• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAN/FEB/MAR 2014 Rolling SNA and SNFO Boards

akjim101

From what I gather; 1 week from Feb 10 to submit apps and organize, 1 week from Feb 18 to organize, 1 week from Feb 24 to review and decide, and 1 week from March 3 to send out results.

Sounds good. So submitting mine on Friday I should be good for this up coming board.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
So bottom line, what day does my application need to be signed and turned in?

I would get it n ASAP, as in by Friday.

Also, I asked my OR if there was a board this month. Here's his response.
You are correct I don’t know what day it will start but it will be soon and your kit is at this board!! I will keep you posted as soon as I hear anything new!

cmd44

Pro-Rec Y SNA/NFO 3/6/14
You've been around here long enough to know that your package numbers, and content are solid... very competitive. Stay fit, PQ, and free of legal issues, and you'll be fine. No need to mention "No flight experience", as it makes no difference, and is not a requirement. I mention this because, in the past a number of SNA applicants have shelled out sometimes thousands of $$$ getting PPL/various ratings, thinking it gives a big edge in aviation selection... it doesn't really. The Navy likes to teach "flight virgins" the Navy way, and they have turned out many thousands (>50,000) of the worlds finest aviators over the last century! IMHO, some may disagree. Good luck with your application.:)

BzB

I understand the idea that not having any flight experience doesn't make a difference, but do you think that having quite a bit of experience is something they consider? The way I see it, with me having 1000 hrs and jet time, the board would be pretty confident I would excel in flight training etc.. Or am I just trying to make myself feel better? Lol

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
I understand the idea that not having any flight experience doesn't make a difference, but do you think that having quite a bit of experience is something they consider? The way I see it, with me having 1000 hrs and jet time, the board would be pretty confident I would excel in flight training etc.. Or am I just trying to make myself feel better? Lol

Several IPs have told me that folks with a lot of prior time - I have heard the "regional airline types" stereotype specifically mentioned more than once - do not like unlearning old habits or relearning things "the Navy way".

Of course a SNA friend down in Pensacola now said that "guys with prior flight time seem to have a better chance at selecting jets" so take that for whatever it is worth..

I would get it n ASAP, as in by Friday.
Also, I asked my OR if there was a board this month.

I was told today that 24 Feb is when a SNA/ SNFO board is expected to be held, results released in early March.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don' know the mind of individual board members, but it won't ever hurt to put it in there. You'll get to skip IFS, and that will save you waiting in an IFS pool, getting into API sooner.

The important thing is to be modest with your classmates, and don't boast incessantly as to your PPL, TT, tickets/jet time, etc.. A few have bragged a lot, and they come across as "that guy". Your status/stats as a Pilot is a great achievement, and you will do well in the program. Wotk hard, learn & know your aircraft, and (Navy way) procedures, and let your FLIGHT GRADES do the talking for you!;)
BzB

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I get that a lot of us are stressing about getting the front seat but if the board deems us not suitable for pilot and we have nfo as our second designation are we then equally evaluated for nfo? I haven't seen any sna/snfo applicants come back and say they missed out on pilot but got nfo pro y, just people with nfo as their first designation.

I assume that you still have a shot at nfo...

David0619

I think it totally depends on how you made it look in your essay. I have a commercial and add ons and just briefly mentioned my flight time. I focused on wanting to be an officer, service, and leadership.

Notorious Nate

One of the common things that people I had put in who failed flight school was that most came in with flight experience, now that is just my experience.

I attend a civilian Part 141 flight school, and our graduates seem to do quite well in the Navy and Marines.

I think it really depends on the quality of your previous flight training. Even at our civilian flight school we get people who have previously been flight instructing with a random flight instructor from whatever FBO, and a lot of them pick up bad habits. Plenty of them drop out, and there's a big difference in the training. I could see a lot of people potentially doing poorly in Naval flight training if they've picked up bad flying habits.

I've talked with a guy from our school who now flies Prowlers in the Marines and he basically said not to advertise your previous flight training and just let your performance do the talking.