• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAN/FEB/MAR 2014 Rolling SNA and SNFO Boards

Kees

SNA Select
I might be able to understand slow to get back to you if he is busy with other duties, but you should be able to get a straight answer, why would you think he would string you along?

I, too, could understand being slow if he is busy with other duties and have absolutely no issues if that is the case.

My sister was in recruiting for the ANG for a while--different animal completely--and she said she has witnessed applicants with less that stellar kits be strung along so their recruiter could persuade them to pursue a different billet needing filled. In my case, I believe I have a well-rounded (not strong) kit, but my ASTB scores are below average (45/5/6/6), required a three waivers, and have a three tattoos.

However, I also have 7.5 years of honorable prior service with no performance or disciplinary issues, an Aeronautics degree with a 3.8 GPA, interview score of 10, a strong motivational statement and solid references/volunteer time. I'm just not certain my pros outweigh my cons and am not getting any feedback about it.

When I ask about the status of my kit or whether or not it has been submitted, I get an "I don't know" and "The only way to know if it has been submitted is when you get a Pro-rec Y/N letter." I would think a recruiter would have access to this information, but I could be wrong, which is why I am here.

My recruiter is also an enlisted guy who is not new to general recruiting, but is new to officer recruiting. This may also be a factor.

exNavyOffRec

I, too, could understand being slow if he is busy with other duties and have absolutely no issues if that is the case.

My sister was in recruiting for the ANG for a while--different animal completely--and she said she has witnessed applicants with less that stellar kits be strung along so their recruiter could persuade them to pursue a different billet needing filled. In my case, I believe I have a well-rounded (not strong) kit, but my ASTB scores are below average (45/5/6/6), required a three waivers, and have a three tattoos.

However, I also have 7.5 years of honorable prior service with no performance or disciplinary issues, an Aeronautics degree with a 3.8 GPA, interview score of 10, a strong motivational statement and solid references/volunteer time. I'm just not certain my pros outweigh my cons and am not getting any feedback about it.

When I ask about the status of my kit or whether or not it has been submitted, I get an "I don't know" and "The only way to know if it has been submitted is when you get a Pro-rec Y/N letter." I would think a recruiter would have access to this information, but I could be wrong, which is why I am here.

My recruiter is also an enlisted guy who is not new to general recruiting, but is new to officer recruiting. This may also be a factor.

I think I know the direction I want to answer this but before I do what rank is your OR?

exNavyOffRec

Petty Officer First Class, I believe.

I am going to go with he probably has no clue as to what he is doing because he was not trained properly, or he could be an incompetent idiot, but lets go with training issue. Yes a recruiter does have access to find out this info, from the point it is submitted to the point of being "at board" and even if he didn't want to access the system he should have communication with his processor to get a good status, unfortunately I have seen many E-6's in officer recruiting that were just walked all over so that isn't great for you either.

If he is just telling you "I don't know" he will be an E-6 for quite a while until he figures out "I don't know" isn't a real answer.

exNavyOffRec

I don't want to speak out of turn here, but does rank really make a big difference as far as OR's/OSO's go? I've had three O-3s and one E-7.

yes, it actually does, E-6's in OR world are generally walked over all the time, officers 0-3 and below have some fleet experience and get respect due to rank, CPO's have lots of experience and also get respect due to rank, CPO's and officers interact with the DH's or CO/XO on a regular basis both in the fleet and on recruiting, on recruiting it would not be unusual for the CO or XO to pull me aside and ask my opinion about officer recruiting, you generally wouldn't see them do that with an E-6.

Kees

SNA Select
I am going to go with he probably has no clue as to what he is doing because he was not trained properly, or he could be an incompetent idiot, but lets go with training issue. Yes a recruiter does have access to find out this info, from the point it is submitted to the point of being "at board" and even if he didn't want to access the system he should have communication with his processor to get a good status, unfortunately I have seen many E-6's in officer recruiting that were just walked all over so that isn't great for you either.

If he is just telling you "I don't know" he will be an E-6 for quite a while until he figures out "I don't know" isn't a real answer.

That makes sense, and I appreciate the input.

I have a good rapport with the O-3 of my recruiting office, who is also my OR's supervisor. Do you think it would be a bad move to go over my OR and address the issue with the O-3, or should I try to settle everything with my OR only?

exNavyOffRec

That makes sense, and I appreciate the input.

I have a good rapport with the O-3 of my recruiting office, who is also my OR's supervisor. Do you think it would be a bad move to go over my OR and address the issue with the O-3, or should I try to settle everything with my OR only?

I would tell your OR that you are confused as to how you can't get an exact status of your application while people you have talked to that are applying, as well as other OR's (current/former) are saying that you can get a status.

If that doesn't work talk to the LT

Kees

SNA Select
I would tell your OR that you are confused as to how you can't get an exact status of your application while people you have talked to that are applying, as well as other OR's (current/former) are saying that you can get a status.

If that doesn't work talk to the LT

Awesome. I really appreciate your advice!

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot

Awesome. I really appreciate your advice!
Blows my mind that a lot of us have to search out a forum to get good/decently consistent information on something that determines the course of a major chunk of our lives. I get it, it's life and some people suck at what they do but we arent exactly ordering coffee, we're trying to become naval officers; we need more people like NavyOffRec and DIVO in the recruiting community. Cannot say thank you enough for guiding some of us through this arduous process and making it a little more transparent and manageable.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
And to everyone else...crazy amount of support and communication already and we don't even know each other. Future looks bright if we get in to the brother/sisterhood of NA'S/NFO's.

headinclouds

yes, it actually does, E-6's in OR world are generally walked over all the time, officers 0-3 and below have some fleet experience and get respect due to rank, CPO's have lots of experience and also get respect due to rank, CPO's and officers interact with the DH's or CO/XO on a regular basis both in the fleet and on recruiting, on recruiting it would not be unusual for the CO or XO to pull me aside and ask my opinion about officer recruiting, you generally wouldn't see them do that with an E-6.
This makes a lot of sense. Probably why my current OR (CPO) has been the most informed. Thanks for the reply.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
first time at the controls tonight over the bay and a cruise ship...hell of a time and this sure could become an addiction