• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most Exotic Places You've Landed?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Floyd Bennet field home of the NYPD Air Unit and various other places already mentioned

Nose

pilot
Lexington/Forrestol/Saratoga/Connie/Enterprise/America/JFK/Nimitz/Ike/TR/ABE/GW/Stennis/Reagan?

Or am I just crazy/brainwashed?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Forrestol...Or am I just crazy/brainwashed?
Nope, not crazy/brainwashed. You are merely a poor speller. Probably post-LSO shorthand traumatic syndrome ... :)

The Secretary would be rolling in his grave ... why, some even think he was "pushed" .... :eek:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I second A4s selection...Mogadishu, Somalia...spent 36 days there....
We used to fly P-3s into Mog and Berbera all the time in the late 1980s. CFT-72 even had a leased house in downtown Mog complete with Filipino contract servents to house the P-3 crews.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If by "exotic" you mean Humphrey Bogart-style trench coat, snap brim hat, foggy, foreign, "traditional black & white movie" type of adventure ... then I would have to say old Kai Tak airport, Hong Kong, RCC, hands down.

Or old downtown Shanghai ... 25 years ago ... but then, that would tend to slide back into the "shit" exotic.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Medan and Bande Ache in Indonesia. I can't spell it but an airfield in the small tip of Malaysia (Kodakenablue...something to that effect). Landed at the old Clark AFB in the PI. I also liked landing on Iwo Jima. Landed at an airfield in Oman where the nearest village was something like 700 miles away. I've been to a lot of fields as a COD guy and landed on 9-10 different carriers as well. Just can't remember all the fields.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Corregidor in Manilla Bay, the Phillipines.

Only three different boats: USS George Phillip (FFG-12), USS Constellation (CV-64), and home plate USS Callaghan (DDG-994).

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Floyd Bennet field home of the NYPD Air Unit and various other places already mentioned

Ah, Floyd Bennett Field …short sea-story follows:

4-plane X-country in T-2's, out of Meridian to Floyd Bennet for a fun weekend in the Big Apple. Instructors in front, instrument studs in the back.

Instructor Lead decides to do a fast, sierra hotel night VFR 4-plane break into Floyd Bennett. Lead becomes disoriented out of the break and commences approach to the Flatbush Ave. bridge/causeway instead of the runway. :eek: Suddenlly, 4 T-2's are flying around in the dark in different directions like confused gnats looking for the real duty runway to land upon.

After landing, we four innocent students got to listen to the loudest @$$-chewing I ever heard, coming from inside the Ops. Officer's office with our 4 instructors as the poor dead meat. :D:D

Other places, not too exotic but "interesting":

Da Nang
Khatami, Esfahan Iran
USS Wasp (Not the current LHD, but the old CV-18 with hydraulic cats and I swear had some wooden flight deck.)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ah, Floyd Bennett Field …short sea-story follows: ....Instructor Lead decides to do a fast, sierra hotel night VFR 4-plane break ....
Sounds familiar. As much as I like a good, hard, fast S.H. break with 1-4 planes up on the 450-500 KIAS step and then "BE SOMEBODY fanning it AT THE NUMBERS" ... but I always wondered about the thought patterns of guys who though a "night time" break was "S.H. time" .... :D

Well, the night time ain't no good time .... etc., etc., like the song says ..... I mean .... what's to see???

It's dark .... :eek:

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
... but I always wondered about the thought patterns of guys who though a "night time" break was "S.H. time" .... :D

Well, the night time ain't no good time .... etc., etc., like the song says ..... I mean .... what's to see???

'Zackly!!!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur...Nobody sees a SH night break. Just another opportunity to garner a new callsign.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds familiar. As much as I like a good, hard, fast S.H. break with 1-4 planes up on the 450-500 KIAS step and then "BE SOMEBODY fanning it AT THE NUMBERS" ... but I always wondered about the thought patterns of guys who though a "night time" break was "S.H. time" .... :D

Well, the more things change.........a VAQ squadron decided (I think the CO was the one who made the decision) to do the same after a X-Cntry from Whidbey to Norfolk just a few years ago and a Class A resulted.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, the more things change.........a VAQ squadron decided (I think the CO was the one who made the decision) to do the same after a X-Cntry from Whidbey to Norfolk just a few years ago and a Class A resulted.

And he wasn't the CO for long afterwards.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not exotic, per se, but interesting to a history buff. Landing an Osprey at First Flight airport in Kill Devil Hills about 100m from where Orville and Wilbur flew in 1903.