• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY16 IDC DCO Board (Jan 16)

If you applied, select the designator(s) you applied for

• 1805 METOC

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1815 IW

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 1825 IP

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 1835 INTEL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

Northshore

aioc? Niobe? Ymmv?

Unfortunately not familiar with those acronyms?

YMMV: Your Mileage Might Vary
AIOC: Acceptable Initial Operating Capability or Assistant Officer In Charge
NIOBC: (Edit) previous poster typed NIOBE and it's NIOBC which is: Naval Intelligence Officer Basic Course

MTRIO

YMMV: Your Mileage Might Vary
AIOC: Acceptable Initial Operating Capability or Assistant Officer In Charge
NIOBC: (Edit) previous poster typed NIOBE and it's NIOBC which is: Naval Intelligence Officer Basic Course

Appreciate the info. Not sure if anyone is aware of this, but I did hear industry certifications are a big deal for IW/IP. IE: CISSP, CASP, CEH, Security plus, and etc.

Has anyone been told this?

Appreciate the info. Not sure if anyone is aware of this, but I did hear industry certifications are a big deal for IW/IP. IE: CISSP, CASP, CEH, Security plus, and etc.

Has anyone been told this?
Yes, I heard that too. I feel, they can compensate STEM in some cases. For instance, if you have, Bachelor/Masters in Military studies and those IT certificates. That means, you learnt those from your job and got training and certified. It enhances the package, not substitutes, I believe. On the other hand, a Comp Science/Electrical Engineering/STEM with same certificates will be more competitive. I think, the goal is to bring exceptional candidates with degrees/certificates/experiences/language skills.

Any thoughts on how important is foreign language skills? I feel like I submitted the best package possible or that is the best I could do for next year , I see no gaps. Should I focus on IT Certifications or a STEM/cybersecurity Masters degree/Foreign Language to make my package better for next year. In case, I don't hear the good news tomorrow:(

Northshore

@MTRIO @Fleet_saile
Here is my opinion from a non-prior IT guy that has held multiple hats from engineering to management for over 18years. To some degree this process is like applying for a civilian job. Although I'm certain you will agree we have higher stakes involved in regards to big Navy. However, what I believe the board is looking for is dynamic to what the Navy needs versus static descriptions on a billet. Similar to hiring in the civilian world I would hope that hiring managers look at the complete package and thoroughly consider if they believe if the candidate has the potential to excel. I haven't seen any reliable source out there that could tell a candidate the percentage weights for degrees, certifications, etc. If we knew we would all do the same and we probably wouldn't be discussing this. Hence, the push for diversity to augment what the Navy is looking for. I could be completely off my rocker but I'm open to discussion and how others view this. @NavyOffRec has the best experience and advice about this.

rjsj38

Any thoughts on how important is foreign language skills? I feel like I submitted the best package possible or that is the best I could do for next year , I see no gaps. Should I focus on IT Certifications or a STEM/cybersecurity Masters degree/Foreign Language to make my package better for next year. In case, I don't hear the good news tomorrow:(

Always good to have contingency plans. Keep in mind that unless you are fluent enough to pass a DLPT (2/2/1+) in a critical skills language (Arabic, Persian, Mandarin, etc.), then the foreign language won't be a factor in your package. Secondly, even if you can pass the DLPT in a critical language, it is still a minimal factor as enlisted Sailors are the ones who will actually use the language in the performance of their job, not officers unless you are an ALUSNA, which you likely won't be as a reservist, and even though there are reserve ALUSNA's, it is typically in a support capacity where you wouldn't use the language regardless. If you already have a language and can pass the DLPT, great. But if not, then its not worth wasting your time and you won't gain the proficiency necessary in such a short amount of time for a marginal improvement to your package.

Are you going to Intel/IW/IP? For IP, I would imagine certifications are certainly more important that foreign languages, particularly when they only pick 1 or 2 a year. For IW, you are supervising enlisted language speakers, so again, non-issue as you're not the speaker. And for intel, unless you're in the reserve attache unit, again, typically not a big deal -- you'll be doing plenty of english speaking in powerpoint.

