• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

SETX07

the rectal rocket. never heard it refered to as that. both the same things. just drink lots and lots of water and you will be fine. if you get the silver bullet you wont know about it until its done and over with (if you were seriouisly a heat case). if you are serioulsy going down in bad shape as a heat case you shouldnt even be concious. so when your in the hills of quantico on a hump and you see that candidate slow down and you hear him behind the platoon screaming from the bullet....he should have pushed himself harder.

Lawman

None
Aren't SNAs and SNFOs NPQ if they pass out, EVER? Would this "silver bullet" be like the "rectal rocket"?

We had an Air guy go down for it in my platoon and not go home so Im gonna go with No on the Semi-official total gouge answer to that one and ask for New Curse words you learned from your platoon Sgt for 400 Alex....

the rectal rocket. never heard it refered to as that. both the same things. just drink lots and lots of water and you will be fine. if you get the silver bullet you wont know about it until its done and over with (if you were seriouisly a heat case). if you are serioulsy going down in bad shape as a heat case you shouldnt even be concious. so when your in the hills of quantico on a hump and you see that candidate slow down and you hear him behind the platoon screaming from the bullet....he should have pushed himself harder.

A little faded tunnel vision, general dillerium, and comprehension loss never hurt nobody. Till your out and unconcious you are still in the fight, suck it up. I remember pushing myself on SULE to do the shuffle shuffle between stations and using the tunnel size of my vision loss as a mark to keep our pace at. If I could see the guy running abreast of me we werent going fast enough.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
If that is who I am thinking of (Golf Co. 2nd Increment Summer 2006) he is a MECEP SSgt (Might be a GySgt now) who is going back this summer.

Dunno if he was technically dead - but he was pretty jacked.
--
Same Company had over 1/4 of it's candidates become casualties on the 9-mile hump/SULE II evolution.

He was in my platoon... prior DI (SSgt) --- Golf CO 1st. Plt. (2nd Incr.) His temp was 107+ and he spent a week in Bethesda (he was critical).

--And yeah we lost alot of people on that 9 - miler... lets just say that the pace was around 4.5-5mph instead of the normal 3.5 (+ record high temps for VA). We got our libo secured for that weekend. Later, the Col. chopped our 12-miler to 9 miles due to this, and pretty much let everyone that got boarded for going down for heat stay to graduate.

Ecureuil444

Habitual Waster of Time
At the risk of sounding like a retard:

Is there plenty of access to water throughout OCS or is it a deal where you're supposed to hydrate at specific times and if you don't you're just screwed?

Lawman

None

Is there plenty of access to water throughout OCS or is it a deal where you're supposed to hydrate at specific times and if you don't you're just screwed?
You consume on average about 3 gallons of water through the course of a day at OCS if your hydrating correctly. However all you really have to go on is the color of your urine and while it will tell you if your not hydrated it will not tell you if your overhydrated. The problem a lot of people had was that with 3 gallons of water running through your system your electrolitic and mineral count is literally flushed out of your system. Thats why you have to salt the crap out of your food, run out of potassium and you can easily fall into a heat stroke no matter how much water is in your system. You need the water to regulate heat by being able to sweat but you need the electrolites to operate your central nervous system effectively so without balance your screwed. During our SULE I evolution many of us were doing shots of the salt packets in your MRE's in order to make up for the massive amount of water we were passing in the heat.

Also there are times when water just isnt available. During the Combat Course and the boots and utes running around we literally came up on 2 differnt tanks that were out on the trail in order for the platoons to reload their canteens and both were empty. By the time the Platoon did the learning course and ran the combat course every one of our canteens were dry.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
3 gallons is quite a bit - that is ~~ 11 canteens.

If you drink TOO much water, without enough potassium and sodium intake, you will get Hyponutrimia - which I got medevac'd for during SULE II. I was hyperventilating uncontrollably and cramping up nearly non-stop, and I had a lot of problems thinking clearly. Luckily, my evaluator had me go first and somehow I managed to pass.

narfmasta

If you drink TOO much water, without enough potassium and sodium intake, you will get Hyponutrimia - which I got medevac'd for during SULE II. I was hyperventilating uncontrollably and cramping up nearly non-stop, and I had a lot of problems thinking clearly. Luckily, my evaluator had me go first and somehow I managed to pass.

