• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most Exotic Places You've Landed?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I wanna fly into Barksdale now just because the id for the base is BAD....green lines be dammed!

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I wanna fly into Barksdale now just because the id for the base is BAD....green lines be dammed!

I have stood many a night of alert there. Other than the huge number of buffs there (including a NASA buff), it really isn't all that impressive these days. It is sweet, however, putting BAD as your destination on a 175.

Off topic, but with all the RNAV waypoints that are popping up around the world, what is the most interesting name of a waypoint or combination thereof that you have been cleared to?

I'll give you an example: here at Whiting, there is a new waypoint named INBRD (yes, that's inbred, I am not making this shit up). Out west, the fish points into LAX are named something like MICKY MINNY DONLD, it used to always give me a chuckle to hear asian pilots repeating their clearance back over the HF. I have also been cleared to HEAVN (in the big bend of FL).

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I'll give you an example: here at Whiting, there is a new waypoint named INBRD (yes, that's inbred, I am not making this shit up). Out west, the fish points into LAX are named something like MICKY MINNY DONLD, it used to always give me a chuckle to hear asian pilots repeating their clearance back over the HF. I have also been cleared to HEAVN (in the big bend of FL).

99% sure theres one around Chicago named DITKA

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Off topic, but with all the RNAV waypoints that are popping up around the world, what is the most interesting name of a waypoint or combination thereof that you have been cleared to?......

Honolulu arrivals and approach to 8L = old TV detective series:

SELIC (as in Tom Selleck) :)

THOMA (as in Thomas Magnum)

CANON (as in Cannon -- old TV detective series)

DANNO (Hawai'i 5-0)

BOOKE ... a long time ago it was "BOOKEM", as in "BOOKEM, DANNO" (5-0) .... but when the FEDs went to 5 characters with the advent of the computer for waypoints, they shortened it to "BOOKE" .... easy, not hard to do, typical Fed mindset.

I had the Head-Fed for the HNL ACDO on my jumpseat NRT-HNL and amongst the other 7 hours of chit-chat I mentioned this to him ... I suggested they change "BOOKE" to "BOKEM" for a 5 character return (phonetically, at least) to the original ... kind of a stretch, but he liked the idea and said "YES". :)

Then 9/11 happened and other priorities took over, obviously ... and "BOKEM" remains "BOOKE".

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....Off topic, but ... what is the most interesting name of a waypoint or combination thereof that you have been cleared to?....

Oh yeah, forgot one ...

Up on R-220 on the NOPAC routes, just past Shemya one used to find waypoints:

NYMPH and NIPPLE

Then one (or two? ;)) of the women crewmembers started bitching about it and NIPPLE was renamed .... but NYMPH remains ... :)

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Not too exotic, but as exotic as I have as an H2P on my first WOWU. Flew a MEDEVAC into San Juan, PR to drop off a shoe who'd cut his leg down to the bone. Pretty cool looking ANG base there.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have stood many a night of alert there. Other than the huge number of buffs there (including a NASA buff), it really isn't all that impressive these days. It is sweet, however, putting BAD as your destination on a 175.
Stopped in there on the way to San Dog from NMM (in my car that is) and thought it was up there for the most gorgeous architecture I'd seen on a military base.

Oh, and BUFFs are fricking loud at 200 feet over an open sunroof.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Melville Hall airport in Dominica: the waves wash up over the runway end

Port au Prince Haiti

San Isidro: A military airfield in Dominican Republic: on Wednesdays, they put hay bales across the middle of the runway because they had go cart races on half of it while we were landing and taking off on the other half

Port au Prince Haiti ???? Been there done that circa 1983, I could have sworn I went through a time warp. TONS of Curtiss C 46's and a few Goony Birds around with Trinidad and Tobacco airlines logo's. Hot summer day, first DUMB thing I did was went and got a shot of water from inside the terminal! No aids, malaria or green crud, I survived probably because in mis stream I realized what I was doing. Back to the confines of the C9 I gargled with hot coffee! :eek: