• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

OscarMyers

None
Yeah, I am not sure how much Iowa State's Engineering School will accept. I am just trying to get my associates wrapped up right now.

PS, I am also an AE.

Embry riddle is our best bet. but the yearly tuition is 10,000 more then the STA21 program gives us. I have a buddy down there right now in the program.

OscarMyers

None
10,000 dollars more? Wow! Did he apply for grants/financial aide?

Not sure what he was doing, but when i said thats where i wanted to go there he said call me and we ll talk about your college options lol. so yeah that sucks.

Bill3753

its def. the 500 system with the two rear amps. i need to find out why its not puttin out sound im hopin to God its not a blown amp cause you have to use those specific amps for the mach system or change out the whole speaker/stereo system. im hoping its just some bad wiring i can fix in an evening. thanks for your help, sounds like you got a pretty nice ride, i just have the basic dual overhead cam cobra motor, no supercharger:( but ill check out that system tonight or sometime tomorrow

I really doubt it is a blown amp. I want to say they have fuses on the amps themselves. I would start there. Also, I have seen those Amps on eBay go fairly cheap from time to time. Just food for thought. Good luck.

cbaker

Embry Riddle is a private college. They want nearly $25,000 a year for their degree. That is why if I get in I am going to go to Iowa State.
I won't have to pay mare than $1,000 a year out of pocket and that is without grants or scholarships. I will suck up the 20+ hours a semester for that and the chance to be back home for a few years.

OscarMyers

None
Embry Riddle is a private college. They want nearly $25,000 a year for their degree. That is why if I get in I am going to go to Iowa State.
I won't have to pay mare than $1,000 a year out of pocket and that is without grants or scholarships. I will suck up the 20+ hours a semester for that and the chance to be back home for a few years.

Yeah thats something im contending with right now. Im already a student at embry riddle so i know all of my credits will transfer over, but is it worth the pain of student loans/grants or possibly tapping into the GI bill. I havent decided yet.

cbaker

Yeah thats something im contending with right now. Im already a student at embry riddle so i know all of my credits will transfer over, but is it worth the pain of student loans/grants or possibly tapping into the GI bill. I havent decided yet.

Bro,
You can't use the GI Bill while you are going to school under STA-21. You can only use Loans, Grants and Scholarships on top of the $10,000 from STA-21.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I have a question I've been pondering for a while. Do you think your EAOS affects the decision of the STA-21 board in your application? For example, someone who just re-enlisted for 6 years versus someone else getting ready to leave the military, would they choose the person getting out so they can retain them as an officer? Would they just assume the person who re-enlisted is going to apply again the next year and not worry about choosing them?

No. I reenlisted for six years in June '07, I was picked up in October '07.

We (Nuke students) have been told by pretty much every person who's offered a STA-21 brief in the past two years, not to expect much in the way of colleges accepting SMART credits. "The schools know about the nuke program, but they're (the 18 nuke option colleges) not going to give you much more than maybe your electives and some gen-eds. The "bigger" and more prominent the school, the less credits you can expect them to take." Has been by and large the response given at these command sponsored briefs both at power school and in prototype.

Instead, they recommend studying up on a CLEP test based on the stduy guides you can buy at book stores, and get credits that way. Because lets face it, multiple guess tests are a Nukes dream come true.

Nukes get a shit ton of credit at ODU for the Mechanical Engineering Technology degree with an emphasis on naval systems. Shit. Ton. The program is kinda set up for prior Nukes. Look into if if you plan on going to ODU.

OscarMyers

None
Bro,
You can't use the GI Bill while you are going to school under STA-21. You can only use Loans, Grants and Scholarships on top of the $10,000 from STA-21.
from the website

Q: Can I use Tuition Assistance or the Navy College Fund while participating in STA-21?
A: No, STA-21 students are not eligible for TA, or NCF while participating in STA-21. However, you do not lose the benefits. They can be used for higher education after commissioning. In addition, the VA has authorized the use of the benefits (Chapter 30 of Title 38) to pay for courses after the service member's STA-21 funds are exhausted, as long as payment is for different courses and not combined to pay for the same course (please call 1-888 GI Bill 1 for additional info).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
from the website

Q: Can I use Tuition Assistance or the Navy College Fund while participating in STA-21?
A: No, STA-21 students are not eligible for TA, or NCF while participating in STA-21. However, you do not lose the benefits. They can be used for higher education after commissioning. In addition, the VA has authorized the use of the benefits (Chapter 30 of Title 38) to pay for courses after the service member's STA-21 funds are exhausted, as long as payment is for different courses and not combined to pay for the same course (please call 1-888 GI Bill 1 for additional info).

A little additional info as well...

Subj: OFFICIAL MAIL MESSAGE #066-09 ABILITY OF SERVICE MEMBERS TO
SIMULTANEOUSLY USE TITLE 10 AND MGIB FUNDS FOR EDUCATIONAL COURSES
1. The purpose of this OPMIS is to pass on the legal opinion on a service
member's ability to use both Navy and Veterans Affairs (VA) educational
benefits at the same time, but only for different courses not covered by
military service educational funds.

2. The Navy's Seaman to Admiral 21 (STA-21) Program pays selected enlisted
service members up to $10,000 annually to attend college full time and earn
a degree, on the condition that they will then serve the Navy for an agreed
upon period of time. Unfortunately, this Navy scholarship is not always
sufficient to pay for all courses needed to fulfill degree requirements.
The question then arises as to whether the service member can use Montgomery
GI Bill (MGIB) benefits from the VA (Chapter 30 of Title 38) to pay for
courses after the service member's STA-21 funds are exhausted.
3. The VA's Office of the General Counsel (OGC) has answered this question
in the affirmative. It has issued a legal opinion authorizing use of both
types of funds so long as payment is for different courses and not combined
to pay for the same course. The VA concluded that while 38 U.S.C §
3681(a)(1) bars concurrent use of funds from both the MGIB and DoD programs
like STA-21 to pay for the same course, it does not bar concurrent payment
from both sources for different courses that are part of a program of
education.
4. Should units have any further questions concerning this or any other
matter concerning the coordination of benefits under our respective
organizations, feel free to contact NSTC Code OD4, specifically Major James
Stanley directly at (850) 452-4962 or e-mail james.l.stanley2@navy.mil.

/s/
C. J. STEIN
NROTC
Program Manager

cbaker

I stand corrected. When did that come out? The last thing I remember reading was that the member could NOT use any sort of GI Bill benifits.

ETCssWife

Take a minute

I know we are all on pins and needles waiting for the results, but I think it is important right now to stop and think about those who lost their lives today at Fort Hood, in Texas. Information is still forthcoming but at least 7 are dead and 20 wounded at 2 shootings.

For those of us whose families get to continue our lives in the military, be thankful, because today your brothers/sisters in armes lost their lives, not overseas, not because of the war, because of some crazy who opened fire on one of our bases.

Those who didn't make it, may god carry you to him, and those wounded may you get better soon, because there is a bigger plan for you.

Keep them in our minds, hearts, and prayers as we go about our days.
~ETCssWife