• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY16 IDC DCO Board (Jan 16)

If you applied, select the designator(s) you applied for

• 1805 METOC

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1815 IW

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 1825 IP

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 1835 INTEL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

exNavyOffRec

To be honest, that sounds a little strange. Nothing against the USAF, but the idea that you would be differentiated by virtue of coming from another service over those who were Navy IT/intel enlisted folks seems like wishful thinking (particularly since it has been a long time since you were in the service). I get that in theory it would be good to diversify, but if you look through these boards, the overwhelming majority of selectees are those with signifiant USG and/or USN intel type experience. I wouldn't discount the degree to which your legal background and acumen on Latin America worked in your favor.

Also, do recruiters even see comments on why each individual was selected? My sense is that it was simply names on a list, not a thorough documentation of the pros/cons of each candidate.

just names on a list

amanda_okray

I want to confirm that I understand what was being communicated by my recruiter, even if it sounds incredibly obvious.

My name was listed under a section that said recommend selection for intel officer. Does this mean that I was selected? My recruiter seemed to be unsure, because it says recommend along with selection. My name was definitely not under the do not recommend section. I haven't personally seen the memo, which is why I'm a little confused.

Thanks!

unbroken

Naval officer
I want to confirm that I understand what was being communicated by my recruiter, even if it sounds incredibly obvious.

My name was listed under a section that said recommend selection for intel officer. Does this mean that I was selected? My recruiter seemed to be unsure, because it says recommend along with selection. My name was definitely not under the do not recommend section. I haven't personally seen the memo, which is why I'm a little confused.

Thanks!

Yes, you have been selected, you just need to formally sign the documentation. Strange that your recruiter didn't know the difference.

NavyHCC2011

I was honored to be selected for Navy Intel. Officer.

I tried to apply for DCO six years ago as a Supply Officer. At the time I was a non-prior service and the Supply O-6 that interviewed me said if I do not get supply think about enlisting. Well, I did not get picked up in 2010 and looking back that was the best rejection of my life. I decided to enlist in the navy reserve 2011. However, I had a plan to go DCO after I proved myself. To find out I got picked up this time was a dream come true.

I am not saying everyone non-prior should go enlisted. But is something to think about. I enjoyed serving my country and I embraced my enlisted time. I will miss my enlisted life and will cherish it the most.

BIO:
BS in Business and worked in banking (non-leadership role) as a civilian before my reserve enlistment.
Currently working on my MBA and still working in banking.

Navy reserve career currently an E-5:
15 month active duty orders at a three letter agency as a Deputy Operations Chief (over 25 Civilian/military personnel):
· Awarded Joint Service Commendation Medal

18 month active duty forward deployed in combat situations as a Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge and training manager.
· Awarded 5 Air Combat Medals
· Awarded second Joint Service Commendation Medal

Picked up three Navy Warfare pins

For my DCO pkg:
Interviewed by three O-6s and all 10s
6 LORs, all from various senior military officers, government and enlisted. (Air force, Navy, civilian and a Command Master Chief).
IDCOIC gave highest recommendation.

Already being enlisted helped me establish the right network and people wanted to help me become an officer. My O-6 interviews were arranged by a particular person in the navy who is the most outstanding sailor I have ever come across.

So I say for those of you who did not make it, keep trying and have a plan for the future. If you chose not to enlist, continue to work with the right people who are in the Navy that can help you put together a great package.

Best of luck to you all and see you all in the fleet!

IWC hopeful

C'mon IP!!!
I was honored to be selected for Navy Intel. Officer.

I tried to apply for DCO six years ago as a Supply Officer. At the time I was a non-prior service and the Supply O-6 that interviewed me said if I do not get supply think about enlisting. Well, I did not get picked up in 2010 and looking back that was the best rejection of my life. I decided to enlist in the navy reserve 2011. However, I had a plan to go DCO after I proved myself. To find out I got picked up this time was a dream come true.

I am not saying everyone non-prior should go enlisted. But is something to think about. I enjoyed serving my country and I embraced my enlisted time. I will miss my enlisted life and will cherish it the most.

BIO:
BS in Business and worked in banking (non-leadership role) as a civilian before my reserve enlistment.
Currently working on my MBA and still working in banking.

Navy reserve career currently an E-5:
15 month active duty orders at a three letter agency as a Deputy Operations Chief (over 25 Civilian/military personnel):
· Awarded Joint Service Commendation Medal

18 month active duty forward deployed in combat situations as a Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge and training manager.
· Awarded 5 Air Combat Medals
· Awarded second Joint Service Commendation Medal

Picked up three Navy Warfare pins

For my DCO pkg:
Interviewed by three O-6s and all 10s
6 LORs, all from various senior military officers, government and enlisted. (Air force, Navy, civilian and a Command Master Chief).
IDCOIC gave highest recommendation.

Already being enlisted helped me establish the right network and people wanted to help me become an officer. My O-6 interviews were arranged by a particular person in the navy who is the most outstanding sailor I have ever come across.

So I say for those of you who did not make it, keep trying and have a plan for the future. If you chose not to enlist, continue to work with the right people who are in the Navy that can help you put together a great package.

Best of luck to you all and see you all in the fleet!
Congrats. Sounds like you have earned it. :)
I will be going enlisted if this selection doesn't work out for me and following suit. I'm 39 now and with prior active duty, I only have several months before that isn't an option.
Cmon IP selection!!

Last edited:

NavyPO1

Congrats. Sounds like you have earned it. :)
I will be going enlisted if this selection doesn't work out for me and following suit. I'm 39 now and with prior active duty, I only have several months before that isn't an option.
Cmon IP selection!!
IWC,

Did you only apply for IP?

IWC hopeful

C'mon IP!!!
Yes,
I didn't know you could apply for more than one designator.

I did read in These forums that the board may recommend someone for a better fit role as they are working with a best fit directive. However, with the number of applicants and thier time constraints, I'm not betting on that happening. Many lessons learned during this evolution.

I still don't know my results yet so I may have made it.....

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Prior service Air Force E-4 from many years ago. After leaving the Air Force I used the GI Bill to goto law school and i'm now a lawyer at a law firm in Florida working international law cases in Latin America. Got 10s on the interview, 100% oic endorsement letter. Glad I got in on this board because I was just a year out from the age limit. From what my recruiter told me, lots of qualified people were on this board (way more qualified than I am), but it was my 4 years of prior service as an Air Force enlisted man that differentiated me from the pack.

You're 31, max age limit is 42. Something doesn't sound right here...

NavyPO1

Yes,
I didn't know you could apply for more than one.

I did read in These forums that the board may recommend someone for a better fit role as they are working with a best fit directive. However, with the number of applicants and thier time constraints, I'm not betting on that happening. Many lessons learned during this evolution.

I still don't know my results yet so I may have made it.....
I dont remember applying for all three being a separate package other than just telling the recruiter and interview boards that you are interested in all three with 1) IP 2) IW 3) Intel.
They picked up Five IPs this cycle. 1 of them is me and another who did the interview boards same time I did at Andrews AFB

IWC hopeful

C'mon IP!!!
I dont remember applying for all three being a separate package other than just telling the recruiter and interview boards that you are interested in all three with 1) IP 2) IW 3) Intel.
They picked up Five IPs this cycle. 1 of them is me and another who did the interview boards same time I did at Andrews AFB

I remeber reading that so there are still 3 unknowns. Positive thoughts! :)