• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

King Kat opening 31OCT2008

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, the "grapes" are the refuelers, correct? It's what they did on the amphib with whom I worked in the Air Division for one of my MIDN cruises...

Or are you making a distinction between "grapes" and lavender-shirts?

Were you also in the CAP? I love when people speak to experience . . . :D

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Nice job MB & Co... Not too many folks do the selfless stuff anymoh'....

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
He's making fun of the color of the shirt they got. Doesn't look Purple, looks Lavendar. Hear that? It's the clue phone, you might want to answer it. ;)

No I got that! Re-reading my response clearly makes it seems like I didn't though.

I'll defer to that always wonderful answer: "Hey, don't blame me, I'm just a MIDN, I didn't know any better!" :)

JeepGrl

I drive an 85 Jeep CJ7. I know. That's hot.
Article from PAO

This article was submitted for the NAS Kingsville newspaper, the Flying K. Some amazing history. :icon_tong

MWR unveils the "King Kat"
By Jon Gagné, NAS Kingsville Public Affairs
The Morale, Welfare and Recreation Department unveiled their latest "toy" for base personnel Friday, Oct. 31 in the form of a mechanical device designed to simulate catching a wire on an aircraft carrier. The "Kingsville Catapult" or "King Kat" as it is called, was designed and built by VT-21 Training Officer LT Casey Bates. The project took three months to complete from design to test drive, and included the volunteer efforts of several other aviators, dubbed the King Kat air crew.
The design is taken from the famous Cubi Point Catapult, aka Cubi Cat, which became a Naval Aviation legend at the old officer’s club at NAS Cubi Point, Philippines in the 70’s and 80’s. The Cat made its debut in 1969, the result of some dedicated workers from the Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Depot (AIMD) at Cubi Point.

A friend of mine, former NAS Pensacola Gosport editor and retired Navy Chief Photographer’s Mate Art Giberson, wrote about the legend of the Cubi Cat. Back in the day, according to Giberson, Cubi Point Naval Air Station and the adjoining Subic Bay Naval Base in the Philippines were a place where war-weary Navy and Marine Corps aviators, Marines and Sailors, could let off a little steam after flying combat missions over Vietnam or spending weeks on the gunline aboard ships on Yankee Station. Club managers were always being tasked with coming up with new and interesting ways to keep personnel entertained, which wasn’t always easy.

Enter CDR John L. Sullivan and the now famous Cubi Point Officers' Club Catapult. The "Cat" came into existence in 1969 and immediately created a division within naval air among those who had ridden the cat and caught the wire, and those who had ridden the cat and missed the wire and gotten soaked. The escapades of Navy and Marine pilots at the Cubi Point Officers' Club, according to Sullivan, is the stuff of legend.

One of these escapades, Giberson wrote, involved catapulting a squadron mate down a half dozen stairs in a chair from the bar upstairs onto the dance floor below. The practice often ended with disastrous results. Because of the injuries, the NAS Cubi Point Commander, CAPT ‘Red Horse’ Meyers stopped the chair shots and tasked Sullivan, who was the AIMD department head, to come up with something else to entertain the aviators. Heading off to the surplus yard, Sullivan and his band of AIMD scavengers liberated a banged-up refueling tank which was quickly converted by the metal smiths into something resembling an A-7 Corsair II. The Cubi Catapult was born.

The 'Cat,' Giberson stated, was 6-feet long and had shoulder straps and a safety belt and was equipped with a stick that, when pulled back sharply, released a hook in the rear of the vehicle to allow arrestment. Propulsion was provided by pressurized nitrogen tanks hooked up to a manifold.

"This arrangement provided enough power to propel the vehicle to 15 mph in the first two feet," said Sullivan. "Acceleration of zero to 15 mph in two feet is the equivalent of the G force of World War II hydraulic catapults. The downward curvature of the track had to be precise. The rollers would bind if the curvature were too sharp. Beyond the exit from the club was a pool of water 3 1/2 feet deep, which would stop the Cat, if the pilot were not successful in catching the wire and stopping the Cat.

