• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Japan

FlyingBeagle

pilot
I understand that needs of the Navy are everything. My specific question was if there is a specific NSS or class standing from the RAG that you must get in order to be eligible to go there in the first place (kind of like making the jet cut in primary). I'm guessing this might be what Turnandburn was talking about? Also, does this only apply to your first tour? Also, is there anything to the rumors the air wing will be moving to Okinawa?

If I must someday leave the promised land that is TX, I would love to go to Japan. Korea is pretty cool, but I get the impression QOL in Japan is a lot better.

Anyone pick up any Japanese during their time their?

helo_wifey

Its very rare for those stationed here to pick up Japanese. You're working a lot, and on the boat a lot. Only if you are very dedicated and study between trying to get (at least for helos), H2P and Hack. I teach English for a school district here, study about 3-4 hours during my day at school, and am around Japanese constantly and am barely past the basic stage. There may be people who do it, but I can't see it because of how busy you are.

But! There's always Japanese lessons on AFN radio if you want ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand that needs of the Navy are everything. My specific question was if there is a specific NSS or class standing from the RAG that you must get in order to be eligible to go there in the first place (kind of like making the jet cut in primary). I'm guessing this might be what Turnandburn was talking about? Also, does this only apply to your first tour? Also, is there anything to the rumors the air wing will be moving to Okinawa?

If I must someday leave the promised land that is TX, I would love to go to Japan. Korea is pretty cool, but I get the impression QOL in Japan is a lot better.

Anyone pick up any Japanese during their time their?

Like we've all been saying, it's going to depend on the needs of the Navy at that particular time, but yes, usually they try to send the better performing studs to CAG-5. The "rumors" are about the wing moving to Iwakuni (not Oki) and if that happens, it will be years from now, so probably not a factor for guys in the pipeline. As far as the language, everyone seems to pick up the standard phrases you need to get around, but most of the Js speak English to some extent. During my time in Iwakuni, the language barrier was rarely an issue.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Korea is pretty cool, but I get the impression QOL in Japan is a lot better....Anyone pick up any Japanese during their time their?
Japaneee man 'mo bettah ...

The Japanese call the Koreans "garlic eaters" and the Koreans call the Japanese "barbarians from the sea" ... :) ... at least that's our mechanics talkin'. Personally, I prefer the latter --- the Jap-panese and Jap-Pan. I had 4 excited Korean mechanics in the cockpit for a minor glitch -- talk about azzholes and elbows -- I had to get up and leave the cockpit as my eyes were watering from the smell. Kimchee blow-back. At least you don't worry about vampires getting you in Korea ...

Pick up any Japanese?? Sure, I picked up a couple of Japanese bar girls in my youth...

Stubby

Ask the Chief
I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this thread, but since I'm killing a little time I'll offer this:

Back in December 2005 the Navy was really pushing orders to Japan. This is mostly for Enlisted Sailors, but I imagine it's not much easier to get officers to take those orders. This isn't a "flight crew" specific call either, but to see what the Navy was putting out about orders to Japan eight months ago, try this:

http://www.npc.navy.mil/AboutUs/NPC/PublicAffairs/NewsDetails/JapanOrders_12_21_2005.htm

Incidentally, I've done three VP deployments to Japan, and I've spent a lot of time in Misawa, Kadena, and Atsugi. I really enjoyed it there every time.

Misawa is in the far North and is situated outside a relatively small farming/fishing kind of town. The countryside is absolutely gorgeous, and you get all the seasons.

Atsugi is nearer to Tokyo. The base itself is kind of small, but you have easy access to all the Japanese mass transit and can easily travel to anywhere.

Kadena has been spoken of already. I liked it there; there is a lot of beach related things to do as already mentioned. I think of the three I was given the cold shoulder as an American the most in Kadena. There are almost always protesters outside the gate. Oh, and don't be confused into calling someone from Okinawa "Japanese".... There ain't no "Momma-sans" in Okinawa.

Another funny thing is that there are “no Gaijin” (no foreigners) establishments in Japan, or areas within the establishments that are only for locals. This kind of discrimination would cause a riot in America would cause a riot, but in Japan, it’s no big deal. I get a chuckle out of it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I learned a bit while stationed in Iwakuni, but I learned more in college and in my subsequent JMSDF exchange program. Of course, language skills are perishable, and I've had little excuse to use my Japanese. ...Especially while learning enough Spanish to survive visits to the (future) inlaws. There was, however, an incedent in a shooting range in Vegas, but that's another story.

Japan's probably one of my favorite countries to visit, and barring one or two things that happened a long time ago, I have never had a bad experience there. The only people I've met who had a lousy time there were those who opted to not approach the nation, its people, and its culture with an open mind.