

So what if you reenlist prior to submitting the online application? I just want to make sure that if selected, regardless of when we did reenlist, that we should not receive any SRB.

AME1Tack:
I can't agree more with you about the Navy needing more people to take advantage of these types of programs... AFTER this year that is. Ha!! I was also the only one from my command to submit a package this year. "Number 1 of 1" looks good, right? Back to crossing my fingers and toes I guess.