• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

James_j7

FY15 STA-21 CORE Applicant
Does anyone know how critical this is for STA-21? Some Junior Officers here have informed me that they were required to achieve all the highest marks on thier appraisals when applying for OCS.

Im not sure if High markings from every Appraiser is important. The NAVADMINs that are released prior to the start of every STA-21 process does state the board focuses heavily on CO's Recommandation/Endorsement & Personal statement. However, if all the markings are not well on the CO's Recomandation, that may affect more then not having high markings from the appraisers only. Just my opinion (reading the tea leaves here)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know how critical this is for STA-21? Some Junior Officers here have informed me that they were required to achieve all the highest marks on their appraisals when applying for OCS.
FIFY
Of course it's critical for any E to O accession. Given the competition for slots in this super program, it's a must to be, or be close to the top performer in your unit. Further, appraisers and your CO would have to stress this in their recommendations.;)
*My opinion only...
BzB

go_navy

You also have to consider that those marks aren't nearly as important as what they write about you. Marking an 8 for communication which is what I got on one of my sheets is still considered an excellent. The comments however state what they really saw and that will hold more weight.

SuperDuper

FY14 STA-21 Applicant
FIFY
Of course it's critical for any E to O accession. Given the competition for slots in this super program, it's a must to be, or be close to the top performer in your unit. Further, appraisers and your CO would have to stress this in their recommendations.;)
*My opinion only...
BzB

Absolutely, sir. This is my first year applying, and all the shortcomings in my package are extremely blatant to me. I am certain that I will be able to compile a much better package next year, if required. The Leadership trait is the one I was mainly marked down in, due to a lack of citable examples of personal leadership. In an attempt to set myself up better for next year's STA-21 cycle, I have become considerably more fervent in my search for leadership positions at my current command. However this turns out, my STA-21 application has already made me a better Sailor and forced me to develop a clear focus on what I want out of my Naval career.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely, sir. This is my first year applying, and all the shortcomings in my package are extremely blatant to me. I am certain that I will be able to compile a much better package next year, if required. The Leadership trait is the one I was mainly marked down in, due to a lack of citable examples of personal leadership.
Inasmuch as you are stationed with the Army, as an E-5, your leadership opportunities are going to be limited. That is not a shortcoming per se, but a lack of leadership opportunity, and the board should consider that. What you consider a 'blatant shortcoming', may not be so considered by the board.
In an attempt to set myself up better for next year's STA-21 cycle, I have become considerably more fervent in my search for leadership positions at my current command.
Aside from your military duties, and depending on your free time availability: There are usually leadership opportunities locally i.e., Scout troop leader, camp counselorl tutoring/mentoring, all kinds of volunteer work/community service. Any of these (documented in your package), can help fill that void in leadership experience... while indicating initiative on your part.:)
Tutoring.jpg
However this turns out, my STA-21 application has already made me a better Sailor and forced me to develop a clear focus on what I want out of my Naval career.
Planning for an improved package for next FY is fine, but don't give up on this year yet, you may get a pleasant surprise!:)

Your attitude is outstanding, keep on grinding and good things will happen!:D
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)

James_j7

FY15 STA-21 CORE Applicant
Planning for an improved package for next FY is fine, but don't give up on this year yet, you may get a pleasant surprise!:)
BzB, prior ET2 (SS)

I do Agree with what you said. One could have high markings on his package, but what really makes those high markings valid is the supportive information behind it. Strong Evals, Leadership involvment, Volunteering, Education Markings, PFA perfromance, ect... these things makes the high markings stand out. Oustanding remarks alone should not be the factor that identifies an outstanding sailor, but it is package in a whole that gives value to the said remarks. And i believe the board understands this as well. Well atleast that is how I would evaluate a sailor's package.

Jeremy Springston

FY14 CEC Option
hahahaha ... Thats me ... I'm not applying for Pilot though. Wait ... is 25 still considered young thundercat status??

When you're pushing 34, anyone yet to reach 30 qualifies :)

Either Ocean or Civil with a focus in coastal and ocean

Seems like a degree in Civil Engineering opens a few more doors after the Navy than most others. I'm leaning toward MechE so I can do my advanced degree in Materials Engineering. How far along on your engineering curriculum are you?

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I have been really busy lately, so that would be why I haven't posted in a while. It is good to see new people contributing to this forum. That is what it is all about, sharing information and helping others. To everybody here who has contributed thus far and submitted their application, BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!

I ran into some complications with my current command. My package was submitted on time (JULY 1st!), but I do not feel that it was done properly. I submitted all of my stuff early, as in the beginning of May, but for some reason my command decided to wait until JULY 1st to do my CO's endorsement and write up. Not cool. Not cool at all. I know that this is the most important part, and really hope that the write up does not reflect that it was done in a last minute hurry.

I only have 4 classes left to graduate with Brandman. If my name isn't on the list in October, I'll be starting on my OCS application.

I am right there with you Longo.... I have roughly 8 classes left on my CS/CISS degree. This is it for my STA-21 chance. By the time the next application season comes around, I will be eligiblefor OCS.

I honestly feel that I have done all that I can to get a good package in this year, and should have a good shot at making it. However, it is really hard to get around the number of quotas versus number of qualified applicants. I am sure a lot of us feel this way. Well I guess we can all play the waiting game now. Its not that bad of a wait until October hits. At that point, most F5 keys can't keep up.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Good to see ya back popo ... I was starting to get worried about you ... thats really messed up that ur command didnt take more priority with your package seeing as how you were an alteenate last year ...