• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Japan

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I just came back from a 1 year unaccompanied tour in Okinawa. Aside from missing my wife and kids a great deal, I absolutley loved it. I'm thinking of doing another tour (with my family) over there later.

Goods:
1) See a little bit of the world most Americans won't.
2) More money.
3) World class scuba diving.
4) Great chow.
5) Cheap cars.
6) Tight community of people.
7) Ease of travel to other Asian countries and other close places (Thailand, Korea, Australia, etc)

Others:
1) Housing generally sucks.
2) Logistics of seeing your stateside family.
3) "Total immersion" in the military (kind of the flip side of tight community).
4) Dealing with Japanese-US Military politics (hence some occasional liberty restrictions).

Overall, I'd say a great experience. Alot depends on how adventurous you are. If you're the kind of person who makes a bee-line for McDonalds when the ship pulls in to Phuket, you won't like it much.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

COLA (Cost of Living Allowance). It's supposed to make up for things being more expensive, but I never "needed" it. Also you get a utility allowance in addition to housing allowance (if you live off base). Most people make more money over there, depending on how you live.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
COLA (Cost of Living Allowance). It's supposed to make up for things being more expensive, but I never "needed" it. Also you get a utility allowance in addition to housing allowance (if you live off base). Most people make more money over there, depending on how you live.

Did you live off base? What kind of things did you do with your free time? What sort of liberty restrictions were there?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Did you live off base? What kind of things did you do with your free time? What sort of liberty restrictions were there?

I lived in the BOQ. I went scuba diving ALL the time. Of my 365 day tour, I spent well over a day of it at the bottom on the Ocean. I also ran and worked out much more than I do back here. I went out to eat (sushi and Japanese steak houses, mainly), played a lot of golf, and generally goofed off. Keep in mind that as a father of three little girls, "goofing off" was sort of a rare privelege for me to take advantage of.

Liberty restrictions are kind of an ebb and flow thing. We had to carry "liberty cards" to be off base after 2100. I was only asked for mine 3 times all year. Screw the pooch out in town and get your card yanked. Honestly more of an issue for the younger enlisted folks.

The crux of the matter is that the threshold of "screwing the pooch out in town" is much lower over there. Something that wouldn't even make the blotter in the states (say, a fist fight with a local) can be front page news in Japan (US Marine Brutalizes Local Peace-loving Man.....story at 11). It really gets the brass fired up and leads to some excesses in punishment for everybody. Sometimes it's a cinderella curfew, or "no more than a six pack" that you can buy on base. Stuff like that. It never lasts that long, though.

I wouldn't stress about restrictions too much. Just remember to stay out of trouble over there.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
I went scuba diving ALL the time. Of my 365 day tour, I spent well over a day of it at the bottom on the Ocean.

How clear is the ocean? :)

What was your main form of transportation? Just bought a cheap car to get you around town? How long can those in the service usually expect to stay over there?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
How clear is the ocean? :)

What was your main form of transportation? Just bought a cheap car to get you around town? How long can those in the service usually expect to stay over there?

In Okinawa the water is generally well better than 30-50 foot visibilty. Awesome.

I had a beater van that I bought for 75 bucks, put spinning hubcaps on, and spraypainted blue. SWEEEEEEEET!

You can stay 1-4 years, generally, depending on situation.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
This clear

skindiver03.jpg

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
In Okinawa the water is generally well better than 30-50 foot visibilty. Awesome.

I had a beater van that I bought for 75 bucks, put spinning hubcaps on, and spraypainted blue. SWEEEEEEEET!

You can stay 1-4 years, generally, depending on situation.

I really want to go scuba diving now.

I was taking a look at some Japanese used auto dealers that specialize in sports cars. I was blown away by the prices. GTR32 for under $10k is insane considering some US importers will charge five times that for the same car.

Is there a limit to how long you can be there?

This clear

skindiver03.jpg

That's beautiful.

Scarface_F/L

OCC 193, here we go!
Look, I been there twice, Okinawa, and ill tell you what, buy a beater or look and you will get one for free. Then DIVE DIVE AND when your hang over is gone, Damit, Dive some more. The Island is one of the best and Cheapest places to dive and buy equipment. Diving will keep you out of the bars everynight. Trust me, I know, and you will have pleanty of time to drink it up so get dive qual after qual, oh and then get some damn work done. Really, I was impressed with the island and i suggest once you get the car/van, go to senior TACO and or just find anyplace once in awhile and go in, learn customs first, and you will be amazed........Soapies lesson later

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I heard jet guys have to be in the top half or the rag to go to Japan. Others say if you ask for it, you'll get it whatever your standing may be. What's the real deal?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard jet guys have to be in the top half or the rag to go to Japan. Others say if you ask for it, you'll get it whatever your standing may be. What's the real deal?

Depends - no way to predict until you're in the RAG and approaching graduation.

Brett

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
I was stationed in Sasebo for two years. There were no off-base restrictions as far as living went. You just had to send a request chit up the chain and get it approved. You could come and go as you please.
As far as restricted bars go... the head shops sold real magic mushrooms and some sailors got busted tripping on 'em. These two idiots videotaped each other eating them like little kids. Like holding a shroom in their hand and flying it like an airplane into their mouth. When this tape was discovered the navy freaked out and there were stories on AFN. The headshops are restricted.

I saw some great concerts over there. Dylan, KISS, Jeff Beck, Phish, Bad Company(of all bands). While you're there, you have easy access to other asian countries too. Take advatage of that if you can. It has been mentioned but I'll go ahead and say it too. The base chow was wonderful.
The girls are hot as hell and they love Americans. Take advantage of that also.

I did not see any crystal clear waters, mostly brown, kind of like VA Beach. The summers are hot and humid. When I say humid, this is like nothing you have experienced (most likely). As hot as the summers are, the winters are just as cold. Frigid @ss cold.