Sullivan named the vehicle 'Red Horse One' in honor of CAPT Meyers. Successful "Cat" pilots were held in high esteem by their peers and their names were inscribed in gold letters on the club's Wall of Fame. Reaction time was short because the wire was some 14 feet from the nose of the vehicle.
"Since the pool water was the force that stopped the vehicle, we had to get the vehicle as deeply and as quickly into the pool as possible," Sullivan stated. "Engineers from the Strategic Aircraft Repair Team used their 'slip sticks' to solve the problem."
The vehicle was retrieved from the water by a mechanical winch and cable connected to an eye welded to the back of the A- 7.

Word of the Cat quickly spread throughout Southeast Asia and even attracted Air Force F-4 pilots from Clarke AFB. They would come swaggering in loudly claiming they were equal to the task. Each and every one of them failed to catch the wire, much to the delight of the Navy onlookers.

Just how successful the King Kat will be here remains to be seen. A good crowd of aviators turned out for the official grand opening, including Training Air Wing TWO Commander CAPT Bill Davis and NAS Kingsville Commanding Officer CAPT Phil Waddingham. LT Bates and his staff of volunteers helped load and launch the pilots. Those that were successful owned bragging rights and quite possibly their name on a future "Wall of Fame," while those that hit the water were encouraged to purchase a t-shirt that would remind them of their first attempt at stardom.

LT Bates was all smiles during the official grand opening. Perhaps it was because he had finally witnessed his dream become reality, or, the long weeks of planning, building, and testing the Kat were finally behind him. Whatever the reason, the King Kat has big shoes to fill as far as naval aviation legend is concerned. Fortunately for Bates, and all future King Kat-ers, legends are built one flight at a time.

MasterBates

If anyone cares to read, here is a portion of the KingKat manual.

T-45K Manual said:
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY
NAVAL DRINKING SYSTEMS COMMAND
CAPTAINS CLUB, KBAR PATIO
NAS KINGSVILLE, TEXAS 78363

2DEC2008
LETTER OF PROMULGATION

1. The Not Applicable To Our Present Situation (NATOPS) Program is a postive approach towards improving Morale and Espirit D'Corps at Officers' Clubs throughout the Navy and Marine Corps. The NATOPS program is not intended to stifle person's abilities to avoid the club and all fun activities, but is presented as a counterpoint and balance to the current Total Risk Avoidance (TRA) mindset taken by certain aviators, who may or may not be “dirty hinges” or “freaking field grades”.

2. This manual standardizes maintenance and operation procedures for the King Kat, but does not include LSO or Pilot doctrine. LSO enthusiasm is a must, and dressing in a manner that would make CDR “Bug” Roach proud is highly encouraged. Ridiculous Boat 'Staches are left to individual LSO discretion, with unit COs having final authority on how outrageous said 'stache may be. Pilots can choose to listen to the LSO, but whining is not allowed if they do not listen, and get wet.

3. Checklists and other extracts from this manual may be provided to Pilots, if the LSO and Katapult Officer are feeling generous, and wish to see them stay dry.

C.A. BATES
Lieutenant, U.S. Navy
Chief Designer/Mechanic/Welder/Engineer
Naval Drinking Systems Command

NATOPS Manual
CONTENTS
Page
No.
PART I THE KING KAT
CHAPTER 1 General Characteristics
1.1 DESCRIPTION...........................................I-1-1
1.2 TRACK LAYOUT..........................................I-1-1
1.3 JET DESCRIPTION.......................................I-1-1

CHAPTER 1
General Characteristics

1.1 DESCRIPTION

The Navy Model T-45K KingKat, manufactured by PUMA Industries is a single place, light weight, high performance “CQ” capable parody of the BaE T-45A Goshawk. It is powered by a big freaking spring and gravity, with acceleration capability depenent on pilot weight.

The T-45K “jet” is a highly modified racing Go-Kart modified to withstand the rigors of CQ. The track, catapult and arresting gear are of local assembly from steel stock and garage door parts.

1.2 TRACK LAYOUT

The track that the T-45K runs on is of Low Carbon Steel Construction, with a 33-1/8” gauge. The slope is 10:1 on the above ground track, with a 5:1 slope in the landing pool. The basic layout is 30 feet of track prior to the pool, and 15 feet of track in the pool. There is an integral boarding platform at the top of the track on the port side. At the rear of the track are stanchions where the tensioning winch and holdback fittings are attached. Approximatley 10 feet from the top is a crossmember to which the Catapult Spring is attached. The next crossmember going towards the pool contains the attachment points for the arresting gear springs, and the rear supports for the hook bumper ramp. Next crossmember down the track has the pulleys for the primary arresting gear mounted on it, along with the forward supports for the hook bumper ramp. The next crossmember has the pulleys for the safety wire mounted on it, along with the anchors for the safety wire.

