• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

OscarMyers

None
I stand corrected. When did that come out? The last thing I remember reading was that the member could NOT use any sort of GI Bill benifits.

Its all good brother, thats why we have this support group. No one person has the answer and if they think they do theyre a damn fool. Not sure when it came out, but i know what your talking about. I remember it when i was looking at the program a few years ago.

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
I just spoke to my admissions adviser on the status of my application. I applied back in July and USF received all the required docs shortly thereafter. My adviser said that if they accept more than 12 credits from my SMART (I have 15-18), then I am not eligible to be a Freshman applicant... and that I would need 30 credits to be a Transfer student.

She is going to research this issue further to hopefully allow me to get accepted, but it doesn't seem like this should apply for someone in the Navy doing STA-21.

What the hell??? Is anyone else running into an issue like this??

The latest email:

[FONT=&quot]Chris,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After chatting with you on the phone today, I made a number of phone calls.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I need to refer you to XXXXXXX – she supervises our Transfer Evaluation and Advising Teams. I spoke with her about your circumstances – you fall between our freshman and lower-level transfer requirements. If you were to take at least one class (online or other) at a regionally accredited institution like HCC and took advantage of the free tests through the military to CLEP (take a test to earn college credit equivalencies) to earn at least 30 credits, then we could consider you for admission for Sumer 2010. XXXXXX can explain this in more detail.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also spoke with XXXXXXX with the NROTC program here at USF – I think you have been in contact with her via email. She advised that, as an active duty student, you should talk to your “detailer”. Typically, active duty students like you are completing additional coursework through the Naval Science Institute in order to meet college admission requirements.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There is a good chance that we will not be able to make a decision before December since you do not meet our admission criteria (yet). However, XXXXXXX and I want to work with you to get on track. [/FONT]

Purell6

Ok, so I'm thinking worst case scenario: I don't get selected. I have scoured the web and I can't find the answer to a question I have about OCS. Can you graduate with a Bachelor's from an online institute and be accepted? When I came in enlisted my recruiters told me that online degrees couldn't be used for advancement purposes. That is the reason they gave me for me not being eligible to come in as an E-3. This doesn't make much sense to me since my Associates counts for points on the exam. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone knew this answer off hand.

Edub

I believe your degree just has to be from a regionally accredited school. Online or not, you can submit a package request for OCS. There is still no guarentee that you get picked up to go to OCS. I know a few people in the Navy that have dgrees but did not get selected to go to OCS based on whatever reason NETC had for not picking them up

Purell6

I believe your degree just has to be from a regionally accredited school. Online or not, you can submit a package request for OCS. There is still no guarentee that you get picked up to go to OCS. I know a few people in the Navy that have dgrees but did not get selected to go to OCS based on whatever reason NETC had for not picking them up

I understand that, I was just wondering if it was possible. Thanks for the insight.

I think that they are really planning on having the message out tomorrow, which is why they tookdown netfocus to update it in preparation.

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
Ok, so I'm thinking worst case scenario: I don't get selected. I have scoured the web and I can't find the answer to a question I have about OCS. Can you graduate with a Bachelor's from an online institute and be accepted? When I came in enlisted my recruiters told me that online degrees couldn't be used for advancement purposes. That is the reason they gave me for me not being eligible to come in as an E-3. This doesn't make much sense to me since my Associates counts for points on the exam. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone knew this answer off hand.

Dude, your good. I was prior enlisted, finished my degree while active through an online university and was accepted for OCS. I havent had any problems whatsoever for having an online degree. hope this relieves some worries.

Purell6

Dude, your good. I was prior enlisted, finished my degree while active through an online university and was accepted for OCS. I havent had any problems whatsoever for having an online degree. hope this relieves some worries.

That relieves a lot of worries, thanks. I have also heard that you can apply for OCS if you are close to your degree but haven't obtained it yet. Does anyone know how many credits shy you can be before applying?

ArkansasFlyBoy

None
That relieves a lot of worries, thanks. I have also heard that you can apply for OCS if you are close to your degree but haven't obtained it yet. Does anyone know how many credits shy you can be before applying?

not true, you need a degree to apply for OCS