• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY16 IDC DCO Board (Jan 16)

If you applied, select the designator(s) you applied for

• 1805 METOC

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1815 IW

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 1825 IP

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 1835 INTEL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

IWC hopeful

C'mon IP!!!
Been following this thread for a while and like everyone else, anxious for results good or bad. I would anticipate not hearing anything until feb.1, but that's just my gut feeling.

This has been one heck of an experience. I feel like just making it to selection was tough enough. Hopefully they need some IPs.... :)

I'm also just going to relax and not call my recruiter before mid next week. It's probably best not to aggravate those trying to help you. I learned that a long time ago whIle on active duty.

IWC hopeful

C'mon IP!!!
I'm also a bit confused about the STEM requirements. I'm assuming that is asking if you had any of the areas of study while getting your degree. Of course theyou were in there or else you won't get a bachelors. I suppose some majors weigh more heavily than others? Like an idiot, I said I didn't have any in my interview, assuming they meant post graduate education. Might have shafted myself on that answer, but my motivational statement referenced a bachelor's in information sciences and technology. Oh well, suppose we will see how that pans out.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I'm also a bit confused about the STEM requirements. I'm assuming that is asking if you had any of the areas of study while getting your degree. Of course theyou were in there or else you won't get a bachelors. I suppose some majors weigh more heavily than others? Like an idiot, I said I didn't have any in my interview, assuming they meant post graduate education. Might have shafted myself on that answer, but my motivational statement referenced a bachelor's in information sciences and technology. Oh well, suppose we will see how that pans out.
Your information science & technology degree is STEM. It's the "T."

My $0.02: Take "STEM" with a grain of salt. If you are going for intel, a poli sci degree is (probably) going to be more useful than a degree in clinical biology, which is an "S." Unless maybe you deal in Counter-CBRN stuff in your civilian job. Or battlefield forensics/ biometrics.

Program authorization 108A for Navy intel specifically mentions poli sci and history as relevant degrees for officers.

P.S. More companies are now going with "STEAM" where the "A" is a liberal arts degree that requires some math/science/language, yet also teaches students how to read complex material, think critically, and write concisely.

IWC hopeful

C'mon IP!!!
Found out I got picked up for the Coast Guard's reserve direct commission program today for an intel officer billet. Always good to have a contingency plan! Nice safety net if the Navy doesn't come through with good news, and I don't have to sign any paperwork until March for the Coast Guard, so plenty of time for the Navy to come through and deny the Coast Guard commission if that's the case.

Congrats! That has to feel good.

MTRIO

Found out I got picked up for the Coast Guard's reserve direct commission program today for an intel officer billet. Always good to have a contingency plan! Nice safety net if the Navy doesn't come through with good news, and I don't have to sign any paperwork until March for the Coast Guard, so plenty of time for the Navy to come through and deny the Coast Guard commission if that's the case.

Congrats! Nice way to start off the year. Is that the rate you wanted? What's your background?

rjsj38

Found out I got picked up for the Coast Guard's reserve direct commission program today for an intel officer billet. Always good to have a contingency plan! Nice safety net if the Navy doesn't come through with good news, and I don't have to sign any paperwork until March for the Coast Guard, so plenty of time for the Navy to come through and deny the Coast Guard commission if that's the case. If I hopefully get selected by the Navy, then everyone wins because some unlucky fellow on the "alternates" list will get a call to take my Coast Guard dircom slot!

Congrats @rjsj38 !Awesome!! Great to hear such a good new in such intense moments. Would you mind sharing your background/Stats? I was also discussing earlier in this thread about DCO USCG for next year if I don't get chance in Navy. Do I have to have Intel background for USCG DCO reserve? Someone mentioned that they don't have IW/IP, only Intel DCO.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Found out I got picked up for the Coast Guard's reserve direct commission program today for an intel officer billet. Always good to have a contingency plan! Nice safety net if the Navy doesn't come through with good news, and I don't have to sign any paperwork until March for the Coast Guard, so plenty of time for the Navy to come through and deny the Coast Guard commission if that's the case. If I hopefully get selected by the Navy, then everyone wins because some unlucky fellow on the "alternates" list will get a call to take my Coast Guard dircom slot!
Congrats!

rjsj38

Congrats! Nice way to start off the year. Is that the rate you wanted? What's your background?

