• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lawsuit Katrina Style

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
I was in the hall today and overheard an AW talking about a lawsuit involving Katrina "victims" and the rescue strop. My google-Fu is low today and I am not seeing anything. Are people taking the US Navy to court over how we rescued them? Anyone get any "inside" info

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
During a rescue one was killed when she fell through the strop. She was right under the door and reached up with both hands (like a touchdown signal) to try and grab the AW. She slid right out.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even if it is true, which I doubt, it is extremely hard to sue the government and win. This is especially true in a case like this where it would be almost impossible to prove negligence or malice, they were being rescued.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I just have to keep reminding myself not to post out of pure political rage.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
New Orleans outside of the French Quarter, and its "Welfare Culture" needs to drown in the gulf.

Nothing but a fucking drain on our society.
People passing blame for their own plight....not listening to evacuation orders.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I refuse to defend the people that stayed at their own risk, and I am from New Orleans. However, the majority of the city was not what was portrayed on CNN. I evacuated like most did; however, I truly believed that the storm would just blow over. We all evacuated for Ivan the year prior only for it to hit P-cola. I know this sounds strange to people not from New Orleans, but during a busy hurricane season evacuations can be a dime a dozen and almost all are false alarms costing families that evacuate upwards of 500-1000 bucks each time for gas a lodging. Thats why people stay and take their chances; however, they do need to be prepared for the consequences.

As for the "welfare culture" comment. Yes there are many people sitting on their asses waiting for a handout, but there are also many areas that have rebuilt without the gov't. So yes I agree with the welfare culture issue but would appreciate it if you would not brand all of us New Orleanians in that manner.

Finally, I would like to put it out there that we don't tell people in California that their city should not be rebuilt because of earthquakes, and we don't tell victims of volcanos that their city will not be rebuilt so why do it to NO. If this country can send millions in aid to tsunami victims the least it can do is take care of its own.

AS FOR THE LAWSUIT ITS B.S. The Navy did not need to be there. They could have soley relied on FEMA(Thats a Joke). I personally thank all that participated in the SAR Rescues in NO.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
FEMA gave me aide for my displacement then demanded it back on a technicality threatening to garnish wages then said I could keep it. It was like dealing with an incompetent PSD on crack. I had no home so I only recieved a small amount. Others recieved much more, spent it on legit stuff and then found themselves thousands in debt when it was demanded back.