During our Pre-OCS deal they had us salt the hell out of our food to get used to it. Didn't taste bad, but that was probably because I was so damn hungry1

Lawman

None

Thats exactly what they were pushing for with us when they gave us the Color Sgt's speech on staying fit and healthy at OCS. Pretty much 10-12 canteens as evenly spread out across the day as possible. I usually cranked about 3 canteens between the time before and following PT and then the other 9 was consumed during the course of the day doing the classroom/squadbay anti-sleep sip method of hydration.

Carno

Insane

For the most part, yes, you will have access to plenty of water. During certain events it may be difficult to refill your canteens, but the staff does their best to make sure every candidate has water.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
For the most part, yes, you will have access to plenty of water. During certain events it may be difficult to refill your canteens, but the staff does their best to make sure every candidate has water.

The problem I had was not staying hydrated at all. You drink tons during classroom sessions to stay awake, as stated above. Getting water in wasn't the problem, it was getting it out. It isn't always convenient.

You know you need to during class, but unless you're on the end seat, you have to walk that tiny gap between the other candidates' knees and the seats in front of them, praying you don't upset any rifles and trying not to disturb the class too much.

Or, worse, say it's just before the PT run in the morning and you are about to burst because you couldn't get your trash together in time to piss before formation. You finish the pre-run exercises feeling the urine back up so high your back teeth turn yellow, but God willing, you must piss before the run.

You have to do the whole, "Candidate So-and-so requests permission to speak to Sergeant Instructor Gunnery Sergeant So-and-so..."

You rehearse it in your head dozens of times before you get up there and sound off, but when you do it you jack it up and they send you back into formation. Then, you have to run the 3-mile with a bladder that is the size of a basketball, full of clear urine.

Running with your legs crossed is a skill.

Lawman

None
The problem I had was not staying hydrated at all. You drink tons during classroom sessions to stay awake, as stated above. Getting water in wasn't the problem, it was getting it out. It isn't always convenient.

You know you need to during class, but unless you're on the end seat, you have to walk that tiny gap between the other candidates' knees and the seats in front of them, praying you don't upset any rifles and trying not to disturb the class too much.

Or, worse, say it's just before the PT run in the morning and you are about to burst because you couldn't get your trash together in time to piss before formation. You finish the pre-run exercises feeling the urine back up so high your back teeth turn yellow, but God willing, you must piss before the run.

You have to do the whole, "Candidate So-and-so requests permission to speak to Sergeant Instructor Gunnery Sergeant So-and-so..."

You rehearse it in your head dozens of times before you get up there and sound off, but when you do it you jack it up and they send you back into formation. Then, you have to run the 3-mile with a bladder that is the size of a basketball, full of clear urine.

Running with your legs crossed is a skill.

Back end of Sandy Trail with a little over a mile to go before Fartlek was over and we had push pulls and crunches after that and Im thinking I gotta take a crap. So then I start running options through my head and I can A. Hold it and Pray B. Be that guy that craps himself during PT or C. Drop trow and pray I can finish before the platoon behind us catches up to me. Luckily I went with option A and pulled it off.

Also your never more secure with your masculenity then when you can stand wedged between two other guys pissing into the same urinal.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Thats exactly what they were pushing for with us when they gave us the Color Sgt's speech on staying fit and healthy at OCS. Pretty much 10-12 canteens as evenly spread out across the day as possible. I usually cranked about 3 canteens between the time before and following PT and then the other 9 was consumed during the course of the day doing the classroom/squadbay anti-sleep sip method of hydration.

10-12 was standard when I rotated through too. The down and dirty of it is that on the humps you're going to be losing more water than you can replace.... everyone is gonna have a high temp., just do your best.

Lawman

None
10-12 was standard when I rotated through too. The down and dirty of it is that on the humps you're going to be losing more water than you can replace.... everyone is gonna have a high temp., just do your best.

Last year Charlie Co (this is right at you Slammer2 you rat bastard :D ) got to use Molle Gear and was issued camelpaks which apparently made the humps a whole lot nicer as far as hydrating went.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Last year Charlie Co (this is right at you Slammer2 you rat bastard :D ) got to use Molle Gear and was issued camelpaks which apparently made the humps a whole lot nicer as far as hydrating went.

:D