Last edited:
Always good to have contingency plans. Keep in mind that unless you are fluent enough to pass a DLPT (2/2/1+) in a critical skills language (Arabic, Persian, Mandarin, etc.), then the foreign language won't be a factor in your package. Secondly, even if you can pass the DLPT in a critical language, it is still a minimal factor as enlisted Sailors are the ones who will actually use the language in the performance of their job, not officers unless you are an ALUSNA, which you likely won't be as a reservist, and even though there are reserve ALUSNA's, it is typically in a support capacity where you wouldn't use the language regardless. If you already have a language and can pass the DLPT, great. But if not, then its not worth wasting your time and you won't gain the proficiency necessary in such a short amount of time for a marginal improvement to your package.

Are you going to Intel/IW/IP? For IP, I would imagine certifications are certainly more important that foreign languages, particularly when they only pick 1 or 2 a year. For IW, you are supervising enlisted language speakers, so again, non-issue as you're not the speaker. And for intel, unless you're in the reserve attache unit, again, typically not a big deal -- you'll be doing plenty of english speaking in powerpoint.
I am going for all. I am thinking about CEH and some thing related to pen testing.

@MTRIO @Fleet_saile
Here is my opinion from a non-prior IT guy that has held multiple hats from engineering to management for over 18years. To some degree this process is like applying for a civilian job. Although I'm certain you will agree we have higher stakes involved in regards to big Navy. However, what I believe the board is looking for is dynamic to what the Navy needs versus static descriptions on a billet. Similar to hiring in the civilian world I would hope that hiring managers look at the complete package and thoroughly consider if they believe if the candidate has the potential to excel. I haven't seen any reliable source out there that could tell a candidate the percentage weights for degrees, certifications, etc. If we knew we would all do the same and we probably wouldn't be discussing this. Hence, the push for diversity to augment what the Navy is looking for. I could be completely off my rocker but I'm open to discussion and how others view this. @NavyOffRec has the best experience and advice about this.
I heard something about 60/40% (STEM/non STEM), however, I don't know how this will be measured. I think, most prior service are non engineering background in terms of degree but they are experienced in the field. According to my Army buddy, a non prior with IT/IW background in armed forces most probably don't have an engineering/applied math/applied physics /comp science degree. They usually have a business/IT/MIS/etc, which are easy to complete while serving.

exNavyOffRec

I heard something about 60/40% (STEM/non STEM), however, I don't know how this will be measured. I think, most prior service are non engineering background in terms of degree but they are experienced in the field. According to my Army buddy, a non prior with IT/IW background in armed forces most probably don't have an engineering/applied math/applied physics /comp science degree. They usually have a business/IT/MIS/etc, which are easy to complete while serving.

those percentages were discussed for OCS IDC programs

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Keep in mind that unless you are fluent enough to pass a DLPT (2/2/1+) in a critical skills language (Arabic, Persian, Mandarin, etc.), then the foreign language won't be a factor in your package.
The intel community program auth says DLPT 2/2/2. It doesn't specify languages, but I concur on yours (and would add Russian). Recent IDC DCO results don't mention foreign language except a passing reference to language degrees for 1815 officers.
I heard something about 60/40% (STEM/non STEM), however, I don't know how this will be measured.
those percentages were discussed for OCS IDC programs
"14.b. The DCNO for Info Dominance (now Info Warfare?) has directed a 60-40% hard science versus social science targeted accession mix of all new IDC (now IWC) accessions." I believe this applies to the Reserve Component, too, right? The DCO board seems to look at it.

bryanteagle6

Any lessons learned regarding missing this board. Any advice?
I didn't miss it on my account. I was in the march 2015 board. I resubmitted my package in the september 2015 board (that didnt happen). We were told that all of the packages would be pushed to the january board. My recruiter called me around november to tell me my package wont be in this board and we will start over and just submit a new package for the next board. I was pretty ticked - but whatever is best. That is when I shared my concern that the next board wont be until jan. 2017. His response was, "oh no, there will probably be one in the summer sometime." I countered that statement but he reconfirmed his thoughts on a summer board. I hope he was not just saying that to appease me - but I have no reason to believe he is that type of person/recruiter.
As far as learning - Id say every day that I don't send my package to the board.... the more and more cyber is an important factor in the process. I need to improve my contacts and maybe work on some more certifications. I am a unique non prior service pick for the intel community to gain diversity. I don't have all the cyber/computer background that many have.