• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hell Hath No Fury...

What Do We Call Her

• Shocker

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Lynx

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phoenix

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Fury (Now with Permutations!)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Kestrel

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Lightning II (Now With More Death)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Spitfire II (Now were Reaching)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Black Mamba

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Piasa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Durka Duster

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • WHO CARES?

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
NO, no, no, that would be TOO imperialistic, the terrorists would know we were coming for thier assese

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Birdman1 said:
I think the name Achilles wouldn't be bad. Like the F-35 Achilles

That sounds like a brand of condom.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Ever see that poster hanging on the wall of every fleet maintenance shop in aviation with the ring finger "degloved" and the old finger laying next to it? A new guy in the squadron down the street did that to his ring finger while doing his annual egress drill (in front of the ASO, ironically) and lost his finger. New callsign?

"Shocker"

Two in the pink, one in the stink.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Birdman1 said:
I think the name Achilles wouldn't be bad. Like the F-35 Achilles
Don't think so .... Achilles had a weak spot ... plus, I heard he was a real heel.

achilles-tendon.jpg

UMichfly

pilot
None
Harrier Dude said:
Ever see that poster hanging on the wall of every fleet maintenance shop in aviation with the ring finger "degloved" and the old finger laying next to it? QUOTE]

For anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to hang out in a maintenance shop...

hand.jpg

Freakin' OUCH.

MasterBates

I love that pic. I showed my wife that 2 days before we got married while I was SDO (or whatever it was called) at HT-8. Have not had to wear it in 4 years, unless I put it on. Usually stays on my dogtags.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
If you really want the F-35's name to strike fear into the hearts of the enemy you are going to have to go old school.

The F-35 Duke
john-wayne-green-beret-sm.jpg

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I understand we're mostly all joking here, but honestly, what makes us think people "fear" our aircraft from their names? I mean, if a terrorist heard a F/A-18 Hornet, or a F/A-18 Candy-A$$-Pansy-B!tch was coming, do you think his thoughts would change too much either way? Would he (the average terrorist) even be able to identify which aircraft is which? How about by name? Do they even know any of our aircraft's names?

What about if we were fighting (insert western European country name here)... would any of you go into battle differently knowing you were about to go up against a Eurofighter Weak Duckling as opposed to a Eurofighter Typhoon?

[/rant]

And like I said, I know we are all mostly joking here, but I've been reading different editorials and hearing people saying the name "should strike fear into the heart of our enemy." When it comes down to it, we just want it to sound cool, right? And cool in the military is bad@$$, generally... right?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm gonna piggyback off of Dan right quick here...

From what i understand, your average Joe Schmucatelli bad guy doesn't give a rat's patootie what we call an airplane or any other piece of equipment... After having one bad experience at the business end of a weapons system, they often make up their own nickname for it... and its often more fear-inspiring than anything we can come up with...

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
M7Stanley said:
I think Lightning II is more fitting than fury. I don't like Spitfire II though. What about Mustang II? If my history serves me right, the Mustang was the immediate precursor to jets, while the F-35 will most likely be the immediate precursor to only unmanned planes.

I'd have to vote nay on the Mustang II because of the terrible memories associated with these:

1975%20Ford%20Mustang-II%20Models%20art_jpg.jpg