• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most Exotic Places You've Landed?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
And here I only considered Olathe a refueling stop??? :)Rickenbacker is still open, I flew several cargo originations/terminations from there ... renamed Columbus Regional Airport Authority now ... but I think they still have some ANG units scattered about the perimeter. I could, as usual, be wrong there. :)

Ditto CLARK -- Macapagal International Airport -- freight --- and some of the others as well (CUBI for one example). I think it's more a matter of semantics, as many of these still contain "active functioning runways" .... just not 100 % dedicated to the service of UNCLE as in days past since the BRAC base slaughter of the mid-'90's .... and of course some ARE a smokin' hole in the ground, i.e., NAS DALLAS. Or does the former LTV/Chance Vought still use the runway??

And NQX??? BOCA CHICA closed??? News to me .... say it ain't so!

nqxjw9.gif
bocachica10000feetng3.gif

How about NAS SAND POINT, Seattle??? Not exactly "exotic", but it fits your nostalgia theme .... a.k.a. my first Naval Air flight in the front seat
-- or any other NAVAIR seat, for that matter -- of a C-45 Bugsmasher in this case.

Anyone ??? Anyone ??? NAS SAND POINT: then :) and *sniff* .... now :sleep_125.

nassandpointag2.jpg
sandpointwanowef4.jpg

I took sailing lessons out there at Sand Point. Pretty cool place, all the hangars are still there.

brownshoe

Contributor
I can’t say it was exotic, but how ‘bout strange… We had left Cecil Field and were in a transport heading to Yuma for a Det. Somewhere along the way we had to land with minor engine troubles. When we landed a crew member came back and told us to keep our seats when we came to a stop. Soon after we’d landed AP’s showed up aboard with dogs and “packing heat.” We were told there were painted lines on the tarmac and that we had to follow the green lines when we got off the plane. As I remember there were red, blue, green and yellow. Might have been another color or two, but it was in the late 60’s so please cut me some slack.

When we exited the aircraft we were told to keep our heads down, follow the green line to the tower and not to look around. Inside the tower there were the same colored lines on the floor, again we were to go only places that had green lines. We went to the, well… whatever they call a geedunk in the AF, ate and waited till the plane was back up. We could go any place in the tower where there were green lines and nowhere else. To this day I haven’t a clue where we had landed.

Steve

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well the most 'exotic' would probably have to be Diego Garcia and Wake. A close 3rd would be Bangkok International, the military side. Got to see the Crown Prince's F-5's and a C-47, interesting mix there........

Worst place, location wise.......PSAB.....:(

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I can’t say it was exotic, ....To this day I haven’t a clue where we had landed.

Steve
Want to bet it was Barksdale, LA??? Nukes then, nukes now, comin' in out of the blue w/no PPR and the perpetual uptight Air Police .... watch out !!! :eek::)

brownshoe

Contributor
Want to bet it was Barksdale, LA??? Nukes then, nukes now, comin' in out of the blue w/no PPR and the perpetual uptight Air Police .... watch out !!! :eek::)

No kidding? Is that why they they did a rectum search when I went to the tower slop shop?:eek::) (Just kidding.)

Steve

brownshoe

Contributor
The problem would be if you enjoyed the butt probe.......;)

Good one:)

But if it would have happened... I wouldn't have liked it:) You however seem interested:D

Steve

The landing took place. However the "butt probe" did not.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good one:)

But if it would have happened... I wouldn't have liked it:) You however seem interested:D

Steve

The landing took place. However the "butt probe" did not.

Not interested.......just concerned that you really had 'Crossed into the Blue'........

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Good one... You however seem interested:D......
*Psssst* Steve ... not to worry; there's a reason he "might" be interested .... and you may be dismissive if you like as he's part Canadian. (i.e., his "better half":))

Eh??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The problem would be if you enjoyed the butt probe.......;)
??????? :)

I'm continually amazed at the sideways directions that threads take on Air Warriors ... creativity, free association(s), American ingenuity .... this one started as something along the lines of the "most exotic places you've flown into ....."

Or .... could/would "this" also be considered an "exotic place" ...??? :eek::eek:

Since SOME of us are on a nostalgia kick -- you ALL will be when you get older, believe it :) -- check this link out for all the names you ever wanted/needed to know regarding Navy and Marine air stations CONUS.

Sorry if it's a repost: kill me.

Touch this:
NAVY and MARINE FLYING FIELDS in the USA

(not to be confused with the "Abandoned and Little Known Airfields" site)

I could have sworn BOCA CHICA was shut down. GLAD to hear it isn't! Like I said, the BEST RON spot in CONUS and when it comes to liberty, I'm always right. ;)
OK, and for 1,000 dollars in Double Jeopardy for you OLD farts out there......WHO was affectionately known world wide as "George the Crook". I knew him but I was just a wee lad at the time. My pubes were all still black.