Thanks, it is. I'm prior service Navy enlisted (10 years) with post-graduate education in non-STEM field, fluent in Arabic, and previously worked for the Undersecretary of the Navy as a civilian.

Last edited:

Neil Helfand

Congratulations! I'm too old for the Coast Guard DCO but I checked it out previously and looks like a fantastic program!

rjsj38

Congrats @rjsj38 !Awesome!! Great to hear such a good new in such intense moments. Would you mind sharing your background/Stats? I was also discussing earlier in this thread about DCO USCG for next year if I don't get chance in Navy. Do I have to have Intel background for USCG DCO reserve? Someone mentioned that they don't have IW/IP, only Intel DCO.
OK -- I don't want to turn this into a Coast Guard thread -- i'd recommend http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aff/9.aspx for any Coast Guard commissioning discussions. But real quickly, I applied for the Coast Guard Select Reserve Direct Commission (SRDC) program, NOT the Direct Commission Intel Officer (DCIO) program. The main difference is that SRDC is reserves and DCIO is active duty ONLY, so DCIO is out. In SRDC, you apply to be a Coast Guard reserve officer and can basically fill ANY job in the Coast Guard. In your application, you submit your top 3 preferences for jobs (and by jobs, i'm talking actual vacant open billets in a unit at the time of the board that you will fill), and then after you're selected, a Coast Guard assignments officer will call you and offer you a specific job, and you can also negotiate another job if you don't like the one offered and you have a special skill that would justify the change. The Coast Guard runs the reserves a bit differently as there are no reserve units, you actually belong to an active duty unit as a reservist, so you will directly augment that active unit as a reservist, if you ever mobilize you will mobilize with that unit, etc. etc.. Further to this, a minimum requirement for applying for a Coast Guard direct commission is you must be a prior service E-5 with at least 5 years TIS. Something to consider if the Navy isn't succesful, but like the IDC, the Coast Guard only does SRDC boards once a year in December with an application deadline of October....which is great timing because it allows you to apply for both direct commissions at the same time. Also, the Coast Guard accepted my medical clearance from the Navy, so no need to do everything twice. If you have a CURRENT medical clearance from the Navy and you do not get picked up on this Navy board, the Coast Guard will accept your Navy medical clearance and recognizes it for two years. Makes the process super easy. Regardless, I hope this is all moot and the Navy PROREC's me!

Last edited:
OK -- I don't want to turn this into a Coast Guard thread -- i'd recommend http://www.uscg.org/Forum/aff/9.aspx for any Coast Guard commissioning discussions. But real quickly, I applied for the Coast Guard Select Reserve Direct Commission (SRDC) program, NOT the Direct Commission Intel Officer (DCIO) program. The main difference is that SRDC is reserves and DCIO is active duty ONLY, so DCIO is out. In SRDC, you apply to be a Coast Guard reserve officer and can basically fill ANY job in the Coast Guard. In your application, you submit your top 3 preferences for jobs (and by jobs, i'm talking actual vacant open billets in a unit at the time of the board that you will fill), and then after you're selected, a Coast Guard assignments officer will call you and offer you a specific job, and you can also negotiate another job if you don't like the one offered and you have a special skill that would justify the change. The Coast Guard runs the reserves a bit differently as there are no reserve units, you actually belong to an active duty unit as a reservist, so you will directly augment that active unit as a reservist, if you ever mobilize you will mobilize with that unit, etc. etc.. Further to this, a minimum requirement for applying for a Coast Guard direct commission is you must be a prior service E-5 with at least 5 years TIS. Something to consider if the Navy isn't succesful, but like the IDC, the Coast Guard only does SRDC boards once a year in December with an application deadline of October....which is great timing because it allows you to apply for both direct commissions at the same time. Also, the Coast Guard accepted my medical clearance from the Navy, so no need to do everything twice. If you have a CURRENT medical clearance from the Navy and you do not get picked up on this Navy board, the Coast Guard will accept your Navy medical clearance and recognizes it for two years. Makes the process super easy. Regardless, I hope this is all moot and the Navy PROREC's me!
Thank you for the detailed info. Appreciate it