• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
A4sForever said:
What's the deal ??? Ever hear of Tijuana?? The Tenderloin District?? Ermina?? Olongapo?? Mabini Street?? Kowloon? Patpong??? ... just to name a few. The deal is .... Roppongi is the "Red Light" district of Tokyo .... caveat emptor.

Pretty much what I figured...Disney World for adults...I've heard of most of the others, just never Roppongi...but thanks for getting me up to speed.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So A4s was that an good review of Rappungi or a bad one?
If you go out at about 3am it starts going lots of the European women who work in the bars are off work and looking to drink. Yes there are the pros there but amatuer night is better and not so pricey (so Ive heard anyway).

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
^ Oh man you couldn't be more right A4s. I was only there for 2 weeks on an exchange with JMSDF on my first class cruise. But we went to Roppongi more than once, and the amount of soliciation you get for the strip clubs/brothels is insane. But I would ceratinly recommend going there to anyone who is in Tokyo. Good times, as Brett says.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
skidkid said:
So A4s was that an good review of Rappungi or a bad one?

Oh, I don't know .... 30 years later I still walk with a slight limp and one eye twitches .... caveat emptor. (AW smiley face :censored_ , yes?? )

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
Roppongi? Seems to have come up a fair bit in this thread...and two fleet guys seem to lend their support to it, one with a *****ing avatar. So, what's the deal?
It's not all about hookers/strippers, although there is that if you're interested. It's kind of an all night party district. Expensive, but what else are you gonna do with your cash? Last train leaves kind of early (0030 or 0100 if memory serves), so you tend to stay out all night and catch the morning train. It's not somewhere you would go every weekend, but it's fun once in a while. Now, what could possibly be wrong with that? ;)

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Brett327 said:
Last train leaves kind of early (0030 or 0100 if memory serves), so you tend to stay out all night and catch the morning train. It's not somewhere you would go every weekend, but it's fun once in a while. Now, what could possibly be wrong with that? ;)

Brett

Oh no, you've got it all wrong. You don't take the last train, you take the FIRST train in the morning around 0500 so you can get back to base for muster. At least thats what the Chief in charge of us told us to do at Yokosuka. That way you can stay all night and get your money's worth.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
Oh no, you've got it all wrong. You don't take the last train, you take the FIRST train in the morning around 0500
Uhh, I think that's exactly what I said. R-E-A-D C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y!

Brett

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Brett327 said:
It's not all about hookers/strippers, although there is that if you're interested. It's kind of an all night party district. Expensive, but what else are you gonna do with your cash? Last train leaves kind of early (0030 or 0100 if memory serves), so you tend to stay out all night and catch the morning train. It's not somewhere you would go every weekend, but it's fun once in a while. Now, what could possibly be wrong with that? ;)

Brett

First off, no, I'm not insane. Second, not to start any sort of pissing contest here but how much time have you spent in Japan? There are plenty of other neato places to go at night that do not include women who have been taught inappropriate english by the last bunch of Marines to come through. I also don't like crowds of dirty Englishmen who have been kicked out of Thailand and now move to Roppongi to hit on Asian girls. Also, unfamiliar (or all too familiar) itching/burning sensations are not my favorite. Here's the AW smiley story of Roppongi.
:) -> :D -> :icon_zbee -> :jump2refe -> :sleep_125 -> :confused: -> :eek: -> :icon_rage

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
To whomever asked it, my exchange program was funded by a grant from two foundations, set up for the express purpose of allowing military officers and cadets/midshipmen the chance to study abroad. I did the program right after I graduated from college and before I went to TBS. A wonderful opportunity, to say the least.

Roppongi is like anything or anywhere else: It's what you make of it. If you want to go to dirty, nasty places, you're going to meet dirty, nasty people and probably do dirty, nasty things. Hey, that appeals to everyone at one point or another. You can hang out with Japanese people, you can hang out with gaijin, or you could--gasp!--hang out with all sorts of people. The way I see it, Japan isn't the easiest place for a non-Japanese person to be, simply because the population is over 99% ethnic Japanese. I'm not trying to knock either the Japanese hospitality or the foreigners who visit, but it is a simple fact that if you have not spent at least a little time getting to know the people and the culture, you might miss out on some things.

Roppongi was a BLAST each time I visited, but I had some...interesting guides. And it definitely wasn't my favorite place in Japan. If you want to blow lots of money and have a kick-as$ time, sure, live it up! But there's far, far, FAR more to see in Japan than the toilet you're yakking in.

Personally, I'm a fan of Kyoto, Nikko, and Etajima. But that's me, and time strange sometimes. Time for duty....@#$%

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
jboomer said:
Does anyone have any insight as to finding housing with pets? My husband is looking to try for Japan on our first tour, but I have a lab whom I refuse to leave behind. From what I have read and researched if could be next to impossible to find a place that allows pets.
don't know if you have seen it or not, but here's some gouge on the current pet policy for Americans bringing dogs/cats to Japan ... if you want some info about Iwakuni, PM me the questions, i'd say i'm pretty familar with this sh!thole ...

S/F

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
First off, no, I'm not insane. Second, not to start any sort of pissing contest here but how much time have you spent in Japan? There are plenty of other neato places to go at night that do not include women who have been taught inappropriate english by the last bunch of Marines to come through. I also don't like crowds of dirty Englishmen who have been kicked out of Thailand and now move to Roppongi to hit on Asian girls. Also, unfamiliar (or all too familiar) itching/burning sensations are not my favorite. Here's the AW smiley story of Roppongi.
You're not a sailor, are you. ;) Sure there are plenty of other places to go - I don't think I implied otherwise - but let's face it, Sailors are usually inclined to go to places like this, so I'm dishing out a little gouge. If you're getting a burning sensation after Roppongi, then you're probably not doing it right. ;)

Good times (and smiles :D :icon_smil)

Brett

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
jarhead said:
don't know if you have seen it or not, but here's some gouge on the current pet policy for Americans bringing dogs/cats to Japan ... if you want some info about Iwakuni, PM me the questions, i'd say i'm pretty familar with this sh!thole ...

S/F

That's exactly what we were hoping NOT to find. Similar to process of taking animals to Hawaii. Guess I'll not have Japan on my upcoming dream sheet!

H20man

Drill baby drill!
im surprised no one has mentioned Mt. Fuji. I lived in japan 2 years when my dad was stationed in Yokosuka.

One thing i remember the most was Climbing Mt. Fuji, i cant really compare it to anything, except the sight you get when looking down at the city below in the early morning when first starting the hike. Still have my hiking stick, all the way to the top.

Its rewarding when you get the final station emblem burned into your hiking stick.

I also remember the indoor Water park in Yokohama, that was a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.