• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Everyone, thanks a bunch for all the insights into living in Japan, always good to hear some specifics of what people thought about their experiences.

Fred

CORPSviation said:
what about on the green side?

All I can tell you is when we were there, the O'Club at Atsugi was PACKED with Marines as soon as CAG 5 pulled out. Atsugi squadrons would fly out Friday am....Iwakuni Hornets would be landing by that afternoon. lol

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fred said:
All I can tell you is when we were there, the O'Club at Atsugi was PACKED with Marines as soon as CAG 5 pulled out. Atsugi squadrons would fly out Friday am....Iwakuni Hornets would be landing by that after noon. lol
No doubt to the delight of the CAG-5 wives.

Brett

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Pags said:
Everyone, thanks a bunch for all the insights into living in Japan, always good to hear some specifics of what people thought about their experiences.

I haven't been to Japan with the military but I have spent ample time all over the place over there. Here's my tip for you, I hope that you follow it very closely. Stay away from Roppongi. No matter how hard your friends try to get you to go, just say no. If you are tricked into going, do NOT set foot inside Gas Panic. Under no circumstance would you want to be there.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
Fred said:
When were you in VFA-27? My husband was in the Maces from 97-00.

I was in VFA-27 from Aug 2001- Feb 2002 but left 2 1/2 years early for STA-21. Also in VFA-192 from May 94- Jun 98 and AIMD Jul 98- Aug 01.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
Stay away from Roppongi. No matter how hard your friends try to get you to go, just say no. If you are tricked into going, do NOT set foot inside Gas Panic. Under no circumstance would you want to be there.
Are you insane?

Brett

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Does anyone have any insight as to finding housing with pets? My husband is looking to try for Japan on our first tour, but I have a lab whom I refuse to leave behind. From what I have read and researched if could be next to impossible to find a place that allows pets.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
In Iwakuni, dogs and cats were allowed in the on base townhouses, but not the midrises. I knew many people who had pets who lived out in town. It made finding a house off base to live in a little bit harder, but it is definately possible.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Brett327 said:
Are you insane?

Brett

Roppongi? Seems to have come up a fair bit in this thread...and two fleet guys seem to lend their support to it, one with a *****ing avatar. So, what's the deal?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fred said:
Atsugi is only about 36km SW of Tokyo. It takes an hour and half to drive, but it's not that far.

Yeah, you are right, "Fred" --- I looked at one of my current airline flight plans and I didn't interpolate fron NRT, mea culpa --- we do a teardrop departure and that accounts for the extra mileage ......

And since we're gettin' busy correcting each other and splitting hairs --- it's VFA-195 -- not "95" as you stated in a post and are probably aware --- and "Chippies" is their tactical callsign --- they are the VFA-195 "Dambusters" (used to be VA-195 when I shipped, flew, and waved with them). But hey!!! We're spliting hairs, right .... ???

And .....
Fred said:
All I can tell you is when we were there, the O'Club at Atsugi was PACKED with Marines as soon as CAG 5 pulled out...... They were good for free drinks. ;)
..... I can see WestPac "Widows" are still alive and well, 30 years after Vietnam when the term was coined ......

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Pags said:
Roppongi? Seems to have come up a fair bit in this thread...and two fleet guys seem to lend their support to it, one with a *****ing avatar. So, what's the deal?

What's the deal ??? Ever hear of Tijuana?? The Tenderloin District?? Ermina?? Olongapo?? Mabini Street?? Kowloon? Patpong??? ... just to name a few. The deal is .... Roppongi is the "Red Light" district of Tokyo .... caveat emptor.

hightouch-420.jpg

To quote from a Japanese website re: Roppongi

...... "Roppongi is Tokyo's current active nexus of sin where the highest concentration of foreigners can be found any night after 6pm. An unusual plethora of Nigerian men work the doors of bars and work the street - "you, what kind of ladies are you looking for tonight?" ....... you realized, much to your amusement, that the fastest way to have them stop pitching any sort of cheap sin was to say, "Excuse me, we are good Christian gentlemen." That seldom gets a rebuttal, unlike "I'm not interested," which seems to be the opening line in a two block long trailing conversation."

Status
Not open for further replies.