• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Unfortunately, climbing Mt. Fuji is restricted to certain months in the summer. At least, that's the way it was explained to me. I never had the chance to do it, as I arrived too late and left too early when I was stationed in Japan. Second time I was there, I was a little too busy to make the trip. Someday...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jboomer said:
That's exactly what we were hoping NOT to find. Similar to process of taking animals to Hawaii. Guess I'll not have Japan on my upcoming dream sheet!
If you're making career decisions based on your pets, you might want to reexamine your priorities.

Brett

Reactions: E5B

Fred

A4sForever said:
And since we're gettin' busy correcting each other and splitting hairs --- it's VFA-195 -- not "95" as you stated in a post and are probably aware --- and "Chippies" is their tactical callsign --- they are the VFA-195 "Dambusters" (used to be VA-195 when I shipped, flew, and waved with them). But hey!!! We're spliting hairs, right .... ???

You are correct I forgot the *1* in 195. While Chippie is their tactical call sign, the squadron rarely refers to itself as the Dam Busters. The squadron T's say Chippie Ho, flight suits are embroidered with Chippies, the jet has a Chippie bird on the tail, etc. It was this way 15 years ago and as recently as last fall when our friend handed over command of 195.

As far as West Pac Widows.....I saw a couple of them. For the most part it was just people out having fun and not committing any impropriety. I drove more than one dad to Toy's R Us to get a gift for a much missed child back in the States

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Brett327 said:
If you're making career decisions based on your pets, you might want to reexamine your priorities.

Brett

Nope. Making career decisions with my family in mind. My wife cares about her animals and if I have a say-so I'm not going to jeopardize that. If I were ordered to Japan, we could live with that (although she would do so grudgingly and with much grief). If I failed to exhaust all options before placing Japan on my dream sheet (and she were forced to leave her animals behind), I wouldn't be respecting her wishes and would probably pay dearly for it! My priorities are family THEN career with the mutual understanding that ultimately I'm at the mercy of the service.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jboomer said:
Nope. Making career decisions with my family in mind. My wife cares about her animals and if I have a say-so I'm not going to jeopardize that. If I were ordered to Japan, we could live with that (although she would do so grudgingly and with much grief). If I failed to exhaust all options before placing Japan on my dream sheet (and she were forced to leave her animals behind), I wouldn't be respecting her wishes and would probably pay dearly for it! My priorities are family THEN career with the mutual understanding that ultimately I'm at the mercy of the service.
I guess a wife is slightly different than a pet ;) although I'm becoming less and less convinced lately. Slight threadjack, but I've seen more wives exert negative pressure on their service member spouses to the detriment of their careers. That's why I remain happily unfettered. :D

Brett

Fred

I've heard many times over the years a wife will make or break a career. The military recruits the service member but retains the family. I always tell my husband how lucky he is. I have willingly let him drag me all over the world this past 17 years. ;) We make a good team.

Reactions: E5B

Fred

jboomer said:

We took our dog to Japan both times, and while off base housing was difficult to find with pets on base was not. My parents kept her until we got on base. Not sure if it's still allowed but we did in house quarantine.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:
Unfortunately, climbing Mt. Fuji is restricted ......I never had the chance to do it....... Someday...

Maybe this will pacify you for a while ... the "working end" of Mt Fujiyama ... HAI !!! (note the switchbacks near the crater rim)

fujismall26ev.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... I've heard many times over the years a wife will make or break a career.

True, true, very true ... that's why I got rid of the first one. Plus she leaked, rattled, squeaked, dripped, and smoked .... the replacement model cost more, but is much nicer, better lines, better R&D, better mileage, more hi-tech .....

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
How is a Japan tour from a financial perspective? Lucrative or break-even due to the expense in Japan? Is there some sort of COLA?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Better yet ... do a staff tour in Korea and bring your dog. YUMMMMM !!!! Dinner is served .....

JeansDog.jpg
=
7350090.JPG

You can run, but you can't hide, doggy .....

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A4sForever said:
... (note the switchbacks near the crater rim) ...

Climbing trails. One on the left, 8 o'clock is the gradual slope for us older folks and the one at about 7 o'clock is the more aggressive youngster trail. Auto's are limited to about station 10, or about 10,000 feet.

More fun than the P-tutes in Roppongi any time.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
We took our dog to Japan both times, and while off base housing was difficult to find with pets on base was not. My parents kept her until we got on base. Not sure if it's still allowed but we did in house quarantine.

So I take it you had your dog shipped at a later time? If so, how did that whole process work? That may be another option.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
jboomer said:
So I take it you had your dog shipped at a later time? If so, how did that whole process work? That may be another option.

Would you really need to ship it late if you started the prepping process soon after selection? Would the RAG be long enough that you can complete the process before the PCS? If you find you can't have it done in time, have you considered having your wife stay behind while the process is finished and join you with the dog at a later date?

Status
Not open for further replies.