• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY20 Oct. 28, 2019 SNA/NFO Board

cinnamon

Damn I’m 150 @ 66... now I feel fat! ? maybe THATS why I can’t do more sit-ups...that’s it! I’m not weightlifting no more! What all this muscle for anyways if it won’t get me through OCS ?

njrecc

I used to be more of a powerlifter, weighed in at a solid 250 at 70" and could squat 455 and deadlift 500. Down to 230 now and doing crossfit now and can't lift nearly as much (which I'm fine with because it wasn't functional strength) and now I'm down to running a 9 minute mile and working on continuing to bring that down. Thankfully my board isn't until the end of January, so I still have time to run.

cinnamon

I used to be more of a powerlifter, weighed in at a solid 250 at 70" and could squat 455 and deadlift 500. Down to 230 now and doing crossfit now and can't lift nearly as much (which I'm fine with because it wasn't functional strength) and now I'm down to running a 9 minute mile and working on continuing to bring that down. Thankfully my board isn't until the end of January, so I still have time to run.
You have any workout plans? Or websites? I’m seriously rethinking this whole bodybuilding type training I’ve been doing ?

njrecc

View attachment 23624
You have any workout plans? Or websites? I’m seriously rethinking this whole bodybuilding type training I’ve been doing ?
Honesty CrossFit is legit for so many reasons. It has a terrible reputation but that’s from bad coaches, kipping pull-ups, and people posting like crazy on social about their workouts.
  1. in 1 hour you will get your ass kicked everyday. Most people simply don’t have the will to actually push themselves so hard everyday, I know I don’t. It sucks but it works.
  2. camaraderie. Make friends and it becomes fun. At my gym everyone is really friendly and it’s competitive but supportive.
  3. build functional strength and cardio simultaneously
  4. you can forget some of the bullshit and no one cares, like kipping pull-ups, I only do strict pull-ups.
  5. good coaches are more than happy to modify your workouts to avoid problem areas or injuries. I have a shoulder problem on my left shoulder and my coaches know that so are super cool about changing up my lifts to avoid further injury. Bad coaches are what give CrossFit a bad name. Don’t do anything that’s gonna hurt you.

For my powerlifting my favorite program was smolov. I added 90lbs to my squat in only 5 weeks, which is just insane. The bad part of all that was I couldn’t run or do any thing like that. Once i realized I was losing my breath from walking up a flight of stairs i knew my strength training wasn’t improving my life’s goals at all. At that time I probably ran a 12-13 minute mile.

dontskiplegs

I like circuit training, I just didnt like crossfit when I tried it because I was being told to do lifts that are normally only done for a few reps in massive quantities. Trying to keep good form when put in a super competitive environment for time when doing big compound movements just sounded like a recipe for injury.

cinnamon

Honesty CrossFit is legit for so many reasons. It has a terrible reputation but that’s from bad coaches, kipping pull-ups, and people posting like crazy on social about their workouts.
  1. in 1 hour you will get your ass kicked everyday. Most people simply don’t have the will to actually push themselves so hard everyday, I know I don’t. It sucks but it works.
  2. camaraderie. Make friends and it becomes fun. At my gym everyone is really friendly and it’s competitive but supportive.
  3. build functional strength and cardio simultaneously
  4. you can forget some of the bullshit and no one cares, like kipping pull-ups, I only do strict pull-ups.
  5. good coaches are more than happy to modify your workouts to avoid problem areas or injuries. I have a shoulder problem on my left shoulder and my coaches know that so are super cool about changing up my lifts to avoid further injury. Bad coaches are what give CrossFit a bad name. Don’t do anything that’s gonna hurt you.
For my powerlifting my favorite program was smolov. I added 90lbs to my squat in only 5 weeks, which is just insane. The bad part of all that was I couldn’t run or do any thing like that. Once i realized I was losing my breath from walking up a flight of stairs i knew my strength training wasn’t improving my life’s goals at all. At that time I probably ran a 12-13 minute mile.

I’ve been curious to try it!! So I’m going to go for it

njrecc

I like circuit training, I just didnt like crossfit when I tried it because I was being told to do lifts that are normally only done for a few reps in massive quantities. Trying to keep good form when put in a super competitive environment for time when doing big compound movements just sounded like a recipe for injury.
Truth, I agree on that. It’s a matter of knowing your limits and just not trying to go overboard with some of those high rep compound movements. I modify nearly every workout now to prevent injury and the coaches support me. But I have great coaches who insist on proper form and injury prevention. Many places don’t have coaches that are that good, which is really a travesty for the reputation of the brand.

njrecc

I’ve been curious to try it!! So I’m going to go for it
Go for it. Most boxes offer a week free trial period. At least go check it out and try to get a feel for the coaching quality. Trial may not be the best because you don’t know anyone. Once you build friendships it gets better

bigbird

Biggest Bird
Do you think I should stop playing competitive hockey if I get selected to avoid injury? I have never been injured severely from playing before but knowing my luck I’ll get selected and something will happen...

swmonroe88

pilot
Do you think I should stop playing competitive hockey if I get selected to avoid injury? I have never been injured severely from playing before but knowing my luck I’ll get selected and something will happen...

I've been asking the same question for the past couple months... I haven't been able to bring myself to not skate, though. I try to take it easy and not go into the corners with guys twice my size, but honestly I know keeping playing is kind of risky.

KristenQT

Damn I’m 150 @ 66... now I feel fat! ? maybe THATS why I can’t do more sit-ups...that’s it! I’m not weightlifting no more! What all this muscle for anyways if it won’t get me through OCS ?
150 is far from fat! If you make it and we’re in the same class I’ll definitely pair up with you on the partner carry ? also now I feel small 127 at 65. Need to bulk up like the hulk.23626