• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

3rdtimer

This is my first ever post in this forum, but I have been viewing for quite some time now hoping for results. I am awaiting results, hoping every day they will post. I applied for the the NFO option, I am a first time applicant. I am currently on an IA tour in Iraq. Does anyone know how being IA will effect me if I'm selected, my orders have me here until June 2010. I'm sure if I end up on that list I will have a million other questions, I'm so glad my Chief turned me on to Airwarrior before I departed. Thanks.

If your selected and you get orders, your COC HAS to release you. First, you have to get orders though, and before that, you have to send STA21 your acceptance letters to NROTC affiliated schools, Degree Plans that say you can complete a degree in 36 months or less, Pre-Commissioning medical screening, HIV test, and page 13's for your selected option. Your doing it all long distance so I would get started now.

Where can this guy get a SNA/ Pre-com physical in Iraq? Anybody?

SWOwhat

FY10 STA-21 SWO Select
I have a friend who lives in Pensacola and I heard they got evacuated. He didn't leave however but I wonder if this will delay the message? After its signed in Millington by the VADM does it have to go back to Pensacola or is it done and in-process for post?

mikltk

FY10 STA-21 Applicant
I have a friend who lives in Pensacola and I heard they got evacuated. He didn't leave however but I wonder if this will delay the message? After its signed in Millington by the VADM does it have to go back to Pensacola or is it done and in-process for post?

Whoa, backup. Evacuated? Note to self: look that one up. Anyway, I don't see any reason it should have to Pensacola in the first place. Most of navy administration is up in VA.

SWOwhat

FY10 STA-21 SWO Select
no we are not evacuated. Rainy, supposed to get windy but not evacuated.

Good deal. Yeah he said he didnt leave but was told that they were to evacuate. Glad to hear it didnt happen though. But does anyone know the real chop chain on this message?

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
VAN,
thanks for the info though it's not what I want to hear. On a side note I'm getting the PRK either this month or early next but I don't know how long after I need to wait. The sergery will be done before I go to NSI though. Your thoughts....

Again, I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for you! I think I know the answer to this, and it may be silly for me to ask, but would you pass an SNA physical without PRK? I'm pretty sure your answer is no and if that is the case, my previous post would be applicable. If you can pass an SNA physical now (which would make me wonder why you were getting PRK) then you will be fine, just pass the SNA physical now and get a waiver after surgery/clearance from Optho. I'm not sure what will happen with your timeline for surgery. They may allow you to put your physical on hold until after your surgery and you get cleared, but that just didn't happen to the last person I knew to be in your situation. I truely hope that they allow you to keep your spot if you're selected. I don't really understand why they feel that someone is Officer material, select them for commission, and then take everything away because they won't PQ for a few extra months.

The main reason he was disqualified is because of being out of SNA standards. You are not guaranteed to receive PRK until you sign your informed consent. The opthal's wont know the shape of your eyes until the imagining is complete. So even though you are scheduled for examination, there's no gurantee you will receive PRK. Which is why you need to be SNA qualified prior to receiving PRK, in case you are not qualified for PRK/LASIK. However, if you are already SNA qualified as of this moment, you will have no problems with the waiver provided medical does their job. Good luck to you !

See statement above. If he's PQ for SNA, why does he need PRK? It doesn't matter if he's signed the consent forms already. Either he's PQ or NPQ. Like I said, the person I know was on the list for PRK, not an exam, and without PRK he was NPQ. His selection was given to an alternate because he was NPQ for the option he had been selected for at the time of his selection/SNA physical. In his case, they didn't care that he was on the list to get surgery.

BTW, I'm pretty sure "imagining" has no bearing on your vision requirements for PRK or SNA. (I know what you meant) ;)

RedRobin

Just to clarify something: We are allowed to apply to colleges other than the ones we initially put down on our application as long as they are nrotc affiliated colleges, right?

And does anyone know where to find "the list" of approved nrotc affiliated colleges?

wizard

oh hahaha, i totally did not even notice that typo!

oh another note, these results are taking too long. I've already started to put my C-school package together and looking to see what orders are available, 7 month window, starting to hurt if I wait it out any longer.

wizard

Just to clarify something: We are allowed to apply to colleges other than the ones we initially put down on our application as long as they are nrotc affiliated colleges, right?

And does anyone know where to find "the list" of approved nrotc affiliated colleges?

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/ the list can be found here. Any of these colleges or their cross town affliates. yes you can apply to ones other than the one you put down.

Bill3753

I got my acceptance letter to Ohio State today! I am really happy about it. I messed up in college before I joined the Navy, so I am a transfer student with a 1.83 GPA. I guess I wanted to give everyone hope with the college applications. Normally, Ohio State will not even look at a transfer student with under a 2.00 GPA.

SAYYRAH85

If your selected and you get orders, your COC HAS to release you. First, you have to get orders though, and before that, you have to send STA21 your acceptance letters to NROTC affiliated schools, Degree Plans that say you can complete a degree in 36 months or less, Pre-Commissioning medical screening, HIV test, and page 13's for your selected option. Your doing it all long distance so I would get started now.

Where can this guy get a SNA/ Pre-com physical in Iraq? Anybody?

He should have a medical there. Also, corpsman should be on IA there as well so they should know what he is talking about. If not then he should take the requirements of the physical with him. I am pretty sure every branch has a similar physical. I was the Centcom's IA cordinator in Tampa for a year and I know most places are so diverse that someone will be able to help him :) unless he's in the boonies of Iraq. ;)

RedRobin

I've never really done the college app, thing (joined the Navy so I wouldn't have to), so I was wondering if anyone knew a general time frame it typically takes to receive and acceptance (or rejection) letter from colleges?

Helobound

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I've never really done the college app, thing (joined the Navy so I wouldn't have to), so I was wondering if anyone knew a general time frame it typically takes to receive and acceptance (or rejection) letter from colleges?

It depends on where you apply.... University of Oklahoma told me to give them 12 weeks.... where as Iowa State had me accepted within one week.