• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

July 2013 and/or Rolling Board

AughtaRotate

Glorified Bus Driver
Found out yesterday that I was a SWO non-select as well. That's ok though, I don't mind flying aircraft for the Navy instead. But what's up with only an 18% selection rate? Can anyone say what factors contribute to that?

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
Found out yesterday that I was a SWO non-select as well. That's ok though, I don't mind flying aircraft for the Navy instead. But what's up with only an 18% selection rate? Can anyone say what factors contribute to that?

It's been mentioned a few times up here, but I can try to explain it again as best as I possibly can, whereas NOR has better information.

But what happens is, that when some people report to Newport, some are disqualified for aviation, which in turn makes them have to redesignate to SWO. If this is wrong, I apologize. But that is what I hear the case is for the low selection rate of SWOs.

As a side note, and again I know this has been stated on here before, but can there really be THAT many people dropping out like flies for aviation when they get to Newport? What is the leading cause for disqualification? Eye sight? Heart related issues? (Surgically repaired knees, such as myself, but NO symptoms related to the surgery at all?) thanks for answering in advance

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It' a real shame that you missed out on your preference for SWO, but some just have to bite the bullet to fill those pesky aviation slots. When you shine throughout flight training & get one those grungy 'Rhino' assignments... don't mention in your ready room, that you would have preferred your first choice of SWO. Your Squadronmates will look at you kinda' funny.:rolleyes: If your Flight Surgeon gets wind, you may end up with a mando psych eval!:eek:;)
BzB

AughtaRotate

Glorified Bus Driver
It' a real shame that you missed out on your preference for SWO, but some just have to bite the bullet to fill those pesky aviation slots. When you shine throughout flight training & get one those grungy 'Rhino' assignments... don't mention in your ready room, that you would have preferred your first choice of SWO. Your Squadronmates will look at you kinda' funny.:rolleyes: If your Flight Surgeon gets wind, you may end up with a mando psych eval!:eek:;)
BzB

Not sure if this was a joke or not, but just to be clear, SNA was my first choice. When I first talked to my recruiter I was planning on SWO, but as soon as she said my GPA was more than good enough for it I said sign me up! It's been five days since the board results came out and I'm still a little bit in disbelief. The Navy thinks I should fly something for them? God help us all :-P

But what happens is, that when some people report to Newport, some are disqualified for aviation, which in turn makes them have to redesignate to SWO. If this is wrong, I apologize. But that is what I hear the case is for the low selection rate of SWOs.

I fully expect to make it through flight school, but I know I have heard this before. I was wondering if there was any truth to this notion?

exNavyOffRec

I fully expect to make it through flight school, but I know I have heard this before. I was wondering if there was any truth to this notion?

more often than not flight school drops are sent home now, if an issue comes up at OCS those are generally redesignated, if they want.

exNavyOffRec

The overall percent is just a reflection on the numbers that apply compared to what is available to fill.

What is available to fill is based on what the USN needs, and generally that doesn't vary too much with the larger designators, when a goal isn't official yet they go off of previous years goal and select a percentage of that, about 50% now say that number is 100, but for whatever reason 50 people get redesignated to SWO at OCS so then only 50 spots are available.

The effect is much more noticeable on designators like Intel, IW, IP, and supply.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I have been saying for a while now, I think everyone should spend time as an E before becoming an O. I don't think anyone should commission right off the street anymore. We don't live in the same world as we did when the E/O system evolved.

We do during OCS. Non-priors are sworn is as an E-5 then an O upon graduation :)

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
We will get paid as E-5s, but I'm pretty sure that the swearing in happens when we get the brass bars pinned on our collars, not any time sooner.
When we swear in we basically swear in as E-5 reserve (I was told) then at OCS yes we are paid as an E-5 die tech we are "E"'s before becoming an "O".

Robo-03

Proud Wise Owl
pilot
When we swear in we basically swear in as E-5 reserve (I was told) then at OCS yes we are paid as an E-5 die tech we are "E"'s before becoming an "O".
In a lot of your posts you have been spot on but this one I will have to disagree. Regardless what you were "told" or what your compensation may be at the time you are going through OCS, you are not and will never be enlisted. When dcushman says he thinks everyone should spend some time as an E, he's not talking about the semantics or the literal fact that you will get paid as an E-5. I am sure he is talking about living in a 100 man berthing, standing in line for a half hour just to eat in the galley and only wondering what the inside of the wardroom looks like, always doing your own laundry, being the last one off the ship during liberty call... the list goes on. If we are in the same class I will be there to mentor you while we both become officers but please don't confuse that fact and think that you were enlisted for 12 weeks. Don't take this the wrong way, I mean no disrespect.