The track is constructed in three segments, from the top, being the launch platform section, 10 feet long, followed by the center section with the catapult and arresting gear mounted, which is 20 feet long, and the pool section which is 15 feet long. All 3 sections are tied to gether using ½ inch grade 8 bolts, with gusset plates for the I-Beams forming the rails to keep the track properly aligned. All sections are anchored to the concrete foundation of the patio and pool by ½ inch expansion type concrete anchors.

1.3 JET DESCRIPTION

The jet is a modified racing go kart with axles manufactured to accommodate Nolan NS-12 railorad service wheels. Mounted to the front is a Catapult Hook, which engages the Catapult Spring in the launch sequence. Welded into the frame of the jet is a “water scoop” resembling a P-51 air intake which functions as a water brake and pilot cooling aid. Bolted to the upper platform is an aluminum drag racing seat. Welded to the frame rails are 5 mounting tabs for a 5 point harness, which is bolted to the mounting tabs using ½ inch grade 8 bolts. Welded to the rear axle is a mounting flange for the tailhook. The tailhook is a single piece of forged cold rolled ½ inch steel rod, which has the hook point forgerd and oil quenched from red heat. Mounted on the forward seat support is a mounting flange for the control stick. Beneath the pilot seat is the uplock/hook guide latch and the uplock and tailhook springs.

The floor of the jet is covered in anti-skid stair tread tape to avouid slipping while mounting and dismounting the machine.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is priceless. I about died reading the first page.

Edit: The press is good, but you'd think they'd cover plagiarism with the Public Affairs types. Some of that article is copy/pasted from the link above, no attribution.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
+1! No doubt you'll be thinking about one for Norfolk in nrear future. Oceana could definitely use one as well!

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I can only imagine the amount of change transmittals there are going to be to the Kat's PCL over the next ... year...century...millennia...

MasterBates

I don't have any sort of squadron or wing billet. Other than "former permanent RDO".

The KingKat was built by myself and other students in our free time.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't have any sort of squadron or wing billet. Other than "former permanent RDO".

The KingKat was built by myself and other students in our free time.

Ahh, the article just said "Training Officer LT MB" so I was just wondering...

MasterBates

That was a typo. My NMCI Email has me assigned to the Training Dept, so I think the PAO looked me up on NMCI and figured I must be the training officer.

MasterBates

Since I am bored and can't fall asleep, I wrote up the limitations tonight.

Basically, I've had all the Mx and Limits and crap written down, but a Gag-NATOPS seems like the best way to pull it all together.

T-45K Chapter 4 said:
CHAPTER 4
Operating Limitations

4.1 GENERAL LIMITATIONS

4.1.1 Prohibited Riders. The following people are not allowed to ride the T-45K:
Children under 18. Children over 18 OK.
Pregnant Women
Pregnant Men
Manatees and other Sea Cows.
People with neck/back injuries or heart conditions.
People with open sores or otherwise prohibited from public pools.
Lepers
The Criminally Insane
People shorter than Ryan Kimmell

4.1.2 Safe Distance. All persons not actively participating in the operation of the T-45K shall stay behind the erected barriers, or in case of no barriers, three feet from all moving parts.

4.2 JET LIMITATIONS

4.2.1 Weight Limitations. The maximum pilot weight for the T-45K is 325 pounds. The minimum weight is 100 pounds. Riders less than 100 pounds may tank up to get over the minumum weight. Riders over 325 probably won't fit in the seat anyways. And if they did, they would overstress the arresting gear.

4.2.2 Anthropormetric Limitations. To fly the T-45K the pilot must be able to climb the boarding ladder, fit in the seat and be able to strap in. If your gut prevents you from dropping the hook, that's not our problem.

4.3 POOL LIMITATIONS

4.3.1 Pool Depth. The pool shall be filled to within 10 inches of full before operation. Water may need to be added to replace water lost during operation.

4.3.2 Pool Water. The pool shall be filled with clean water before use, and pumped out if use is not anticipated within 24 hours.

4.3.3 Water Temperature. Water shall be liquid, and less than 110 degrees Farenheit. Colder is better. Prepare for shrinkage if you bolter.