• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most Exotic Places You've Landed?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Took a Cessna out of Boeing Field a couple times. Not First Flight airport, or military, but some history nonetheless.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Djibouti... Not so much worried about Kevlar when going over to file, but whether the guy at the counter would be wearing pants and how far into "Khat Hour" you were.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isla de San Felix (restricted field in the Pacific, "and that's all I have to say about that")

Puerto Williams (southernmost airport in South America)

Easter Island (pretty cool)

Zamboanga PI (chickens and OV-10s on the ramp).

How about places that is no more like:
NAS Olathe KS. Beech Aviation had contract fuel, every 500 gallons got you a
box of ASSKICKING steaks, best I ever had.

NAS Glenzoo Il, Yep, it sucked

Pease AFB, NH When it was a SAC base, colder than a witches tit!

Loring AFB Me.

Norton AFB Ca.

Ritchie Goober AFB, Ks, Absolutely Nowhere, USA

Rickenbacker AFB, Oh

NAF Detroit aka Selfridge

Clark AFB Awwww honey, enig ebig geta, no shit.

NAS Alameda Who would have ever thought????

NAS Cecil

NAS Dallas, Too G*$&#$@& hot for me

Kelly AFB What ever happened to the lone cargo version of the B 36 that was

there?

NAS Memphis

NAS Mayport

NAS Key West No doubt, the BEST RON site state side for a 118 puke who

brought his 850 Norton on dead heads.

NAS South Weymouth Hauled a MG Midget to NAS Andrews in the 70's, pilot

called it "Opportune Cargo" when stopped by the OOD!

I'm sure I missed some, exotic you say? Hmmmmm, Cubi or Palma de Mallorca!

Recidivist

I saw a Hawkeye land at Denpasar, Bali when I was there (2001, I think). That seems like it'd a an excellent field to pull into, what with all the nightclubs and prostitutes :D, although some were blown up by fucking terrorists. Outstanding seafood at the harbor just south of the airport.

Also, Zab, wondered if you'd flown out of the airbase in northern Chile up by Antofogasta (what a piece of shit of a city). They had F-5s for sure when our plane landed in April, but I think some other stuff as well.

/living vicariously

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, Zab, wondered if you'd flown out of the airbase in northern Chile up by Antofogasta (what a piece of shit of a city). They had F-5s for sure when our plane landed in April, but I think some other stuff as well.

Antofaghanistan? Yes. Just last June actually. The VOR-DME indentifier is FAG.

As far as the city? Yeah, not much to do there.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about places that is no more like:
NAS Olathe KS. ...

NAS Olathe? I was recruited, enlisted, (supposed to drill as a reservist but never did because of distance) and eventually was commissioned out of NAS Olathe. (They used to wine and dine recruits at the Playboy club in Kansas City, but I unfortunately missed that with bad timing. Still got wined and dined. Much different times back then. They had quotas to fill and a hot war going on.)

Been to most of those other places too. Didn't realize so many were shut down. Times change.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NAS Olathe? .....They used to wine and dine recruits at the Playboy club in Kansas City ......
And here I only considered Olathe a refueling stop??? :)
WheelsUpHeelsUp said:
How about places that is no more like ....
Rickenbacker is still open, I flew several cargo originations/terminations from there ... renamed Columbus Regional Airport Authority now ... but I think they still have some ANG units scattered about the perimeter. I could, as usual, be wrong there. :)

Ditto CLARK -- Macapagal International Airport -- freight --- and some of the others as well (CUBI for one example). I think it's more a matter of semantics, as many of these still contain "active functioning runways" .... just not 100 % dedicated to the service of UNCLE as in days past since the BRAC base slaughter of the mid-'90's .... and of course some ARE a smokin' hole in the ground, i.e., NAS DALLAS. Or does the former LTV/Chance Vought still use the runway??

And NQX??? BOCA CHICA closed??? News to me .... say it ain't so!

nqxjw9.gif
bocachica10000feetng3.gif

How about NAS SAND POINT, Seattle??? Not exactly "exotic", but it fits your nostalgia theme .... a.k.a. my first Naval Air flight in the front seat
-- or any other NAVAIR seat, for that matter -- of a C-45 Bugsmasher in this case.

Anyone ??? Anyone ??? NAS SAND POINT: then :) and *sniff* .... now :sleep_125.

nassandpointag2.jpg
sandpointwanowef4.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Since SOME of us are on a nostalgia kick -- you ALL will be when you get older, believe it :) -- check this link out for all the names you ever wanted/needed to know regarding Navy and Marine air stations CONUS.

Sorry if it's a repost: kill me.

Touch this:
NAVY and MARINE FLYING FIELDS in the USA

(not to be confused with the "Abandoned and Little Known Airfields" site)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Texarkana, Arkansas! That culture shock is only rivaled by my stay in Meridian.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^ And some of you guys have chided in the past as to the "why" of knowing and doing ADF and other N/P approaches .... ???

This is one reason why "we" ALWAYS practice them and are tested on them every checkride in the 18-wheeler. Because we do them -- frequently -- overseas. Hand's on -- old school -- no glass assist. Especially overseas, but I've done them CONUS as well on the Whale .....

This flight also included then Sec. of Commerce Brown and would have included our airline CEO of the day -- he missed the flight by @ an hour due to poor ground connections at the origin. I guess in his case, they weren't so "poor" after all ....

Bad day ....