• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JAN/FEB/MAR 2014 Rolling SNA and SNFO Boards

So what kind of physical prep are you guys doing for OCS? I've been crossfitting and lifting heavy with long runs on the weekend of up to 12 miles. I plan on throwing more calisthenic work closer to my OCS date. I don't have a pro rec yet, but I love training so it's no big deal for me to make a little shift towards endurance training for OCS even though I don't have a guarantee.

I'm pretty confident I can handle the physical aspects of OCS but I'm interested to hear what you all are doing to prepare.

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
So what kind of physical prep are you guys doing for OCS? I've been crossfitting and lifting heavy with long runs on the weekend of up to 12 miles. I plan on throwing more calisthenic work closer to my OCS date. I don't have a pro rec yet, but I love training so it's no big deal for me to make a little shift towards endurance training for OCS even though I don't have a guarantee.

I'm pretty confident I can handle the physical aspects of OCS but I'm interested to hear what you all are doing to prepare.
I was wondering when someone was going to ask!

I have been living the fitness lifestyle since high school, and I'm still going strong. I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week, lifting or doing cardio, sometimes both. As for running, I'm averaging 17 miles per week on the pavement. As for lifting, I've been staying away from doing more than my body weight. That means reping 225 bench, squat, and dead lift. I have also been experimenting with some crossfit action, it's definitely fun! I'll post physical stats if anyone else is willing to!

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
I've been focusing on other things, so I haven't been putting a lot of effort into my fitness. I've been just doing dumbbell lifting, situps, pushups and "running"..

Last edited:

headinclouds

I believe there is only one list. Seems AD hears first just because they don't have to wait for the info to trickle down to their ORs, the list is sent directly to their CO.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot

Had four years of pure hell in regards to training for D2 swimming and 2 years of competition after I was out so took about 6 months off in 2013. Finally back on the grind running about 15 - 20 a week but I am far from a runner. At about 8-8:30 miles right now. Heavy lifting 4 days a week and swimming 5-6 miles a week including open water's. Pulls, pushes, crunches repeat.

6'3" 225 so I have about 10 more lbs to go to meet "navy standards" but I have no clue how much they hold you to weight standards if you are low body fat.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I believe there is only one list. Seems AD hears first just because they don't have to wait for the info to trickle down to their ORs, the list is sent directly to their CO.
I'm going with a 'N'. Threw it in there because it seemed like it would be cool but I have no where near the grades and no prior intel experience/not AD.
Eyes on the sky now.

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
Had four years of pure hell in regards to training for D2 swimming and 2 years of competition after I was out so took about 6 months off in 2013. Finally back on the grind running about 15 - 20 a week but I am far from a runner. At about 8-8:30 miles right now. Heavy lifting 4 days a week and swimming 5-6 miles a week including open water's. Pulls, pushes, crunches repeat.

6'3" 225 so I have about 10 more lbs to go to meet "navy standards" but I have no clue how much they hold you to weight standards if you are low body fat.
Gnarly. According to my OR and what I have read, the max weight one can be is 235, while being at or below the 22% body fat mark. I'm 6' and 225, and just below with 21%.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Gnarly. According to my OR and what I have read, the max weight one can be is 235, while being at or below the 22% body fat mark. I'm 6' and 225, and just below with 21%.
Noted. I'm note really a fan of the way they measure BF. I have a huge neck and chest and they put me at 21.5% when realistically I'm about 10-12. It is what it is though.

exNavyOffRec

You want to make sure you give yourself a buffer, aim for 20% for max, not sure what they will do now but a few years ago they would send people home if they were measured outside of limits or overweight, it was sticky enough we pushed several guys OCS dates out.

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
Noted. I'm note really a fan of the way they measure BF. I have a huge neck and chest and they put me at 21.5% when realistically I'm about 10-12. It is what it is though.
Heard that. If it wasn't for my thick neck I'd be over. What is your waist measurement? (if you don't mind me asking). My gut is just about 38" with a 17" neck... 38-17=21% according to the good ol rope n choke.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
You want to make sure you give yourself a buffer, aim for 20% for max, not sure what they will do now but a few years ago they would send people home if they were measured outside of limits or overweight, it was sticky enough we pushed several guys OCS dates out.
How rational are they though? If you are a trim 220 and clearly not 20% but according to their math you are do you still run the risk?
Heard that. If it wasn't for my thick neck I'd be over. What is your waist measurement? (if you don't mind me asking). My gut is just about 38" with a 17" neck... 38-17=21% according to the good ol rope n choke.
46.5 chest 36 waist 18 neck.

TGL78

ProRec Y SNA/NFO
Thanks for the advice! I will continue to work on my weight, I'm just a naturally thick person. Did you happen to see my post about MEPS earlier today? Was wondering if you had any recommendations.